Who else likes pocket pistols?

Like I said in my intro, one of things I collect are .32ACP pocket guns. I decided to pull out a few of my more interesting examples

Top left is a Frommer Stop in 7,65. This is one of the strangest pocket guns out there. The recoil spring sits on top, which is pretty uncommon. However, the oddest thing about this pistol is that uses a rotating bolt, similar to what you'd find in an AK. There was even a machine pistol version of it. Two pistols, upside down, each with 25 round magazines, are mounted in a little tripod. I assume the Hungarians had worries that the rabbits would rise up against them

Top right is a French "Unique" pistol. This one features an acceptance stamp showing that it was in use with the Moroccan police

Bottom right is a German Dreyse M1907. The Dreyse was fairly innovative for its day in that it's striker fired and the firing pin protruded out of the back so you could see/feel if it was cocked

Bottom left is the venerable Colt M1903 pocket hammerless. As far as vest guns go, none are more classy. I actually carry mine from time to time. Makes you feel like an old tyme detective searching gin-joints for a dangerous dame with gams that don't quit

In the center is a CZ 27. This one features several Waffenampt markings indicating that it was accepted into service with the German military in WWII. The fact that it is blued rather than parkerized would indicate that this was produced just before or early into the German occupation of Prague. This one is magnificent. The bluing is still deep and rich and the trigger even retains its factory straw bluing. Whoever it was issued to clearly didn't do much with it.

Honorable mention: Maxine. Like all cats she feels the need to make an appearance when the guns come out

Hope you folks enjoy the post.

PXL_20240924_004944396.MP.jpg

PXL_20240924_005131265.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Interesting collection, sir. Thanks for sharing. You might consider adding a few Savage handguns. The 51 Remington is another interesting specimen to keep an eye out for.

To answer your question, I like the pocket pistols. I’ve never owned any of the models you show here. That’s a really cool collection for sure!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Love 1

I actually got my first Savage .32 earlier this year at the Tennessee Military Collectors show down in Franklin. Haven't taken it to the range yet, but I've always wanted one. I'd hoped to find an early one with the metal grips, but the one I ended up with will do just fine.

I've got a Remington Model 51, but it's the .380 version. I keep hoping to run into someone with the .32ACP model who wants to trade. 

• Like 2

I am a pocket pistol fan and that is my EDC, however I like your collection of 32s'. I have never carried anything less than a 380, however there is not a lot of difference in the 32 and 380 as far as effectiveness is concerned. 

I tend to dress around my pocket guns and do carry almost mid/micro size revolver (K frame 7 shot) and a Ruger Max 9 (micro 14Shot ext mag). My wife fusses at me for wearing deep pocket Carpenter Jeans and dress trousers that are 1 size too large. Carhart jeans work well also.

I have the capability to carry a S W M P 9C 2.0 IWB if I feel the need for more rounds(16). Pocket carry is my preferred carry mode. The only thing bothers me is drawing when seated. When I travel I always have the S W MP in the consol to grab in a pinch. Also my wife can use it as one of us always stays in my truck. Fuling up is the most dangerous thing we do on the road, IMO.  

3 hours ago, BigK said:

Impressive collection. I especially like the CZ27.

I've almost bought one several times, but never found the right deal. 

This one was odd. It fell into my lap at a very reasonable price from a notable dealer in this space. The price was cheap enough I had an immediate 'What's wrong with it?' reaction. That said, it's legit and it shoots great. I guess every once and a while you find a deal. 

• Like 2

Nice collection,  smallest I have right now is .380, except for a couple .22lr pocket guns if they count, LOL.  I had a Beretta .32 at one time but sold it.  Wish I hadn’t.  There used to be a doctor on here from Chattanooga, named mouse or something like that.  He collected what he called mouse guns.  I sold him a titan .35 auto once.  My youngest son who used to travel between nashville and Chattanooga, took it to him and said he was a really nice guy.  Think he got cancer and passed though.

2 hours ago, Defender said:

Nice collection,  smallest I have right now is .380, except for a couple .22lr pocket guns if they count, LOL.  I had a Beretta .32 at one time but sold it.  Wish I hadn’t.  There used to be a doctor on here from Chattanooga, named mouse or something like that.  He collected what he called mouse guns.  I sold him a titan .35 auto once.  My youngest son who used to travel between nashville and Chattanooga, took it to him and said he was a really nice guy.  Think he got cancer and passed though.

I've got a Beretta "New Puma" .32 and it's a really nice gun for what it is. Shoots straight and reliably.

