School Shooting in Georgia

In a one in a million shot, I find myself agreeing with Link...I'm as shocked as I'm sure he is.  

3 hours ago, Links2k said:

...If I had a preference, I’d rather the state set up a SRO academy and allocate them in larger numbers to all public schools based upon student attendance levels.

Also, I would limit entrances to two and make the remaining doors exit only with alarms on them. My proposal would cost money, and no one wants spend any money. 

What is being described here is a variation of the Israeli School protection model.

They use private contractors who are fully combat trained and are REQUIRED to engage any trouble.

There is one way into the school... Period... The contractor(s) are at that door.  These contractors ( guards, if you will ) are vigilant and engage anyone ( student or otherwise ) who don't look right or seem to fit...  Random questions, random search...

The ratio is one guard per 100 students.

These guards are, in fact, guards, not older, ready to retire LEO folks.

There are barriers around the school that cannot be breached with vehicles.

There is one door in. The other doors are " exit only " and are locked to outside entrance.

The guards continually move and surveil the school property after the students are accounted for and in class.

The school principal knows the security plans, but does not administrate it.  The security contractor does security, and the teachers and principal do teaching.

I like these techniques alot. 

As others have said; we are living in a completely different world and society that most of us grew up in... It's way passed time for the individual states to get serious about this school security thing . 

leroy...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Links2k said:

I say ask the teachers. I know many teachers and principals locally who want no part of the burden of going armed while attempting to teach.

It blows my mind that these questions are having to be asked. Most of us on TGO are old enough to remember the only potential life threatening events we had to deal with in school were tornado warnings and nuclear missile practice. 

If I had a preference, I’d rather the state set up a SRO academy and allocate them in larger numbers to all public schools based upon student attendance levels. Also, I would limit entrances to two and make the remaining doors exit only with alarms on them. My proposal would cost money, and no one wants spend any money. 

I agree with these two memes. 
IMG_7651.thumb.jpeg.ce59b9f22087c8687e935feb1b476021.jpegIMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.b378864d1e8112933c9c11ff193149ca.jpeg

Hey we could take the money out of what we send to Ukraine!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

From what I understand the system did work. Shooter came in, panic buttons were pushed, SRO got there very quickly and ended it.  Problem was the shooter still had time to hurt a lot of people. However, bear in mind that the damage could have been much worse. No matter how prepared you are, life and death are a matter of seconds. For the most part, nobody really knows what's happening until the first shots are fired. Then its too late. 

We need to be focused on keeping the crazies outside and not get in. Even more we need to heed warnings and stop them before they even think about shooting. We are in a mental health crisis and nobody wants to address it. 🤬

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

The call logs show the Gray family contacting the school and having a 10 minute phone call with the school counselor and text message about a half hour before the shooting.

The mother of suspected Apalachee High School shooter Colt Gray told her family that she called her son's school to warn them of an 'extreme emergency' on the morning that he allegedly killed four people. 

Marcee Gray, the alleged shooter's mother, was seen in text messages shared by The Washington Post telling her family: 'I told them it was an extreme emergency and for them to go immediately and find [my son] to check on him.' 

The outlet reported that a call log from the family's shared phone plan shows Gray made a 10-minute call to the school at 9:50am on Wednesday, about half an hour before Colt allegedly opened fire. 

A counselor at the school told Marcee that her son had been talking about school shootings that morning, according to Gray's sister Annie Brown who spoke to The Post. 

Soon after the shooting began, reports surfaced that Apalachee High School received a warning that the tragedy could unfold. 

In reported texts sent by Marcee, she told her family: 'I was the one that notified the school counselor at the high school.' 

According to Brown, her sister called the school because she learned something concerning that made her fear an 'impending disaster', however it is not reported what it was that she learned.  

Her sister Annie Brown said that Marcee was told by a counselor that her son was displaying disturbing behavior that morning, ominously talking about school shootings. 

