Question : Would you buy locally made Ammo?

I'm considering, already started the paperwork with the government, to get my FFL and authorized to manufacture and sell ammo.   The question is, do you think people are willing to buy locally made Ammo?   I know price will always be an issue, but my goal is to build quality ammo and make a little profit.

I have read that a lot of the big name ammo companies have been purchased by the Chinese and thus looking to start another American only Ammo company.

Any thoughts?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CylonGlitch said:

I know price will always be an issue, but my goal is to build quality ammo and make a little profit.

I am guessing you have a line on compensates in bulk, and I mean in the 100,000 s amounts.

You will have to offer price per round more than a few cents lower than what in on line now.

Bear in mind that you'll need a good supply of projectiles, powder and primers. Seeing how difficult it is to obtain primers, in particular, you should be sure that you have a committed supplier. A second thing to consider is liability insurance. It might make sense to talk to an insurer before committing too much time and money.

Good luck with your project!

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 3

Its going to depend on the quality and that's likely going to be word of mouth advertising. Make good stuff and word gets around, you'll do well. Otherwise, its a crap shoot. 

Looks will be important. If its nicely packaged and looks professional, it has a chance. Loose rounds in zip-lock bags? I wouldn't buy it. 

I inherited a bunch of local gun show ammo when a dear friend passed. While some of it looked decent enough, it turned out to be garbage.  Very inconsistent and some were seriously overcharged/undercharged to the point of being dangerous. I ended up breaking most of it down for components. 💩

Frankly, I won't spend money or take a risk on unknown ammo. 

Good luck. You're gonna need it. 🙄

On 9/16/2024 at 8:28 PM, chances R said:

Parabellum ammo makes quality ammo but now no longer sells to individuals.  

This is the kind of thing that I have seen a lot of going on.   They get a government contract or sold off to another government and the general population doesn't get decent ammo.  Thus another part of why I think I would like to deliver something to the community to make sure that it is good, quality, and try to be as competitive to the price as possible.   

From what I'm seeing, it sounds like there is some trepidation because of price.  I can't promise to beat all prices, often that is outside of my control, especially before getting everything established..  But I can focus on quality. 

Not super expensive to break into the industry, I need to get the FFL first, and that isn't too hard, just a lot of paperwork, but even that is manageable.  

Thanks for the feedback, from everyone, not making any promises yet, there is a lot of work to be done first, but I'm working on it.

Now is a terrible time to just get into any new consumer product business. All of the small ammo outfits have been aggressively slashing prices and running sales longer the past few months. Unless you have signed contracts to produce and get paid consistently, relying on retail consumption is a huge risk. There is a reason that places like Parabellum do what they do: it's called survival.

2 hours ago, LangdoniousRex said:

Now is a terrible time to just get into any new consumer product business. All of the small ammo outfits have been aggressively slashing prices and running sales longer the past few months. Unless you have signed contracts to produce and get paid consistently, relying on retail consumption is a huge risk. There is a reason that places like Parabellum do what they do: it's called survival.

I agree wholeheartedly. This is a very bad time indeed. But that wouldn't stop me and probably some others on here from buying a box or two when CylonGlitch starts production. Especially for many folk such as myself who like to support local businesses.

Edited by Defunct Ammo