Tennessee shoots down Memphis gun control

10 minutes ago, The Legion said:

Election Commission removes gun-control referendum from November ballot!!!

https://wreg.com/news/election-commission-removes-gun-control-referendum-from-november-ballot/

Well, surprise, surprise. 🙄

While Sexton and McNally’s petty, vindictive bullying were a bit over the top, the whole thing is a losing proposition for the state.  Memphis can no more enact gun regulations than the state can withhold their share of sales tax revenues.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

I live very near Memphis and can say without a doubt that it is totally run by Democrats-

They still like other cities haven't figured out that putting and keeping violent criminals in jail will help-

Instead like most Democrats they just always blame the gun-

What a complete set of tools these idiots are-

• Like 8
22 hours ago, Garufa said:

Well, surprise, surprise. 🙄

While Sexton and McNally’s petty, vindictive bullying were a bit over the top, the whole thing is a losing proposition for the state.  Memphis can no more enact gun regulations than the state can withhold their share of sales tax revenues.

I think Memphis understands that and made a PR stunt.  Sexton and McNally, probably think they have options.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, krunchnik said:

I live very near Memphis and can say without a doubt that it is totally run by Democrats-

They still like other cities haven't figured out that putting and keeping violent criminals in jail will help-

Instead like most Democrats they just always blame the gun-

What a complete set of tools these idiots are-

They let the Railgarten shooter out with no bond.  Guys shoots four people with a shotgun and gets RORd.  Stay out of Shelby County if possible.  

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

They let the Railgarten shooter out with no bond.  Guys shoots four people with a shotgun and gets RORd.  Stay out of Shelby County if possible.  

Hard to stay out of Shelby when a persons house is there-

4 hours ago, btq96r said:

I think Memphis understands that and made a PR stunt.  

No, I truly do believe the morons that run Memphis thought they could make their own gun laws. Yes, they really are that stupid. 🥴

• Like 1

Forget that MPD is seriously undermanned and has poor leadership. Forget that the DA is soft on crime. Forget that judges release murderers ROR. The crime in Memphis is all caused by guns. 

What a bunch of idiots. 🤬

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Forget that MPD is seriously undermanned and has poor leadership. Forget that the DA is soft on crime. Forget that judges release murderers ROR. The crime in Memphis is all caused by criminals who happen to use guns or knives or bats for fists/feet or, or, or

What a bunch of idiots. 🤬

There, fixed it for ya

Since when did the 2nd amendment ever come under majority rule. It is a right given by the constitution, not something anyone/anywhere can just vote away.  What a bunch of stooges thinking they can do that. 

If I lived in Memphis, "I would Move." Simple guys. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Since when did the 2nd amendment ever come under majority rule. It is a right given by the constitution, not something anyone/anywhere can just vote away.  What a bunch of stooges thinking they can do that. 

It's not always simply easy to move-

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I did. 32 years ago. Just didn't go far enough. But at the time it was the best I could do. Job, family, etc . No, it ain't simple. 

I like where I live. Nice town, but Memphis is right next door and I have to deal with it. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Gov. Lee speaks on Memphis’ gun control referendum after county commission sides with city over election cut.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - On Monday, Shelby County leaders officially sided with the Memphis City Council’s litigation over the election commission’s choice to omit a gun control referendum that was approved in July.

Shelby County commissioners voted 8-3-1 in support of the Memphis City Council’s lawsuit filed against the Shelby County Election Commission. The suit claims that the city has the right to call for a referendum election.

A back-and-forth on gun laws in Memphis seemingly ended after the election commission declared that it would not allow the referendum’s three gun control measures to appear on the November ballot.

The election commission said it was following the direction of the state election coordinator.

State GOP leaders also threatened to withhold $78 million in sales tax revenue from the City of Memphis.

During a visit to the Bluff City on Monday, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee declined to say whether he would sign any type of bill that would strip the money from Memphis.

The two-term governor did say he believes gun laws need to be consistent in every city and town across the state.

“The last thing we need is for the city to take on the rest of the state... to take on a fight with state government or with the laws that are consistent across the state,” said Lee. “We’re making way too much progress, and we need to keep moving.”

The city wants to be carved out of the state’s open-carry laws, citing concerns over gun violence.

A bill sponsored by State Senator London Lamar last session sought to carve out Shelby County, and it failed.

Governor Lee visited Memphis to celebrate Tennessee’s Youth Employment Program, which provides paying jobs to young people ages 14 to 24.

These idiots just won't give up. Memphis has now found themselves a Judge to say their gun control proposals can go on the November ballot. The reason being that its simply asking for voters opinions. It seems that the Memphis city council wants to make a show even when they know that even with voter approval, that trying to pass such laws would violate the state constitution. 

Is it any wonder why nobody in Nashville or Washington takes Memphis seriously? 

https://wreg.com/news/local/judge-rules-gun-control-questions-can-go-on-memphis-ballot/