Ruger American .556 Ranch Generation 2?Bolt action

jeff43

I have a gen 2 Mini 14 Ranch, if that is what you are talking about. The one I have fires 226 or 556. My son in law also has a Mini 14 gen 2. Both rifles are fairly accurate, but not tack drivers. Mine will shoot 1 1/2 groups with most ammo. I have never put it through the ringer, on accuracy, because it is sufficient for what I wanted the rifle for. 

My understanding is the gen 1 were not as accurate although I never owned a gen 1. I probably have fired 400 rounds through the one I have using 4 different brands of 223 and 556 with no problems in the reliability department. Fires both equally well. The one I have satisfies me. I never expected to fire 5 round groups that a dime would cover. Don't believe my Mini will ever do that. 

My Mini is fun to shoot, however can get into one's pocket where ammo is concerned. I just do not have the funds to shoot as much as I once did. Mostly concentrate on my EDCs now.

Edited to add; We purchased ours at Wal Mart a couple years after the gen 2s came out. I memory serves both were around the 500.00 mark each after taxes several years ago.  

Edited by pop pop
  • jeff43 changed the title to Ruger American .556 Ranch Generation 2?Bolt action

I just bought 3 new American Ranch Rifles in Gen 1. One in 5.56, one in 300BO and one in 7,62 x 39. I do not like the buttstock cut into two pieces to make it adjustable on the Gen 2  I am not too crazy about the looks of the black cheek riser either. I've always gotten about 1.5 inch groups out of the gen 1's. I can not imagine the Gen 2's being much better. The Gen 2's are only about $45 more than the Gen 1's at familyfirearms.com/ I thought I better go ahead and get a few of the Gen 1's while I still can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eRay said:

I just bought 3 new American Ranch Rifles in Gen 1. One in 5.56, one in 300BO and one in 7,62 x 39. I do not like the buttstock cut into two pieces to make it adjustable on the Gen 2  I am not too crazy about the looks of the black cheek riser either. I've always gotten about 1.5 inch groups out of the gen 1's. I can not imagine the Gen 2's being much better. The Gen 2's are only about $45 more than the Gen 1's at familyfirearms.com/ I thought I better go ahead and get a few of the Gen 1's while I still can.

I’ve saw the Gen 1’s some places quite a bit cheaper than the Gen 2’s. I like the looks of the spiral barrel on the Gen 2’s , but if that’s  the only difference I will go with the gen1 for price.Im a cheap a$$.😂😂

Are you shooting factory loads or do you reload?

Edited by jeff43
2 hours ago, jeff43 said:

I’ve saw the Gen 1’s some places quite a bit cheaper than the Gen 2’s. I like the looks of the spiral barrel on the Gen 2’s , but if that’s  the only difference I will go with the gen1 for price.Im a cheap a$$.😂😂

Are you shooting factory loads or do you reload?

I am just using factory Federal Hi Shok soft point. If you check familyfirearms.com they are not charging sales tax. I got 3 Gen 1's for $448 each. The Gen 2's were $494. Only downside they charged $20 shipping on each one instead of packing them together to make it cheaper. I am old and like things simple. The Gen 2's look to me like they were designed by Mattel or Pfisher Price. Keep it simple.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, eRay said:

I am just using factory Federal Hi Shok soft point. If you check familyfirearms.com they are not charging sales tax. I got 3 Gen 1's for $448 each. The Gen 2's were $494. Only downside they charged $20 shipping on each one instead of packing them together to make it cheaper. I am old and like things simple. The Gen 2's look to me like they were designed by Mattel or Pfisher Price. Keep it simple.

Thanks