New "MagPul" Phone Cases

• Moderators

Maybe it was just me, maybe it was a few others along with me, but I always loved the MagPul phone cases and considered them the cream of the crop for drop protections and a "normal" case. Of course there were "better cases" but for "normal use" I absolutely loved them. However, they stopped creating updated models sometime around the iPhone 6 or so.

Today, I just so happened to find "EGO TACTICAL". To me, they look 99.9% just like the MagPul cases, so much so that I wonder if either they were manufacturing the cases for MagPul or if MagPul sold the design to them.

They are available via Amazon, has anyone tried them? Some reviews on Reddit state that they are identical to the MagPul cases, just a different logo.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to get one right now or upgrade my phone first.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

For my money the Magbak classic case is the best phone case ever invented.  Like many things - it excels when you get the whole system squared away.

It's a great case by itself.  The integrated magnets means you can stick your phone to anything ferro-based.  It's surprisingly handy in the gym and in the kitchen.  It ships with tiny magnetic strips that will let you stick it about anywhere - so this works great in the car.

I also use the wallet that's perfect for holding about 3-4 cards and a little cash.

https://magbak.com/products/magbak-for-iphone-16-series?variant=41908780367953

It's a bit more than the generic Amazon case - but I think it's worth it.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

For my money the Magbak classic case is the best phone case ever invented.  Like many things - it excels when you get the whole system squared away.

It's a great case by itself.  The integrated magnets means you can stick your phone to anything ferro-based.  It's surprisingly handy in the gym and in the kitchen.  It ships with tiny magnetic strips that will let you stick it about anywhere - so this works great in the car.

I also use the wallet that's perfect for holding about 3-4 cards and a little cash.

https://magbak.com/products/magbak-for-iphone-16-series?variant=41908780367953

It's a bit more than the generic Amazon case - but I think it's worth it.

How does it compare to Rokform, if you've ever tried that?

It looks like the Magbak keeps Magsafe compatibility. That's good.

• Admin Team

It doesn't have the twist lock mechanism - it's much more streamlined with the magnetic attachment it uses.  

If I was going to be on a mountain bike or something like that, I might choose something like the Rokform.  But, for day-to-day use, I like how the magnetic strips just blend in.  They're neodymium - so they're super strong.  I have them on the boat, in the car, there's one in my closet, etc.  But the magnets in the case are strong enough that when I bush hogged a couple of weeks ago, I just stuck it to the side of the roll bar.  I bounced around 15 acres of old corn field and it stayed put the whole time.