Pistols Available in 1885

Guest Dr. Pepper

Guest Dr. Pepper

Hey Guys,

Quick question: Was there a pistol available in the 1880's that would be light enough for a woman in the old west to carry around in her dress for protection? I'm not having any luck finding this information on the web. Probably because I don't know what kind of questions to ask.

Thanks!

--Dr. Pepper

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Bond Arms and American Derringer make those little 2 shot .22's. Not sure what brands were available back then, but from what I've seen, ladies carried these in their garders...

Guest Papabear
Hey Guys,

Quick question: Was there a pistol available in the 1880's that would be light enough for a woman in the old west to carry around in her dress for protection? I'm not having any luck finding this information on the web. Probably because I don't know what kind of questions to ask.

Thanks!

--Dr. Pepper

It would more than likely be some type of Derringer. Colt and several other companys made then, There were also pocket pistols made anywhere from 1849 through the early 1900's with short barrels. Some Colt Lightning double actions were also carried as pocket pistols made around 1877.

Guest Dr. Pepper

Thanks guys! Those are some good responses. I bet those Colt Lightnings would have worked. Someone told me it wouldn't be plausible. The gun would rip right through a woman's pocket if they carried it there. Maybe that's true. I don't know. They also said it would have made it impossible for the woman to move around and do housework and whatnot. True? I don't know. I've never held one of those guns and so I don't know how cumbersome they would be to carry.

Guest Papabear
Thanks guys! Those are some good responses. I bet those Colt Lightnings would have worked. Someone told me it wouldn't be plausible. The gun would rip right through a woman's pocket if they carried it there. Maybe that's true. I don't know. They also said it would have made it impossible for the woman to move around and do housework and whatnot. True? I don't know. I've never held one of those guns and so I don't know how cumbersome they would be to carry.

Well I would not think a woman of the time would be armed while doing housework. If they were around the home they would more than likely rely on a long gun for anything that a firearm would be needed for. The most popular gun's for conceled carry would be the derringer or pepperbox.

Oh boy, they made some neat little guns in the 1880s. The Ruger Bearcat is based on the little 1856 Remington Police Pocket .31 and .36 caliber, which was a very sturdy pocket pistol. Remington also made the famous Double Derringer at this time. Smith and Wesson started with small .22s which were in that size range. There were many different companies making neat little topbreak Revolvers in .32 caliber, most of them nickeled. This was actually the era of the little revolver and derringers. They weren't "Dick (Detective) specials" ,they were "Gambler's Specials" Some were engraved in Gold fill and had real pearl handles. They were pretty. This the source of Patton's famous remark , "Only a New Orleans Pimp carries a pearl handled gun." Every "professional" lady had at least one derringer or revolver on her. I'm sure many other decent women also carried the little guns in their purses. Back East the little guns actually took the lion's share of the gun market.

Edited by wjh2657
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr. Pepper

The reason I wondered is because I got into a disagreement with my father about a book. The main character lived in Arizona during 1885-1895 and carries a pistol in her apron pocket while at home. She lived in a rough area and did have a rifle in her home as well. My father argued that the author hadn't done enough research about guns. She'd obviously never held one, he claimed, otherwise she would know that a full-size pistol would rip through her apron.

Anyway, it bugged me because I thought the portrayal accurate. But what do I know? I'm a "girl." So he had slammed the book and I wanted to know if it would have been feasible or plausible for a frontier-woman to carry a pistol in her apron. I have heard that women's aprons at that time were made of canvas and other sturdy materials, so it could have held a gun. She chose to carry after several experiences of not having her rifle with her when she needed it. Anyway, I just don't think this author would write about guns without having done the research into what a woman could have carried back then. But what do I know?

Thanks for your responses, guys. They've been really helpful. :lol:

Guest bkelm18

I was actually watching Guns & Ammo TV yesterday and they did a piece on a little revolver from back then (I think it was a .41, forget who made it) but it was very similar in size to a snub nose J frame.

Harrington and Richardson (H&R), Iver Johnson, and Merwin Hulbert were all making quality top break pocket pistols in .32 S&W and .38 S&W during this period (1880-1890.) It is not generally known but Merwin Hulbert made a .38 S&W model with a 3.5" barrel that was the police standard during this period, setting the stage for the later arrival of the Smith and Wesson .38 Military and Police Revolver (later Model 10.) It is also a well hidden fact that Colt actually produced more units of its .31 and .36 caliber pocket pistols than it did Single Action Armys. Top Break pocket pistols were available in almost any Hardware or General Store in the 1880s.

As far as carrying one in an apron, my Grandfather carried a nickeled H&R .32 S&W in his slack's pocket, (he was a Justice of the Peace and authorized carry at that time,) anytime he was away from the house.