Help Please.....

Guest Slips

Guest Slips

Hello all,

My name is Lee, and I am currently a medic working in Afghanistan. I am on an armed position, but I need a bit of help.

I need to find out how to obtain my old firearms safety class certification. Will this be listed in some data base in TN? Is there a way I can find it out on-line?

Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

In case your wondering...... No, I do not remember the site where I took the class as it has been some time ago.

Lee

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has expired you will have to take the class all over again. If not then just call the dmv for your info on the hcp. You would have to go there in person to get a new one.

If it is your armed license you are talking about the same applies except the department of commerce and insurance handles that. They could give you your license number over the phone. But again you would have to go there in person to get anything else.

Armed license expire in 2 years and the hcp expires in 4 years. Hope this helps.

Ummm....to clarify a little.

Handgun Carry Permit Renewals

How to Renew Your Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

• ALL handgun permit applicants seeking a new, renewal, or replacement permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.
  • Your handgun carry permit will expire four (4) years from the date it is issued.
  • Renewals can be submitted up to six (6) months prior to the expiration date.
  • If the handgun carry permit has been expired greater than 6 months past the expiration date, the applicant will have to start the complete original application process. This includes completing a handgun safety course, paying the $115 fee, being fingerprinted and undergoing a background check.
  • Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.
  • The renewal fee for a handgun carry permit is $50.00. Upon approval of the renewal application, a new permit will be mailed to the Handgun Carry Permit Applicant.
  • A permit holder can submit a Renewal Application at any Driver License Center or renew by mail. To receive a renewal application by mail call (615) 251-8590. The renewal application must be complete and signed by the applicant. The application, CERTIFIED PROOF of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency (no photocopies; documents will NOT be returned) and the $50.00 fee payable by check or money order, can be mailed to the following address:

Tennessee Department of Safety

Handgun Permit Office

1150 Foster Ave.

Nashville, Tn 37243-1000

• Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
  • FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

So to summarize. You can renew your handgun permit up to six months after it has expired. You do not have to pick it up in person if you are renewing. If you don't know where you took the class there is no public database that will give you that information.

If it is an armed guard license you can go to this link to look up you license status and other information: Department of Commerce & Insurance Administration Licence Roster Search

And the renewal requirements and link to the application are here:

Private Protective Services - Armed Security Officer/Guard Requirements

Since you are out of country, I doubt a phone call is all that simple to achieve...much less waiting on hold forever. So here's a link to the contact page that has several email addresses as well as an "email us" link. They should be able to help if they are aware of the situation and can confirm your info:

Private Protective Services - Contact Info

Hope this helps. If you are still having trouble feel free to PM me and I will dig some more.

Edited by Fadex
Guest Slips

I am not worried about the expiries dates or anything. What I am trying to find out is after you take a gun safety course for the purpose of obtaining a concealed carry permit will the certificate be stored anywhere where I can get a new copy. Does it have to be turned into the state or federal government, and if so how can I get proof that I once took the class?

I am not worried about the expiries dates or anything. What I am trying to find out is after you take a gun safety course for the purpose of obtaining a concealed carry permit will the certificate be stored anywhere where I can get a new copy. Does it have to be turned into the state or federal government, and if so how can I get proof that I once took the class?

You got the only certificate. However if you know when and where you took the class they could look it up for you.

Since passing the class is a requirement for the HCP, that proves it to me. If you need further documentation via email this is their page:

Handgun Carry Permits

To the best of my knowledge there is not a public database where you can download a copy of your certificate. I sincerely doubt that the state scans them and puts them on a server.

Maybe some of the instructors on here can chime in about where the certificate goes after the class.

Guest goomba

it is my understanding that the certificate for the completion of the course is only good for about 6 months after you take the course, otherwise you will need to retake the course.

The class instructor sends a class roster to the state, but not the actual certificate showing you completed the class. That is given to you, the student, to take to the Dept of Safety when applying.

AFAIK there is no database online or otherwise that you can access to get a copy of that certificate. Also while I don't know for sure, I doubt you could get a copy from the state.

Your best bet would be as TDR suggested and contact the instructor/school where the class was taken.