HB0962 - Restaurant Carry

Guest kdpate
The challenge will come from a minority report which will be filed on the floor by Rep Armstrong of Knoxville. BTW A big campaign supporter of Armstrong has been restauranteer Mike Chase. Chase is an venomous critic of the bill..

Mike Chase needs to worry more about his rest. than the carry bill....:screwy::woohoo:

Last time I ate in Calhouns on Kingston Pike it sucked:puke::bored:

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
"I sent an email to Todd, thanking him for his work."

db99wj - Todd has indeed put in considerable effort on this bill, but lets not forget the other legislators that have also fought the good fight on this, like Senator Jackson.

I have not forgotten them. I have sent multiple emails to multiple people, and once this is done I will send more thank you's. Regarding Todd, I am in more consistent contact with him.:screwy:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Here are the restaurants owned by Mike Chase through his Cooper Cellar Corporation. It is safe to say that all of these locations will be posted once HB0962 is passed. That is fine though because is lets us know exactly where to NOT spend our money.

Our Restaurants

Calhoun’s (Nashville, Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Lenoir City, Gatlinburg)

Cooper Cellar

Cappuccino’s

Cumberland Grill

Cherokee Grill

Chesapeake’s

Smoky Mountain Brewery and Restaurant

Interestingly I see that Mike Chase is the Vice Chairman of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission through 2011 so we assume he has some understanding of how people in TN feel about their firearms. My guess is he is fighting the restaurant carry legislation purely from an insurance and litigation point of view to cover his ASSets. The best we can do with his type is to hit him in the bank account. It might not be much, but it will be something. The occasional letter telling him why we are eating elsewhere might bring it even closer to home for him.

Edited by pws_smokeyjones
The challenge will come from a minority report which will be filed on the floor by Rep Armstrong of Knoxville. BTW A big campaign supporter of Armstrong has been restauranteer Mike Chase. Chase is an venomous critic of the bill.

On the floor, Rep Todd will move adoption of the majority report. Armstrong will then move to substitute his minority report. Todd will then move Armstrong's motion to the table. The motion to table will be the test vote.

So, if the majority report is accepted, does that mean that both house and senate vote on the proposed bill with out restrictions?

If the minority report is accepted, does that mean that both house and senate vote on the bill with restrictions or does it mean something else?

Guest bhoneycutt

Am I missing something here? Seems to me like this is still going to have problems getting through the house? Can someone explain how just because a few of the reps got in a room and talked about some stuff it changes the rest of the reps opinions on the issue?

Guest bhoneycutt

I think I found the answer to my own question :screwy: The committee mostly had people that voted against it. And if 2 more now agree with the senate version then it would give the majority to our side :woohoo:

Guest db99wj
Am I missing something here? Seems to me like this is still going to have problems getting through the house? Can someone explain how just because a few of the reps got in a room and talked about some stuff it changes the rest of the reps opinions on the issue?

I was under the impression that, yes it goes back for a "vote" but it is a rubber stamp kinda of thing, they agree with whatever the conference committee said. The reports just show what happened in the meeting.

A thought I had was that the, the house and senate have to vote on which report to accept, if it is the majority report, that is a yes vote, if it is the minority report, then no...

I might be totally wrong on this? I am totally confused, that I am certain of!

Guest HexHead
Makes me not want to spend any money at Calhoun's ever again....

That's kind of wishy-washy. How about an explicit "I"ll never spend a dime in that dump again." ?

Guest HexHead
I was under the impression that, yes it goes back for a "vote" but it is a rubber stamp kinda of thing, they agree with whatever the conference committee said. The reports just show what happened in the meeting.

A thought I had was that the, the house and senate have to vote on which report to accept, if it is the majority report, that is a yes vote, if it is the minority report, then no...

I might be totally wrong on this? I am totally confused, that I am certain of!

I thought the minority report was only to show the measure passed with some dissent on the part of some of the members of the committee. I could see how that would influence the voting of some in the House. My guess is that the majority report just tells the House that the measure passed committee in the Senate form and is being offered for a vote.

This ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

As Djack41 mentioned earlier - " On the floor, Rep Todd will move adoption of the majority report. Armstrong will then move to substitute his minority report. Todd will then move Armstrong's motion to the table. The motion to table will be the test vote."

This basically means that Armstrong will try to get them to use his minority report language from the conference committee (language that surely includes the original house restrictions), but most likely that motion will get 'tabled' and then they will vote on the majority report from Todd. Once it is settled as to which report they will actually use, THEN they will once again put the bill w/conf comm report language to full house vote.

Keep in mind that I am a network engineer and really only know enough about parliamentary procedures to get myself in trouble so take all of my info for what its worth.

Guest nraforlife
Here are the restaurants owned by Mike Chase through his Cooper Cellar Corporation. It is safe to say that all of these locations will be posted once HB0962 is passed. That is fine though because is lets us know exactly where to NOT spend our money.

