Prayers for Western NC and surrounding areas

• Moderators

I grew up in Marshall, NC a small town about 20 minutes north of Asheville. The entire Western NC area is having major flooding with 2 dams failing. Trees have been blown down and power is out in most of the area. The last texts I received from friends said it looked like a war zone over a vast area. 

My hometown has a foot of water from the French Broad River running down main street. 

The Pigeon River has washed part of I40 away and both directions out of Newport are shut down. 

People are stranded, missing, etc. Communications are down in most of the area. 

Below is a screenshot from an announcement by the power company in that area. 

Attach31513_20240927_160519.thumb.jpg.0be4564de612c021b4ba7537f24fac1e.jpg

• Like 1

Elizabethton and Carter County are washing away as well. There is only 12 inches of room at the bottom of the Covered Bridge and Doe River hasn't crested. Downtown is a mess, Sycamore Shoals area is inundated and the hospital is being evacuated. All my friends are in a panic or in shock. 

Just now, MacGyver said:

Prayers for sure.

I’ve got people in Keaton Beach and elsewhere in the Big Bend area. We’re expecting a total loss event. 

I don't see how some of those coastal cities will remain insurable much longer. I saw one of them has been hit multiple times in the last 3 years. Doesn't seem sustainable for insurance companies. 

1 hour ago, RED333 said:

Just talked to my brother in Maryville, all OK there. Prays for all effected by the heavy rain and wind.

Yep, Hell-ene only blew the trees and loose debris around for a couple of hours.  We're counting our blessings.  Yet, it's not over for a lot of folks out yonder.

• Admin Team
11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I don't see how some of those coastal cities will remain insurable much longer. I saw one of them has been hit multiple times in the last 3 years. Doesn't seem sustainable for insurance companies. 

There’s a reason those places haven’t been built up.  They’re basically salt marsh - and they’re used to regular flooding.  Most “houses” are cinder block inside and out.  It’s not uncommon to see furniture up on cinder blocks when people aren’t there.

Places like steinhatchee and cedar key are more built up - but the general architectural style remains roughly the same.