The only .22 pocket pistol I have is this hilariously dumb thing. It's an Italian copy of a Mossberg Brownie. Runs .22 Short and Long. 22LR brass seems to be just a smidge too long and makes extraction difficult so I just shoot .22 Short in it. 

image.png.e6e593428fec8491f5fbf5f62a1ba6d2.pngimage.png.552f5e4dd4fa777f827b7701bba0e5aa.pngimage.thumb.png.8cca06a73439380695270adf9471e8a3.png

• Like 2
8 hours ago, pop pop said:

I am a pocket pistol fan and that is my EDC, however I like your collection of 32s'. I have never carried anything less than a 380, however there is not a lot of difference in the 32 and 380 as far as effectiveness is concerned. 

I tend to dress around my pocket guns and do carry almost mid/micro size revolver (K frame 7 shot) and a Ruger Max 9 (micro 14Shot ext mag). My wife fusses at me for wearing deep pocket Carpenter Jeans and dress trousers that are 1 size too large. Carhart jeans work well also.

I have the capability to carry a S W M P 9C 2.0 IWB if I feel the need for more rounds(16). Pocket carry is my preferred carry mode. The only thing bothers me is drawing when seated. When I travel I always have the S W MP in the consol to grab in a pinch. Also my wife can use it as one of us always stays in my truck. Fuling up is the most dangerous thing we do on the road, IMO.  

The Ruger Max 9 is a nice bit of kit. My EDC is a Sig P365 XL. I used to carry a Glock 23, but that little Sig fits my body so much better and I get 15 rounds.

I briefly owned a M&P 9c, but for whatever reason I just could not get good with it. Shooting the Sig I can dump a magazine center-of-mass without issue, but I was all over the place with that S&W. Ended up selling it to a buddy who seems to be a natural with it. 

11 hours ago, noid said:

This one was odd. It fell into my lap at a very reasonable price from a notable dealer in this space. The price was cheap enough I had an immediate 'What's wrong with it?' reaction. That said, it's legit and it shoots great. I guess every once and a while you find a deal. 

Also on my .32acp list is an original CZ Scorpion. I would start reloading that caliber if I had one.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, BigK said:

Also on my .32acp list is an original CZ Scorpion. I would start reloading that caliber if I had one.

Just bought a Southern Tactical Vz61. I'm about to Form 1 it. Then I can rock it like every generic Slavic bad guy from an 80's action movie 

• Wow 1

Speaking of pocket pistols.... I've had this little Beretta Tomcat in .32, for about 30 years.  It is a nice and reliable pocket carry.  I did "jazz it up" a bit by adding some new grips.  Makes it a little more bulky.  

27BerettaTomcat.32cal..thumb.JPG.a0ce741c2cb4dca06a047138a86f1c0d.JPG27bBerettaTomcat.thumb.jpg.094def8b20b27fc2c91510fccb8b6471.jpg

• Like 2

Noid, I just recently took my EDC's out and practiced with them. The Max 9 shoots on target for me. I put 2 mags of Winchester Defense High pressure S D ammo through it and can shoot it well for 76 Y O hands. Also took my 7 shot revolver 357 Mag and MP 9c and fired my old carry ammo in them. I fire the carry ammo every 6 months to keep it fresh. 

I really like the Max 9 for pocket carry. Purchased a Hellcat for my son-in-law, which is a micro also, but have not fired it yet. 

Edited to add; Choatecav, I had a little Beretta like yours but it was kinda hard to manipulate in my hands, so I traded it for a Colt Pocketlite in 380, which I carried for several years back when I had much more control of my hands. Arthritis and neuropathy have griped my hands now, so I need something a little larger in my pocket.  

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Speaking of pocket pistols.... I've had this little Beretta Tomcat in .32, for about 30 years.  It is a nice and reliable pocket carry.  I did "jazz it up" a bit by adding some new grips.  Makes it a little more bulky.  

27BerettaTomcat.32cal..thumb.JPG.a0ce741c2cb4dca06a047138a86f1c0d.JPG27bBerettaTomcat.thumb.jpg.094def8b20b27fc2c91510fccb8b6471.jpg

I had one of those that I sold that I really wish I’d kept, like a lot of guns.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, pop pop said:

Noid, I just recently took my EDC's out and practiced with them. The Max 9 shoots on target for me. I put 2 mags of Winchester Defense High pressure S D ammo through it and can shoot it well for 76 Y O hands. Also took my 7 shot revolver 357 Mag and MP 9c and fired my old carry ammo in them. I fire the carry ammo every 6 months to keep it fresh. 

I really like the Max 9 for pocket carry. Purchased a Hellcat for my son-in-law, which is a micro also, but have not fired it yet. 

Edited to add; Choatecav, I had a little Beretta like yours but it was kinda hard to manipulate in my hands, so I traded it for a Colt Pocketlite in 380, which I carried for several years back when I had much more control of my hands. Arthritis and neuropathy have griped my hands now, so I need something a little larger in my pocket.  

