LAPD.. Dropping S&W M&P 9mm

Guest FroggyOne2

The M&P compact is just a little too small. The M&P standard model is just a little too big. An M&P .40SW or 9mm in the same size frame as the M&P 45 compact would be perfect.

I have the 9c, and I certainly have big hands. I called S&W and asked to purchase a second magazine finger extension, and they wouldn't hear of it. They sent me one express mail for free! :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest putmanphoto

I purchased a M&P40 compact model and LOVE IT... I have shot it several times, maybe 3 to 400 rds... no problems...

My husband has a Glock 22 - and I have shot it numerous times as well...I have to say the Smith for me is easier to break down...

Until I have issues, I will continue to love it.... just waiting on my 2 free mags to arrive.....

Guest (BH)

well i love mine. i have a mp45 compact and havent had one hiccup so far. its quickly becoming one of my favorite shooters. and you know the old saying: there's a bad apple in every bunch. every product that has ever been mass produced has the occasional error. its just the price of mass, price efficient production.

and anyways if i bought a product that malfunctions, i would sure hope it was made by a company that took great care of its customers the way s&w does.

Guest smithandwesson
not a big fan of the M&P's... IMHO its just another copy SW has begged or borrowed from someone else.

Yes, please tell us what the M&P is a copy of?

Guest Jeremey

I love both of my M&Ps. I have had 2 failures to extract in my 9c out of 3,000 rounds. Both were with a local companies reloads. After I started loading my own I have had no more problems. Both times the empty brass had to be tapped out of the chamber from the muzzle end of the barrel. My fullsizw 40 has eaten everyhting I throw at it and is my daily carry.

I will soon be adding an M&P15 and an M&P revolver in 357 to the collection.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
mousegunner, just read your glock link - pretty cool. Sucks to hear about the M&P line, my buddy just bought one.

The M&P line is good to go. Not sure what you gleaned from this thread, but I'd re-read the whole thing before coming to a conclusion.

Guest 3pugguy

TGO David,

Could you please let us know how you really feel? :(

And frankly, I am shocked, dismayed, and crushed that I can longer trust what I read regarding products on the internet. All this time, I thought the internet was an infallible source of information...dang, another bubble burst.

I mean, come on: different results under different conditions, with different users of the same product? That is just CRAZY TALK...

Ok, I know it's serious but this falls into the "watch out or you'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice with your kidneys gone" and is the downside of the internet - too many opinions posted by too many peole too quickly without supporting evidence or verifiable (and reliable) data.

Guest JHatmaker
I had forgotten about this thread. I'm still wondering who S&W copied the M&P series from.

Me too, I was like "Another agency is dropping them? Didn't one do this like 2 months ago?" ;)

Nothing like a good thread resurrection to confuse the senses.....

Just read in the newest Rifleman mag that the Detroit PD is picking it up (M&P40) along with the S&W AR line. According to their report over 500 agencies are now using the M&P and 211 are using the S&W AR line.

If Detroit is indeed using them we will know for sure how well they work. Talk about a real life torture test!;)

Guest Hi Point
SMITH&WESSON M&P PISTOLS NO LONGER AUTHORIZED FOR LASD USE - PoliceLink

according to Member 18DAI over on the Smith forums.. he said the following.

There have been significant problems with the M&P regarding failures to extract. In addition, one was recieved with an improperly machined barrel that would not eject spent casings.

The memo was issued after a M&P barrel broke into two pieces, just ahead of the firing chamber, a few weeks ago, IIRC. That barrel had less than 10,000 rounds. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a fan of the M&P, having been in on a T&E at my former agency. They chose another plastic gun, and were wise to do so IMHO.

M&P users in that agency are being issued Beretta 92's as replacements.

The 3rd generation pistols are much more reliable, accurate, and a better value, to me. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.

Wow, that is really good to know. The guy that tought my CCW class was ALL about the s&w m&p and I was really close to buying one. Now I have second thoughts.

Wow, that is really good to know. The guy that tought my CCW class was ALL about the s&w m&p and I was really close to buying one. Now I have second thoughts.

Says the HiPoint fan!;) J/k Did you read the whole thread?

Guest ScottD
honestly I'd rather have the Hi point... at least ya know what your getting. Getting an M&P is like a "box of Chocolets"...

Your insecurity of your glock shows in every thread relating to the M&P.