Sources:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13825297/Georgia-school-shooting-colt-gray-mother-marcee-warning-text-apalachee-high.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/09/07/georgia-school-shooter-mother-warning/

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, threeshot said:

The call logs show the Gray family contacting the school and having a 10 minute phone call with the school counselor and text message about a half hour before the shooting.

Sources:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13825297/Georgia-school-shooting-colt-gray-mother-marcee-warning-text-apalachee-high.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/09/07/georgia-school-shooter-mother-warning/

And yet they sent him off to school anyway.  If that's true, that's quite the amount of cowardice on the family. Pass off their problems on the school staff.  

As for security, the buildings I work in are far more secure than the schools my kids attend. That's a problem. 

• Like 1

The impression I had from reading the article is the mother, Marcee Gray and sister Brown discovered something after the shooter had already left for school.

Neither parent is going to win any awards and the following information does not condone the shooter's actions.

Marcee Gray criminal history:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13819865/Troubling-history-Colt-Gray-Georgia-school-shooting-suspects-family.html

Family evicted leaving behind two German Shepherds:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13823345/Former-landlord-reveals-father-Georgia-school-shooter-kicked-door-retrieve-guns.html

Edited by threeshot
Grammar
10 hours ago, peejman said:

And yet they sent him off to school anyway.  If that's true, that's quite the amount of cowardice on the family. Pass off their problems on the school staff.  

As for security, the buildings I work in are far more secure than the schools my kids attend. That's a problem. 

Perp didn’t live with mom. My bet is he sent a Suicide/Goodbye text to her, prompting the call

• Like 1
On 9/7/2024 at 9:14 AM, Links2k said:

I say ask the teachers. I know many teachers and principals locally who want no part of the burden of going armed while attempting to teach.

It blows my mind that these questions are having to be asked. Most of us on TGO are old enough to remember the only potential life threatening events we had to deal with in school were tornado warnings and nuclear missile practice. 

If I had a preference, I’d rather the state set up a SRO academy and allocate them in larger numbers to all public schools based upon student attendance levels. Also, I would limit entrances to two and make the remaining doors exit only with alarms on them. My proposal would cost money, and no one wants spend any money. 

I agree with these two memes. 
IMG_7651.thumb.jpeg.ce59b9f22087c8687e935feb1b476021.jpegIMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.b378864d1e8112933c9c11ff193149ca.jpeg

The currently problem with “Ask the Teachers” is they don’t ask all of us, and then speak for us as if they did. I know of 10 plus teacher just at my school who want to carry, but we are denied by admin without even a conversation. There are also others who agree with the policy, but don’t want to have it known in the building. 

It’s not about arming unwilling teachers. It’s about not Disarming the willing ones. 

As for the societal issues… we can’t agree on what makes someone male or female. What makes y’all think we can fix problems infinitely more complex?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I think that parents have to come to grips with the great truth that the education profession at the managerial and political level is, by and large, an idealistic, even jhadistic group of folks who;  on the whole, disagree with the Second Amendment and intend to usurp its implementation in school self defense in every way possible.  They tend operate under the Ole " we are experts and we know best " axiom of all those who know what's best for us " Delightful Rustics " and their progeny.  After all, they are experts and the smartest people in the room.

That is exactly why teachers should be teachers and SROs should be charged with the protection of life and limb in schools.

The " Armededucator " is a very distinct minority in the teaching profession.  I am thankful that he is willing to speak the truth and stand up for the protection of students in his care. 

I think there are other educators who would selflessly sacrifice their personal safety to stop a shooter, but could not bring themselves to shoot back to stop a threat when seconds count.  We have seen this over and over thru several of these tragedies.

leroy...

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, leroy said:

I think that parents have to come to grips with the great truth that the education profession at the managerial and political level is, by and large, an idealistic, even jhadistic group of folks who;  on the whole, disagree with the Second Amendment and intend to usurp its implementation in school self defense in every way possible.  They tend operate under the Ole " we are experts and we know best " axiom of all those who know what's best for us " Delightful Rustics " and their progeny.  After all, they are experts and the smartest people in the room.

