College Football 2024

Let’s get started!

I do not approve of Oklahoma being in the SEC now.  Looked up at the TV and I thought Bama was playing Temple.  Too many maroons now.   I’ve got no problem with Texas except people erroneously think they are “UT” and seriously want to have a discussion about that.

Go Vols!

• Like 2

My UW Huskies had a heckuva season last year! National Championship game appearance and the last ever PAC12 champion. I expect much, much less from them this year as virtually the entire team and coaching staff have turned over. AND they are now in the BIG 10, which has, what?, 18 teams?  I think they have a great chance to start 5-0, but will be happy if they make a bowl game this year by winning two more.

The Filthy Ducks of Whoregon are highly ranked. As always, I hope for a total collapse of the zeros.

This year's national champs? I'll take Georgia... again. I honestly think they were the best college team last year, but they slipped against Bama.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1

Best time of year Go Vols kickoff at 12:45 in Knoxville. Should not be much of a contest with UTC. Thinking 56 -10 Hopefully Nico is on bench by halftime And second and third string Quarterbacks get some touches  Also Georgia and Clemson are on at 12:00. Have a wonderful Season 

10 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

The NCAA is trying to turn college football into the NFL.  I'm about done with them.  There is no incentive for these kids to learn sportsmanship or team loyalty any more.

I hate what NIL is doing to the game.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

The NCAA is trying to turn college football into the NFL.  I'm about done with them.  There is no incentive for these kids to learn sportsmanship or team loyalty any more.

When it comes to college football, the NCAA is not in any real position of authority.  The best analogy I heard a while back was the conferences are like the five families back in the NYC Mafia days, running their own territory and occasionally having some turf wars that need adjudicated.  Everything being done is being driven by the SEC and Big10.  The rest are just trying to keep up.

The players are still learning sportsmanship, I think.  Team loyalty is subjective.  This is (and always was) a business, it's just more apparent now. The players should work their options as much as the coaches do.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

The NCAA is trying to turn college football into the NFL.

I glanced at an article yesterday that said that Ohio State is paying its players $20 MILLION dollars this year. Wow! 

There were already haves and have-nots in college football, but NIL money is going to spread that divide.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:37 AM, 1gewehr said:

"I refuse to play because I want $20 million instead of $18 million" had already soured me on the NFL before the kneeling nonsense.  College ball seems to be headed that way.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Darrell said:

I glanced at an article yesterday that said that Ohio State is paying its players $20 MILLION dollars this year. Wow! 

There were already haves and have-nots in college football, but NIL money is going to spread that divide.

Two points...the schools aren't paying that directly.  It's a combo of local endorsements and booster funding.  Yeah, I get it's murky, but the athletic department budget isn't funding this on their ledger.

But let's say the murky makes it a direct line.  $20 million is a large number, but it's a fraction of the $80 to $100 million Ohio State is getting as a cut of the Big10 media deal.  Add in what the boosters would otherwise donate direct to the program, ticket sales, merchandise revenue, and team sponsorships... that makes the $20 million to the players (uneven as it's distributed) pretty low for your labor pool as a total deduction from revenue. 

The NFL has a contractually mandated 48% revenue split with the players union by comparison, the NBA is 50%.  NIL is still a bargain for these programs.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Rockmup said:

Geaux Tigers !!

Thats all I've got

I’m looking forward to a Sunday night game with an SEC team.

I miss Ed Orgeron.  I like the way he talks.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 8/30/2024 at 8:14 PM, Garufa said:

Let’s get started!

I do not approve of Oklahoma being in the SEC now.  Looked up at the TV and I thought Bama was playing Temple.  Too many maroons now.   I’ve got no problem with Texas except people erroneously think they are “UT” and seriously want to have a discussion about that.

Go Vols!

I do miss the old big 12 rivalries! I grew up with it and I really am not sure about this switch to the SEC. 

Edited by TennesseeCamper
On 9/1/2024 at 7:15 PM, Garufa said:

I’m looking forward to a Sunday night game with an SEC team.

I miss Ed Orgeron.  I like the way he talks.

Less Miles was a complete cuck, Orgeron was a fantastic coach all the way around and got screwed over by the new athletic director

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

My wife is a Bulldog and believes that if you’re good in life and you die, you may go to Vince Dooley’s house for Sunday lunch.  She has  great hope balanced by an expectation that they’ll let her down any day now.

I was listening to a podcast this week on the TSSAA.  I didn’t realize that when Lipscomb played Thompson Academy the other Friday night, Thompson’s 15 year old Sophomore quarterback had just tuned down a 7 figure NIL deal.  That’s wild.

Also, I had no idea we had so many Huskies up in here.  

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

My wife is a Bulldog and believes that if you’re good in life and you die, you may go to Vince Dooley’s house for Sunday lunch.  She has  great hope balanced by an expectation that they’ll let her down any day now.

I was listening to a podcast this week on the TSSAA.  I didn’t realize that when Lipscomb played Thompson Academy the other Friday night, Thompson’s 15 year old Sophomore quarterback had just tuned down a 7 figure NIL deal.  That’s wild.

Also, I had no idea we had so many Huskies up in here.  

Turned down??!!!??? Wow!

• Wow 1