Mid Tn attorney referral

I don't personally know any lawyers so I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with any around the Mid TN area. I need to find one that is knowlegeable in bankruptcy laws. My former employer is trying to get out of paying me wages owed by filing bankruptcy. Their lawyer told me to seek legal council for further help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw that, make a big sign that says "this guy is a bankrupt loser" and park in front of his house. Make him know you are going to be paid and your first in line. You do not need a lawyer for that!

What his lawyer is telling you is good luck, get in line at bankruptcy court, see you at the next filing date. Unless he is going to turn right around and continue to work after restructuring his debt, your probably not going to see those wages.

I was able to find this. Hope it helps some.

The rest of an employee's claim for wages, salaries, or commissions is treated as a general unsecured claim.

For example, if you are owed $15,000 in unpaid wages earned before the bankruptcy filing and the employer files for bankruptcy, the amount of that compensation earned within 180 days before the filing (up to $10,000) will receive "priority" treatment and will be paid ahead of other general unsecured prepetition claims.

If all $15,000 was earned within the 180 days, you will have a $10,000 priority claim and a $5,000 general unsecured prepetition claim that waits in line further down the list of claims eligible for payment.

EDIT: I just realized that the above info is for the State of Ohio. I wasn't able to find anything about Tennessee, but every other state I was able to find had very similar laws. Most seemed to have a period of 90 days, rather than the 180 days listed above.

You should be able to find about a dozen pages of bankruptcy attorneys in the Yellow Pages.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Yep, they are filing the chp 13 restructure bankruptcy and TN does give wages to employees priority ahead of the other debtors supposedly. I was thinking on doing the sign and bullhorn in front of the hangar where the business is for all the potential customers driving down Murfreesboro Rd to see.

I'll throw one more into the hat... Barry Tidwell at Price & Tidwell in Murfreesboro is a friend of mine, and though I have never had to use him, I understand he is an excellent lawyer. (Whatever THAT means!:pleased:) His office number is 615-893-1239, and tell him James at Farmers Insurance sent you. He'll give you a free consultation and discuss this with you, and then you guys can go on from there.

Even if you've already chosen another lawyer, I'd still give him a call. There's so much to these cases that it would probably be good for you to talk to at least 2 or 3 different lawyers.

And Brian, I'm sorry for the crap you're dealing with. It just ain't right. If I can help in any other way, just let me know.