Hypthetical question

Guest Khitan

Guest Khitan

So I was at the Nashville guns show today. I also noticed all the 'shoot me' badges :cheers:. When I walked up they werent legally posted, they werent posted at all. In fact all it said was that you werent to bring a loaded weapon in. Next I was faced with the non-LEO ticket taking 'shoot-me' badge wearing individual who said "are you carrying a gun?". So here is my question .... hypthetically speaking of course:

Since the individual asking wasn't a LEO I was under no obligation to answer the question honestly, and the location wasn't posted for no carry.... if I had lied and said that I didn't have anything on me but later was discovered to be carrying, am I correct in my belief that all that could have happened was that I would be asked to leave?

Thoughts, comments, questions or concerns with my 'hypothetical' situation?

K

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no one has answered yet I'll take a shot. Since he was employed by the show, if he told you not to carry there, even if not posted, you can't. Worst case, If you carried anyway and was caught, I'd say some kind of charges could be taken against you if they wanted to push it. OK, thats how I think things would work out. Some of you others tell me the right answer now.

Guest JHatmaker

I always just say no (even though I'm carrying). But I'll go with the above post as the correct response for this situation. First time I went and saw the "no loaded weapons" sign I was like, what the hell, at a gun show!?

But then realized it's more of a safety issue if people go in there to try out holsters, etc with the gun they are carrying. I can see many accidental shootings taking place.

Guest jos2f

I feel much more comfortable knowing (most) people aren't carrying a loaded gun in there.

Primarily I don't trust most of those idiots walking around with five guns on their belt like they're some western outlaw. More than that, you get the idiots walking around without a holster with their finger on the trigger, or people handling guns keep their finger on the trigger. Just because they're at a gun show does not make them qualified to handle a gun properly lol

That's asking for trouble :up:

Guest Old goat

Come on guys, where are the "if its not properly poated, I can do what I want" folks? We need some hairs split here. :up:

I went to 1 gun show at the armory here in Athens, said no carry. Guy asked if I was, told him yes.

He said can't carry loaded guns into show.

So I removed mag, emptied chamber stuck mag and round into my pocket and asked, How's that?

He said great, stamped my hand and told me to have a great time.:up:

If LE asks the question. I tell them yes. I anyone else asks and the location is not posted correctly, I keep it concealed and keep my mouth shut.

No need to try out a holster:), I already have one.

am I correct in my belief that all that could have happened was that I would be asked to leave?

Probably. But that is not a good assumption to make. You can be arrested for anything; whether or not charges will be filed or you will be convicted is something else. It is my understanding that it’s a $500 citation, not an arrest, but I could be wrong.

Probably. But that is not a good assumption to make. You can be arrested for anything; whether or not charges will be filed or you will be convicted is something else. It is my understanding that it’s a $500 citation, not an arrest, but I could be wrong.

It's not specified in TCA, but $500 would suggest Class B Misdemeanor which would also have possibility of 6 months in stir. Like other misdemeanors, officer generally has discretion of arrest or summons ("ticket").

But agree with you, I do not know that for sure.

I think it's indicative of how few people are ever charged with breaking ANY of the HCP carry statutes, or would be better known.

- OS

So I removed mag, emptied chamber stuck mag and round into my pocket and asked, How's that?

From what I have seen at gun shows in Knoxville (at both locations) is they will confiscate your ammo, not let you put it in your pocket and go on. I have seen them do that. They have signs saying no loose ammunition or loaded magazines.

I generally would either go with the idea of concealed is concealed, or leave the bullets in the car.

From what I have seen at gun shows in Knoxville (at both locations) is they will confiscate your ammo, not let you put it in your pocket and go on. I have seen them do that. They have signs saying no loose ammunition or loaded magazines.

I generally would either go with the idea of concealed is concealed, or leave the bullets in the car.

I agree but I was close enough to the car to turn around, I just wanted to see the reaction.

It's not specified in TCA, but $500 would suggest Class B Misdemeanor which would also have possibility of 6 months in stir. Like other misdemeanors, officer generally has discretion of arrest or summons ("ticket").

But agree with you, I do not know that for sure.

I think it's indicative of how few people are ever charged with breaking ANY of the HCP carry statutes, or would be better known.

- OS

As far as carry in a posted location...you probably could be arrested or cited.

I too believe it is a Class B misdemeanor based on the $500 fine, however I don't think there is any jail time associated with a conviction.

39-17-1359 doesn't mention jail time. While signs requirements for schools (39-17-1309) and parks (39-17-1311) mention both fines and jail time.

Other off limits statutes simply mention that a violation is a Class __ misdemeanor within the code. So I would guess a judge has the discretion to impose whatever judgment he wants (fine and/or jail) up to maximum in those cases.

I agree but I was close enough to the car to turn around, I just wanted to see the reaction.

I know what you mean.

I know it kind of goes against most everything I think about needing to be armed, but I feel really safe from crime at a gunshow. The only crime there is rip off priced ammo and caveat emptor firearms.