Our Restaurants

Calhoun’s (Nashville, Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Lenoir City, Gatlinburg)

Cooper Cellar

Cappuccino’s

Cumberland Grill

Cherokee Grill

Chesapeake’s

Smoky Mountain Brewery and Restaurant

Interestingly I see that Mike Chase is the Vice Chairman of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission through 2011 so we assume he has some understanding of how people in TN feel about their firearms. My guess is he is fighting the restaurant carry legislation purely from an insurance and litigation point of view to cover his ASSets. The best we can do with his type is to hit him in the bank account. It might not be much, but it will be something. The occasional letter telling him why we are eating elsewhere might bring it even closer to home for him.

There ARE other restaurants that sell better food though the pizza at the Brewery is pretty good. Oh well, no more business from me once they are posted.

While Chase may well actually oppose restaurant carry he like the Tennessee Restaurant Association liked being able to hid behind state law and not have to B) or get off the pot, i.e., pubically declare opposition to law abiding citizens being able defend themselves. For them it more about the money.

I haven't seen much mention about emailing Bredesen. I know I have seen that he claims that he hasn't made up his mind on whether he will sign the bill. Won't this go into law without his signature? That is unless he vetos the bill. Then the legislature would have to override the veto. Correct?

Should we be flooding him with emails too or wait until it is actually on his desk?

Guest db99wj
I haven't seen much mention about emailing Bredesen. I know I have seen that he claims that he hasn't made up his mind on whether he will sign the bill. Won't this go into law without his signature? That is unless he vetos the bill. Then the legislature would have to override the veto. Correct?

Should we be flooding him with emails too or wait until it is actually on his desk?

3 options.

Send it, he signs, goes into law June 1

Send it, he does nothing, goes into law June 1

Send it, he veto's it, goes back for override (not sure all the places), goes into law June 1

That is my understanding.

Guest JavaGuy
As Djack41 mentioned earlier - " On the floor, Rep Todd will move adoption of the majority report. Armstrong will then move to substitute his minority report. Todd will then move Armstrong's motion to the table. The motion to table will be the test vote."

This basically means that Armstrong will try to get them to use his minority report language from the conference committee (language that surely includes the original house restrictions), but most likely that motion will get 'tabled' and then they will vote on the majority report from Todd. Once it is settled as to which report they will actually use, THEN they will once again put the bill w/conf comm report language to full house vote.

Keep in mind that I am a network engineer and really only know enough about parliamentary procedures to get myself in trouble so take all of my info for what its worth.

When a conference committee report is adopted by a chamber (House or Senate), they are really saying that they are accepting the language of the bill as modified by the report as the new language of the bill. The phrase "and make it the action of the" (House or Senate) more or less means that they are putting that new language into play AND adopting the bill as amended.

Someone mentioned this process as "rubberstamping" the decision made by the conference committee. Yes, that's true more often than not, but there have been occasions where it hasn't worked that way. I'd expect a lot of grandstanding and posturing from both sides on this, but I'd say the votes are there to accept the majority report and pass the Senate version of the bill. (Nope, only my opinion.. no counting of noses involved)

If both chambers adopt the conference committee report (the majority report), it will go to the governor.

If the governor should veto the bill, it would go through both chambers for an override of the veto. A simple majority in each chamber is needed to override the veto. See Bill to Law - TN General Assembly for the steps in how a bill becomes law.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
When a conference committee report is adopted by a chamber (House or Senate), they are really saying that they are accepting the language of the bill as modified by the report as the new language of the bill. The phrase "and make it the action of the" (House or Senate) more or less means that they are putting that new language into play AND adopting the bill as amended.

Someone mentioned this process as "rubberstamping" the decision made by the conference committee. Yes, that's true more often than not, but there have been occasions where it hasn't worked that way. I'd expect a lot of grandstanding and posturing from both sides on this, but I'd say the votes are there to accept the majority report and pass the Senate version of the bill. (Nope, only my opinion.. no counting of noses involved)

If both chambers adopt the conference committee report (the majority report), it will go to the governor.

If the governor should veto the bill, it would go through both chambers for an override of the veto. A simple majority in each chamber is needed to override the veto. See Bill to Law - TN General Assembly for the steps in how a bill becomes law.

Thanks for clearing that up for us JavaGuy. I make a motion to accept the language in your amendment to this thread and to table mine. B)

I just emailed my Rep, Jim Hackworth, expressing my support for the bill.

I was encouraged last week when he personally returned my phone call from the week prior. I had called him and left a message, which he promptly returned and got my voice mail. A few days later he called back again - good follow up! Anyway, I told him I was in favor of the Senate bill passing, and he said he expected it to pass.

I'm definitely holding my breath.

Guys I think its scheduled for the message calender. Its tricky how that thing works. And from what Im hearing its not on the regular calender right now at all and not up for debate so we still may not know anything this week, it may get taken off and bumped till next week... probably next Monday.

Unless they vote for everything on that particular calender with no objections, but in that case one rep can take it off and put it by itself.

Anyone got anything about this to add?

Guys I think its scheduled for the message calender. Its tricky how that thing works. And from what Im hearing its not on the regular calender right now at all and not up for debate so we still may not know anything this week, it may get taken off and bumped till next week... probably next Monday.

Unless they vote for everything on that particular calender with no objections, but in that case one rep can take it off and put it by itself.

Anyone got anything about this to add?

ya'll know what the message calender means right?