Preferred Elk Caliber?

Hey all.  Newbie here.  I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think an effective caliber might be for elk.  I may eventually use this mystery rifle for buffalo someday, assuming I get that draw within my lifetime.  I'm leaning toward 7mm PRC, as I'm looking for a flat shooting cartridge that won't leave my shoulders worse off than they are at present.   

If my budget for the rifle is upwards of $1500, which brand do you guys like?  

Right now, I'm looking at the CVA Cascade LRH, which is about $700 under my budget, but the reviews I've read and watched seem really amazing, and it is available in 7mm PRC.

Thoughts if you have some on this? 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Darrell said:

A single arrow from a compound bow will kill em dead. Choose a rifle that you can carry in the mountains and fire accurately without flinching. 

No,.....it takes a 28 Nosler. LOL 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up in Idaho before i left with the Army. We killed more elk with 30-06 more than any other caliber out there. Buffalo is a different matter. Not sure if it is still on the books, but back then the minimum allowed in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming was a 45 class. .458's, 45/70, 45/100. This was per the hunting regs. Western buffalo compared to elk was like a bull cow compared to a white tail deer here. They are bigger, tougher, meaner. Go with enough gun!

On 8/23/2024 at 11:48 AM, Boogra said:

Hey all.  Newbie here.  I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think an effective caliber might be for elk.  I may eventually use this mystery rifle for buffalo someday, assuming I get that draw within my lifetime.  I'm leaning toward 7mm PRC, as I'm looking for a flat shooting cartridge that won't leave my shoulders worse off than they are at present.   

Right now, I'm looking at the CVA Cascade LRH, which is about $700 under my budget, but the reviews I've read and watched seem really amazing, and it is available in 7mm PRC.

Welcome!

Yes, the rifle and cartridge you are looking at will be fine for elk & bison. The 7 PRC is essentially the same "power" as the good old 7mm Rem Mag, but the PRC barrel twist is faster, allowing heavier (more ballistically aerodynamic) bullets to be used.

Elk are tough. They don't usually "bang, flop" so just keep shooting until it goes down, or no longer presents a shot. Better to 'overkill' vs losing an animal that is potentially wounded. Some dislike this philosophy due to potential meat loss. Elk are huge. There will still be plenty of meat to eat. Imagine how much meat you've lost if the animal walks off and dies miles away, never to be recovered. 

As for bison, they have huge hearts & huge lungs but they are not bullet proof. Same guns suitable for elk and moose, like the 7 PRC, will take out a bison. Same rules as elk apply (don't just shoot once and figure its all over; keep firing for effect.)

I shot a bison with a .308 Win (150gr Nosler Partition bullet) and another with a .338 Win Mag (250gr Hornady Interlock bullet.) Neither bison died faster or more dramatically than the other. Don't be worried about needing more gun. Just use good, deep penetrating bullets (i.e., Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Barnes TTSX, Swift A-Frame, Hornady Interbond, and other bonded or controlled expansion bullets.)

Edited by Frog4aday
Typos
  • Like 1

You really don't need a fancy PRC. Anything in the 30-06 class case like 8-06 ,338-06, 35 Whelen or the 9.3x62 will take anything you walk up on. As stated above use good bullets  

The old Western gun writer, Elmer Keith Father of the 357 and 44 magnums, said that anything walked on the North American continent can be taken with the 30 06 if loaded correctly (with the right bullets). Of course, his writings were old world 60 to 80's.  If you are not recoil sensitive, I see a lot of hunters, on TV today, using a 300 Win Mag, however it kicks like a mule. I like the 30 calibers also, but there some good PRC's and Nosler's, if ultra-modern is your cup to tea. 

Edited to add; My deer rifle is a 7 MM 08. Not sure I would trust it with Elk sized animals and for sure not Buffalo. I did see a Buffalo hunt on TV last spring and the hunter took him with 1 shot with a 30 06 at 80 yards. The bull Buffalo was an older banished from the herd fellow. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 12:48 PM, Boogra said:

I am also looking at the 7mm PRC for my long range/ elk cartridge and have read a bunch of good things on it.  I am a Tikka fanboy so I am just waiting until they put out a few rifles in that caliber and then I may jump on one!