Saiga Conversion

Superman

Why in the world would anybody pay to have this done? I started mine last night, took it apart and painted the bottom of the reciever, and then put it back together today. I'ld say it was one of the easiest things I have ever done.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Some people seem to think you have to have special skills and knowledge to do this. I bought an unconverted 5.56 last week and then ordered the conversion parts. They should get here soon and I can't wait to do it.

Some go better than others. My 7.62x39 was easy and the 12g was a miserably hard booger to get done. It also depends on how far you go. If you do a full blown conversion with welds and such it can be a little more work than someone wants or can do.

Guest bkelm18

The conversions are ridiculously easy. For me, the Saiga 12 was much easier than the 7.62. If you have the right tools and know a few little tricks it's super easy.

The conversions are ridiculously easy. For me, the Saiga 12 was much easier than the 7.62. If you have the right tools and know a few little tricks it's super easy.

I am looking at part for my Sagia 12 conversion. What did you use?

The conversion you did on the 7.62 was real nice. Shot it last weekend.

get one of the Tromix DIY trigger guards. Makes everything a whole lot easier. Tromix Do-It-Yourself Saiga 12 Trigger Guard - $45.00 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories

Guest bkelm18

I used the Tapco G2 FCG, KVAR buttstock, the Tromix DIY trigger guard, and a Tapco SAW pistol grip. I went the simple route, I didn't really gussie it up. Thanks on the 7.62, it's a blast to shoot.

im thinkin about converting my 7.62x39 just so I will have a "true AK", but im quite fond of the skeletal stock thats on it now.

Put one of the Ace skeleton stock on it! I think they look really good and don't look too ARish.

What's the advantage of this replacement trigger guard, especially for $45? I've just reused the original Saiga TG on my conversions. Just curious.

Guest bkelm18
What's the advantage of this replacement trigger guard, especially for $45? I've just reused the original Saiga TG on my conversions. Just curious.

Saves you a lot of work and it looks better.

No ugly screws or difficult rivets to work with. Has the stop built in. The big one is if you receiver was not already cut for the PG you don't have to cut the hole. Which is a little tedious to say the least. It looks professional and not all hacked up like some I've seen.

I finallytook my saiga out of the plastic and out of the box last night.I was just curious if the 20 round drum would work.

It looks like I have to take a file to it.Not much but,just a little has to come off of the drum mag for it to lock in.

No ugly screws or difficult rivets to work with. Has the stop built in. The big one is if you receiver was not already cut for the PG you don't have to cut the hole. Which is a little tedious to say the least. It looks professional and not all hacked up like some I've seen.

Thanks. Not cutting the hole might make it worth it. Does this work on Saiga rifles as well as the shotgun?

Guest m4coyote

The Tapco T6 collapsible stock will definitely work, but it is not a very strong unit. There have been reports of these breaking from a drop or from harsh recoil. I used the ACE folder conversion block, non push button hinge, and ACE 9.5" tubular stock with the 1" recoil pad.

This seems to be a very solid combination, and I have no problem recommending it. Mississippi Auto Arms and Carolina Shooters Supply have a pre machined & tapped conversion block for the Saigas, and they will save you some work compared to the ACE block.

The Tapco T6 collapsible stock will definitely work, but it is not a very strong unit. There have been reports of these breaking from a drop or from harsh recoil. I used the ACE folder conversion block, non push button hinge, and ACE 9.5" tubular stock with the 1" recoil pad.

This seems to be a very solid combination, and I have no problem recommending it. Mississippi Auto Arms and Carolina Shooters Supply have a pre machined & tapped conversion block for the Saigas, and they will save you some work compared to the ACE block.

Good call. I used the Ace stock on my Saiga AK conversion and a NATO length K-Var stock on my Saiga 12. If I had the money I would have gone for the Ace Skeleton internal block combo on the 12 as well.

Good call. I used the Ace stock on my Saiga AK conversion and a NATO length K-Var stock on my Saiga 12. If I had the money I would have gone for the Ace Skeleton internal block combo on the 12 as well.

Thanks for the input. I will take a look at these.

Guest m4coyote

That is very close. The stock that I used is the 9.5" with the 1" recoil pad. Other than the length, and recoil pad thickness, it is the same.