Outpost Armory's Middle TN Expansion

I spoke to them yesterday on the phone about the Hendersonville store reopening and had not realized until then that not only do they own that store, but have also bought the old Nashville Gun & Knife Store in Belle Meade.  Nor did I know they had bought the old gun store in Franklin right off I-65 in the old Uncle Buds restaurant, Speaking of Hendersonville, I drive by there regularly and have noticed that rebuilding seemed to be taking a while since the tornado damage a while back.  The guy told me they had experienced issues with the insurance company that has delayed the progress of rebuilding. I may run out to the Harding Rd store today to check it out.

I was aware of much of their expansion but didn't know that they had acquired Nashville Gun & Knife.  As much as I want to see a diversity of ownership, I am glad that these locations are staying open (currently) to provide easier access.  My dealings with Outpost to this point have been great as well.

Stopped in there yesterday. Glad to see a preowned case. Only 4 pistols in it so far but it’s a beginning. That’s what I didn’t like about the old store, never seemed to have any used guns. I wonder if they plan on putting all the knives on clearance? 

I stopped by today.  Too out of the way for me to go to regularly without something more than I saw today to draw me. Hopefully the Hendersonville location will open soon.  Right now I’ve got the Goodlettsville Gun Shop really close and I buy a lot from there, but I would like some local variety close by.

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2024 at 7:38 PM, Pain103 said:

@Defender Have you been to RangeUSA yet? Seems like a nice place. I went in to buy some cleaning stuff as I didn't want to go to Academy, and it looked like a line to use the range. 

Yes, but want to go back again.

Edited by Defender

I use the Murfreesboro store often. Recently purchased a Hellcat, for daughter, and S W 686 from Outpost last year. Year before a Ruger Max 9 and AR 15, Springfield Armory Saint. Some ammo. They are helpful. 

Happy for the success for Outpost, but I hate seeing On Target close. A little competition is a good thing. Range fees at Outpost are very high as are other ranges in Rutherford Co. At least they have ranges, not a thing in Shelbyville and I have neighbors behind me on both sides.

• Like 1

I used to deal with outpost often, the location in murfreesboro looks great.  But the people are not the same, expansion is great if you can keep the way you did business the same.  They didn't, I'm glad I have independent gun shops around me.  I will not shop at outpost again,  my wife thought the same thing when we visited their store.  I've been in the Franklin store as well they were better but I dealt with someone I know.  I've given them multiple tries same result, I wish them well they are just not for me.

• Like 1

The staff make or break a gun shop.  A huge selection brings people in (think Nashville Armory) but the way they treat customers is what brings people back.  Sumner Gun is a great example - they've made a loyal customer out of me.  Hope Outpost takes the same approach to customer service.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Wheelgunner said:

The staff make or break a gun shop.  A huge selection brings people in (think Nashville Armory) but the way they treat customers is what brings people back.  Sumner Gun is a great example - they've made a loyal customer out of me.  Hope Outpost takes the same approach to customer service.

Well said.  I’m just 5 minutes from the Goodlettsville Gun Shop, and after that the nearest open shop is Guns n Leather in Greenbrier.  I’ve bought guns there and have also bought several at the Goodlettsville shop. I’ve found staff ok at Greenbrier and pretty good at Goodlettsville, but really looking forward to the Outpost reopening in Hendersonville.  Hope they are good.  The last time I felt really good about a gun shop was at the one in Hermitage, the Gun Crew.  I could browse there or just sit and have a cold drink and talk guns.  No range or gunsmith, but I liked them.  They always gave me a good price when buying a gun.  Alas, they only really do shows and online stuff now.  There was another one on Rivergate Parkway for a while, can’t remember the name but ran by a former Navy Chief, Dave, and he had an awesome crew that were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  

52 minutes ago, Defender said:

There was another one on Rivergate Parkway for a while, can’t remember the name but ran by a former Navy Chief, Dave, and he had an awesome crew that were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  

D& T Arms. That was a good shop.

I've never had anything but excellent service from Phil and his team at Goodlettsville Gun Shop. I always do my transfers there even though it's less convenient than 3 other stores who have all given me poor service in the past. If I'm ever looking for something specific, they're the first ones I call to see if they can get it for me.

• Like 1

Defender, glad you enjoyed D&T Arms.  Dave's good people and I'm sorry it closed.  A year and a half after my enlistment ended, I needed work.  When he found out he gave me a job on the spot at the store.  I learned a ton there.

• Like 1
On 8/24/2024 at 6:50 AM, Defender said:

Yes, been a few times.  I like it but it’s a ways from me.

They opened one awhile back in Goodlettsville. On Cartwright Street behind Starbucks.

22 hours ago, Wheelgunner said:

Defender, glad you enjoyed D&T Arms.  Dave's good people and I'm sorry it closed.  A year and a half after my enlistment ended, I needed work.  When he found out he gave me a job on the spot at the store.  I learned a ton there.

I liked D&T, I would go occasionally while still on patrol and do business checks while drooling. Everybody there always seemed laid back. 

On 8/24/2024 at 10:30 AM, Jpoc700 said:

I used to deal with outpost often, the location in murfreesboro looks great.  But the people are not the same, expansion is great if you can keep the way you did business the same.  They didn't, I'm glad I have independent gun shops around me.  I will not shop at outpost again,  my wife thought the same thing when we visited their store.  I've been in the Franklin store as well they were better but I dealt with someone I know.  I've given them multiple tries same result, I wish them well they are just not for me.

All shops have turn over and replace or add staff over time. Nature of the world.

I can think of at least 8 employees at the Murfreesboro location, including management, that were at the old location off Epps Mill for several years and are still working at the new Beasie Lane location. There are certainly new faces on the floor but I seldom deal with them since several of the long term staff know me by name and take care of me. 

• Like 2
On 8/26/2024 at 7:24 AM, Defender said:

Man I keep forgetting about that one! I’m going this week!

I like the people at the Goodlettsville Range USA and the ranges are nice. Good selection too.

• Like 1

The Outpost Armory's Belle Meade location evidently "opened" on the 24th of August.  They still have a lot of the Nashville Gun & Knife stock and are currently doing a sort of inventory to re-tag everything.  They are going to shift some of their firearm stock to the more appropriate location where it will most likely sell better (ie faster).  I was there today to make a purchase and the staff they had were very helpful.  Still have a nice selection there, but not too many used firearms if that is what you are looking for.

And I must say, what I purchased was actually cheaper than anything I found online.  But I have a feeling that is because they are mirroring some of Nashville Gun & Knife's prices on the more "unusual" items that they probably do not plan on continuing to carry.  They are still going through all of their back stock, so who knows what might turn up?