Pop, yeah, it is a bit small in my hands, too.  I am 6'7" and have pretty good size hands..... but it beats carrying a sharp stick.  I also have a Ruger LCP that I like better.  I bought a North American Arms in .22 mag.  Again, very small, but can be used as a "get off me" gun.  NAAPug.thumb.jpg.4edee4537273131fea0ee3c43eaa6457.jpg

I have pocket carried ever since TN passed the Concealed Carry Law bake when. Always carry in a good holster that covers the trigger. Neve carry anything in the gun pocket except my EDC and its holster. Have always strived to be as safe as possible where carry is concerned. 

I believe any gun is useful no matter the caliber. I don't know many people who want to be shot with any caliber. I am sure there are thugs walking about who will test a man's resolve and I met 3 one day. The 32 is the smallest I have ever carried and I used a flip up barrel Tomcat but it was just too small for my liking so I went to the Colt Pocketlite in 380 and carried it for 6 years.  I researched the 32 quite a bit and most have the opinion it is a good caliber and is a fairly effective caliber. I was convinced enough to carry it for a while just didn't like the pistol I had. 

I recently read a book the security guard (Carl Chinn) wrote about a couple church shootings he was involved with. He was present with a 32 in his hand as the perp walked into the Colorado church campus in which he was security for. The perp had an AR 15 and a 9 MM and 40 caliber pistol on him. He had already killed several on another campus and shot 3 in the parking lot of Carl's church as he came in. The perp drove 70 miles away from the first campus, the came to the church where Carl was head of security for on the same Sunday morning. Carl said he seen the shooter shoot out he glass in the locked door and enter, coming in armed to the teeth, and he realized he was going to face him down with a very small 32 7 shot pistol. Luckly for him, Jean Assam stepped out, just in front of Carl, from a parallel hallway and confronted the shooter with her Beretta 9 mm Police service pistol and stopped his assault. Jean had been a former Police officer shortly before she had volunteered to be on the armed security team in the mega Colorado church. Carl got a bigger pistol to carry after this confrontation. 

Jean Assam has a web site, and you can Google her name and read her story if you like. 

I am not on a security team and I know most of you all are not also. Don't have plans of getting into a running gun battle with anyone today either. The 32 should do an adequate job for self-defense although I choose to carry a 9 MM or 357 today, because I can. Helps my confidence level. I, like Carl Chinn, felt under gunned with my little flip up brl Beretta Tomcat. If it works for you, then do it.  

Edited to add content.

Edited by pop pop

While I have several “pocket” pistols and regular carry one, in the role of a security job, or if I knew that I was heading into a possible serious situation, a “pocket” pistol is not going to be my primary. One of my Glocks is going to be riding my hip. Though my Ruger LCP Max would likely be in my front pocket.

”Pocket” pistols have their place though. And I do enjoy shooting them. I’m on the hunt for a nice .32 ACP. Considering there aren’t many on the market currently, I’m starting to look at the little Beretta Tomcat. Though I’d really like to find a nice Walther PP/PPK/PPKs or Beretta Cheetah 81. I’ve also considered VZ70 or other Commblock .32, but I’m concerned about parts availability for those.

I purchased 2 different PPK pistols and could get neither one to fire consistently. Sent both back to the factory and still no firing without hiccups multiple times. Really liked the package and want to carry one.

If I were looking for that package today, I would purchase the Bersa 9 MM. IMO, they are "Maby" not better but all I have ever seen were totally reliable in 380 and 9 MM. 

19 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I purchased 2 different PPK pistols and could get neither one to fire consistently. Sent both back to the factory and still no firing without hiccups multiple times. Really liked the package and want to carry one.

If I were looking for that package today, I would purchase the Bersa 9 MM. IMO, they are "Maby" not better but all I have ever seen were totally reliable in 380 and 9 MM. 

I have only tried their blowback style pistols, which are 100% reliable. 

On 9/29/2024 at 7:12 AM, Moped said:

While I have several “pocket” pistols and regular carry one, in the role of a security job, or if I knew that I was heading into a possible serious situation, a “pocket” pistol is not going to be my primary. One of my Glocks is going to be riding my hip. Though my Ruger LCP Max would likely be in my front pocket.

”Pocket” pistols have their place though. And I do enjoy shooting them. I’m on the hunt for a nice .32 ACP. Considering there aren’t many on the market currently, I’m starting to look at the little Beretta Tomcat. Though I’d really like to find a nice Walther PP/PPK/PPKs or Beretta Cheetah 81. I’ve also considered VZ70 or other Commblock .32, but I’m concerned about parts availability for those.

I have a Vz70 and really like it. For me it's a range toy, but I could see carrying it. That steel frame sucks up the recoil from the little .32 cartridge. You can dump the magazine center of mass with no issues. 

Unfortunately it seems like the examples I come across these days are pretty beat up. I was lucky enough to grab one when they first came into the country in bulk

• Like 2