Recommendations on Single Action Gunsmiths in East Tennessee.

leroy

Brothers and Sisters...

I've just purchased a Pietta ( Cimarron ) colt clone with a horrible trigger.  He wuz a lay away from Buds, n I never got to handle him before delivery.

After working with it a bit, I'm convinced that there is a bit of a rough spot on the full cock hammer notch.  I'ma thinkin one of two swipes with a hard Arkansas stone will fix it. 

It's a beautiful little pistola, except for the trigger.  The carry up is perfect and the finish is great; and I simply don't want to send it to Cimarron.

That said; do y'all have any recommendations on cowboy Action Gunsmiths within about an hours drive of Knoxville that ya would recommend..?

Thanks in advance.

leroy .  

Edited by leroy
7 minutes ago, papa61 said:

Louisville, TN. this is the only shop in TN I'd want to use for anything I can't do myself.

+ Bowen Classic Arms + Home 

I fully agree, if I can talk him into doing it... Hamilton won't hardly work on a " clone " or a real colt anymore... It is worth a try, however...

Many thanks Brother...

leroy.. 

2 hours ago, leroy said:

I fully agree, if I can talk him into doing it... Hamilton won't hardly work on a " clone " or a real colt anymore... It is worth a try, however...

Many thanks Brother...

leroy.. 

Girl I went to high school with went to law school with him. Not that she would or could pull any strings with him. She kinda hates me now. LOL.
But he is excellent.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, papa61 said:

Girl I went to high school with went to law school with him. Not that she would or could pull any strings with him. She kinda hates me now. LOL.
But he is excellent.

Why is it that with as few good gunsmiths as there are, they get more and more "selective" in what they will work on.  I recently had some work I needed done on a Sharps 1874 target rifle reproduction.  I had to look all over the place for someone that would take it on that I had any confidence in.  

16 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Why is it that with as few good gunsmiths as there are, they get more and more "selective" in what they will work on.  I recently had some work I needed done on a Sharps 1874 target rifle reproduction.  I had to look all over the place for someone that would take it on that I had any confidence in.  

When you're in high demand in low saturation you can pick and choose. Look at the price on a high end full custom 1911. The more exclusive you make yourself the more you can charge, providing there is reputation and demand. I'm thinking of Minton T-Bird resto shop. 

I can understand not working on vintage/historic pistols like OLD Colt's SAA. I can understand not working on some of the copies as there used to be some truly substandard reproductions. From What I've seen of Bowen, he really likes S&W and Ruger DAs. I can't say anything about any other custom smith.

Not throwing shade at Cimmaron for sure. They make great replicas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RE: " Selectivity "... We spent quite a few hours n a few bucks with Hamilton.  Toward the end of the " Real " Colt era ( think 80s thru early 2000s ), he said it was almost impossible to get Colt SAA parts.  As I remember, the colt clone parts thing was a problem as well, along with the hit or miss quality of replacement parts.

I think that many times, the gunsmiths will specialize in things they can readily find parts for and things they are passionate about. That allows them to deliver repairs and mods to us gun folk in a reasonably timely manner.  No one wants to wait 6 months to possibly years for their special repair or project to be completed.

Hamilton likes slicking up and modifying all flavors of Rugers and Smiths.  More Rugers than anything else, just as papa has said.

He did some absolutely beautiful work on two third generation Colts for us, along with a couple of Ruger single actions. 

He is, in fact, an artist as well as a great gunsmith; and  a lovely, professional, kind, and gentlemanly man as well.  He is, indeed, a credit to the artisan gunsmith craft as well as being a thoroughly lovely man.  I know of no better craftsman, artist, or gentleman in the guncraft business.  I have the highest regard for him in every sense of the word.

leroy...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

Bowen is indeed a true master. But I'm betting he's backed up at least a year, maybe two. 🙄

All you need is a simple trigger job. The SA Army isn't that complicated. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and you can do it yourself. 😉

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Bowen is indeed a true master. But I'm betting he's backed up at least a year, maybe two. 🙄

All you need is a simple trigger job. The SA Army isn't that complicated. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and you can do it yourself. 😉

I fully agree.  I have slicked several percussion pistolas up, but I wuz hopin to find a Cowboy Action smith who might save me the effort.  I'm getting lazy in my old age...SIGH...

Here5hopin a CAS Smith appears who does this stuff here in the next little while.  Otherwise, I'll have ta do it myself...  SIGH...

lazy leroy...

20 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Well, I guess this is another vocation that those Gen Z'ers, who are chompin' at the bit to find a good trade or career can set their sights on................. NOT!!!!

One of our members posted what his investment was for his Cali shop. Cost would dissuade most. It's a long learning curve also.
Mr Bowen is to my understanding a true smith who could build a firearm from scratch. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, leroy said:

RE: " Selectivity "... We spent quite a few hours n a few bucks with Hamilton.  Toward the end of the " Real " Colt era ( think 80s thru early 2000s ), he said it was almost impossible to get Colt SAA parts.  As I remember, the colt clone parts thing was a problem as well, along with the hit or miss quality of replacement parts.

I think that many times, the gunsmiths will specialize in things they can readily find parts for and things they are passionate about. That allows them to deliver repairs and mods to us gun folk in a reasonably timely manner.  No one wants to wait 6 months to possibly years for their special repair or project to be completed.

Hamilton likes slicking up and modifying all flavors of Rugers and Smiths.  More Rugers than anything else, just as papa has said.

He did some absolutely beautiful work on two third generation Colts for us, along with a couple of Ruger single actions. 

He is, in fact, an artist as well as a great gunsmith; and  a lovely, professional, kind, and gentlemanly man as well.  He is, indeed, a credit to the artisan gunsmith craft as well as being a thoroughly lovely man.  I know of no better craftsman, artist, or gentleman in the guncraft business.  I have the highest regard for him in every sense of the word.

leroy...

I've not seen his work in person But I did see some of his stuff in magazine back in the day. My HS friend spoke highly of him as a person so I believe it. I've always been in awe of those who take one and rebarrel, change from 6 to five shot or any of the things he does. I would LOVE to do what he does but I'm way past the point of getting a return on the investment.

In the end, if I'm in the market for a top end revolver, I know where to go hands down.

• Love 1
  • leroy changed the title to Recommendations on Single Action Gunsmiths in East Tennessee.

If you are active in Cowboy Shooting, ask someone at one of the shoots

It has never been of interest to me, but ORSA did have a quite active Cowboy group

If not a member there. Look them up online Oak Ridge Sportsman’s Association and find out who hosts the cowboy matches

Hope that gets you somewhere.  

• Like 1

Ed... I've done just that.   There is a guy who does CAS gunsmithing that I've been in contact with.  He is a shooter as well as a gunsmith.   He runs a shop out of his house. 

I'm gonna try to meet with him sometime next week.  I'll let call know how this works out as we get further along in this little project.

leroy...

• Like 3