That is exactly why teachers should be teachers and SROs should be charged with the protection of life and limb in schools.

The " Armededucator " is a very distinct minority in the teaching profession.  I am thankful that he is willing to speak the truth and stand up for the protection of students in his care. 

I think there are other educators who would selflessly sacrifice their personal safety to stop a shooter, but could not bring themselves to shoot back to stop a threat when seconds count.  We have seen this over and over thru several of these tragedies.

leroy...

1) You are correct on the whole about teachers an admin. Those like me are a minority, but we are there, and in greater numbers than many appreciate. 

2) My vision is that armed teachers and SROs work to complement each others. Armed teachers essentially acting as hard points to “fix” an attacker in place, while SROs can close with, Flank and Finish. 

3) This is pretty accurate historically. I’ve done fairly comprehensive research on the School Attack issue, and while Security Personnel have failed and fled in the face of an attack, I do not have a single case of a teacher doing the same. 

Instead you have numerous examples of men like Aaron Feiss of Stoneman-Douglass, who made a 40 yard dash under fire, taking several wounds in the process, and dying with muzzle burns on his hands BECAUSE HE GOT TO THE B*******. 

Sorry, I get emotional with this stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Thearmededucator said:

Perp didn’t live with mom. My bet is he sent a Suicide/Goodbye text to her, prompting the call

Kind of, a story I read is that she received a text saying I'm Sorry Mom, nothing else.  But she immediately calls the school??  Sounds to me like there were other signs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/georgia-school-shooters-haunting-3-word-last-text-to-mom-prompted-her-terrified-plea-to-school/ar-AA1qcYL8

Edited by Omega
Add link

Have you all seen the video of the Dad, Kid and LEO at the house? It seemed.....so normal? We have the "normal" hunting video too now. I know it's reported all the other problems and maybe this guy just sucks and was overly reckless but for argument let's just say.......

It's you, just an average shiddy divorce from a women who was in to drugs or went nuts whatever, and now it's you and the kid. You get on pretty well, started hunting with him and he seems "Normal" for a modern Teen. You're trying to be a good Dad even though you're just avereage, a little broke, inflation hitting you hard, you work alot. Law shows up and says no proof but we think, possibly maybe your kid made a threat. Cop seems low key, kid denies it and cop says no proof. You don't know computers, IP address? What's that? Someone stole your FB page twice!, happens all the time. Kid says someone posed as him online, You believe him, he's a pretty good kid. Cop kinda believes kid too! After that you give the kid some hard interrogation, you still believe your kid so you keep hunting/shooting with him and buy him a gun because it makes you both happy. You lock or disable the gun when you know he's home alone but you get lazy, maybe you are a bit naive and the kid is smart and figures out how to get it when you are not home. Found the Key, breaks the lock, found where you hid the bolt etc.  He's 14 and gets home and to School alone on the bus while you work. He is home alone briefly every day. He's good at hiding his mental illness from everyone. Then the bad thing happens!

Parts of this story could be any one of us, ALL of this story except the end are spot on for some of us. As I said lot's of reports the shooter's Dad was a dud but what if he was just average like my story? Would he still be sitting in prison for murder? I think so and that's not right. Look for every School shooter's parent if living at home and guns used are from home to be charged from now on. Even if guns were locked. And we all know a safe or a lock just slows you down. There's a mental health crisis in America with youth and i have an opinion why but the odds make it a huge improbability you have a child murderer in the house. Without intent or knowledge and with basic safe storage around minors in the home, no charges should ever be brought on a parent for murder. Even if the parent screws up and forgets to lock away the gun that one time. Financial ruin in a Civil lawsuit?, Charges of negligence perhaps depending on circumstances yes. As someone here said if your child breaks a window you pay. Something as horrible as this well.....