Why not more open carry?

I have several friends in Florida who often ask me why open carry is not practiced more in Tennessee.  What's your thoughts as to why open carry is not exercised regularly by more people?

To elaborate, these Florida friends are 2A enthusiasts who are frustrated that despite Florida being referred to as the "Gunshine State," open carry is legally allowed under only a very narrow set of circumstances.  Every year these 2A enthusiasts petition their State legislators to pass a bill allowing for open carry as so many states have, but it never goes anywhere.  In a type of protest which they claim is educate the public, but I feel is also to poke the bear, some of the enthusiasts push the intended limits of the narrow set of circumstances allowing for open carry in Florida.  The Armed Fisherman (Soloyaker) on You Tube is a prime example.

I'm familiar with the arguments of why many feel concealed carry is the smarter option over open carry.  When Florida friends ask me why I personally don't open carry here in TN where I'm allowed to do so on a daily basis, I tell them honestly that it's a pain for me to open carry.  For me, open carry is uncomfortable when seated in my automobiles.  That is because I carry a larger gun than I do when concealed carrying.  Wearing the OWB holster on my hip does not work well with the seats in my autos as a smaller CCW gun does in appendix position.  Also, carrying a larger frame gun when open carrying drags down my pants no matter how good of a belt I use.  In addition, I prefer not to call attention to myself, which I feel open carry does even in a state such as TN.  Some of the friends also don't grasp that no gun signs carry the weight of law in TN in a way that signs don't in Florida. 

Regardless, when I think about it I too am surprised that as I go about my daily stuff in TN and travel often to NC, GA, and AL, I go weeks and weeks, often many months, without seeing a single person open carrying.  Does everybody avoid it for the same reasons I do?  Does everyone feel concealed is smarter than OC despite all of the 2A enthusiasts in FL clamoring for open carry?  Am I just not aware or am I in the wrong places to see open carry happening here?

I see open carry from time to time, and honestly, I wish those folks would conceal. We all know that LOTS of people are uncomfortable seeing a sidearm strapped to a hip. My preference is concealed for few reasons: I don't want to call undue attention to myself. I don't want to cause worry to others. I don't like the idea of being the first target if some nutcase decides to start shooting inside a store that I'm visiting.

I carry unconcealed when I'm walking in the woods and often on my own property. But in every other circumstance I want to be as discrete as possible. I suspect that a sizeable proportion of those who carry openly do so just because they can, not because it fulfills a necessary purpose.

• Like 1

I think open carry is dumb and FAR too often the only people I see open carrying have some sorry, poor excuse for a holster and usually a cheaper handgun to go with it - all which tells me they are probably new, not very trained and/or experienced in actual practice/training.  I saw one person at a family event open carrying a LCP, seriously!?

Also, it screams "look at me, I have a gun, this means I'm xxxx".

Plus if a situation comes up where you need a firearm, they have possibly already given away one their best tools - the element of surprise. If I was a bad guy going to rob or shoot up a place and saw someone open carrying, I'd just off them first then start the mayhem.

And another thing, it probably makes anti-gun people more nervous and fearful for no real gain.

Better discussion in my opinion, why would someone open carry?  I'll give them comfort, but throw a button up or vest over it you got your comfort and concealment.

• Like 2

Darrell, I find your last sentence to be spot on!  
It’s almost comical, when friends who are visiting me choose to open carry just because they can while in Tennessee and cannot do it in their home state of Florida.  I’m always quick to tell them that their OWB full-size 1911 better not be messing up my leather upholstery. 😑

Edited by billyblazes
  • Moderators

When I first started carrying I was a proponent of open carry for all of the reasons your friends have mentioned. The longer I carried, and the more experience I gained with firearms the less desire I had to open carry. The only benefit of being allowed to open carry at this point is if at the end of the day of range Larping I just want to get home, I can just get in the car and go and not worry about it if I have to stop and get gas or something along the way. Otherwise, there is no benefit to advertising that I have a firearm on me .

my view at this point boils down to this. Should you have the right to open carry, yes. Should you open carry, no.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3
41 minutes ago, Sunfish said:

People who open carry are going to be the first person to get shot when trouble comes

Sorry there is no data showing this to be true. You may think that but that does not make it true. I have looked and I have asked this very same question here in the past. I can not find and no one can provide an example of an open carrying person to be the first target when things so south. For a criminal getting in a gun fight is the last thing they want.  (Unless they are just there to kill everyone anyway) If a bad guy sees someone armed they are much more likely to go find a softer target than to just shoot at the guy with a gun to get him out of the way. That's why most all self defense classes teach to make yourself a hard target. Ever wonder why gun shops are hardly ever robbed?  Most conceal carriers are not that concealed anyway. I spot them all the time printing or otherwise showing they are armed to anyone paying attention. 

There are plenty of good reasons to conceal carry but this is not one of them.