Hey All,

Just throwing some feelers out to get a little real world feedback. I’m in the market for a scope and I don’t really want to pony-up for another Nightforce or anything of that caliber (pun intended) at the moment. 

I’ll be target shooting and occasionally using it for deer hunting cut cornfields, so weight isn’t an issue. Looking to stay around $1k or less if possible, shooting midrange between 400-800yrds, clarity, tracking, and eye relief are my primary concerns.

Any advice or comments would be great! I was thinking maybe Athlon Ares, Vortex Strike Eagle or something similar I just don’t have much experience behind either. 

Thanks members!

Jeez! A $1000 scope is "budget" optics now?  I've always considered $1000 to be a lot of money. But there ya go!

I have an Athlon Ares on my 330 Lapua and I'm really happy with it.  From what I've read the Strike Eagle line isn't for heavy recoiling rifles, but the Viper seems to be well recommended. Keep us posted on what you find!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Darrell said:

Jeez! A $1000 scope is "budget" optics now?  I've always considered $1000 to be a lot of money. But there ya go!

I have an Athlon Ares on my 330 Lapua and I'm really happy with it.  From what I've read the Strike Eagle line isn't for heavy recoiling rifles, but the Viper seems to be well recommended. Keep us posted on what you find!

Thank you for your input!

Maybe I should’ve said mid price range… but it certainly seems like $1000 doesn’t go as far as it used to in the glass department! 

It seems a lot of people are happy with the Ares and Athlon in general which is what put it on my radar. If it’s standing up to your Lapua then it’ll definitely hold up for me.

What distances have you stretched it to, and is there anything you don’t like about it?

• Like 1

The scope is handling the recoil without any issues, zero has not had to be readjusted since installing it. I'm getting pretty long-of-tooth, and I don't push way out there,  the range I go to has targets out to 400 yards max. But then I can hit those with iron sights, so maybe that's not so impressive. I'd love to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards, but I can barely see that far!

2 hours ago, DL126 said:

I have a couple of Ares BTR's.
Very happy with them.

I've bought new "whiz bang" scopes at lower prices since getting them.
Disappointment ensued.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Ares-Scopes.aspx

Thanks for the input!

That buyer’s remorse is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I really expected to see more posts going for the Vortex, this is putting a lot of confidence behind the Ares.

4 hours ago, Jpoc700 said:

Mark 4 if you can find one, 

Thanks for the input! 

The decision has been narrowed to the Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56 and the Leupold Mk 4HD 4.5-18X52. I have a discount for each which brings them into my price range. The Leupold is still around $200 more, but wondering if it’s worth it…

decisions decisions  

1 hour ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Thanks for the input! 

The decision has been narrowed to the Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56 and the Leupold Mk 4HD 4.5-18X52. I have a discount for each which brings them into my price range. The Leupold is still around $200 more, but wondering if it’s worth it…

decisions decisions  

If you were closer I'd let you try my mark 4.  Long trip for a test run lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jpoc700 said:

If you were closer I'd let you try my mark 4.  Long trip for a test run lol

Haha I appreciate the offer anyway!

Do you have any complaints with the Mark 4, or any comparisons that you’d say it’s better/worse than?

No but it's the best I have, glass is great you can light up the reticle.  I've used it out to a 1000 everything works great for adjustments.  Eye relief is good.  I bought it 15 years ago I'd say about 500 rounds used for zero remained perfect.  Hasn't been used in a few years, the rifle it was on is gone, waiting on a new build next year.  You know its reliable they let Marines use it lol.  Good luck with your decision.  

• Like 1

Between the Mark 4 and the Razor. In the Army, guys used the Leupolds forever. Back in the stone ages in 04-05, the Mark 18 program was getting going and you could bring your own stuff. Most guys had the Leupolds. Toward the end of my “stay”  big army was getting stricter on what was used so information was standard and went to the Vortex Razor line and I believe they are still there for mid distance stuff. 600-1200 meters or so. Beyond that the Nightforce optics really shine. In my opinion anyway.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, JohnSutton1980 said:

Between the Mark 4 and the Razor. In the Army, guys used the Leupolds forever. Back in the stone ages in 04-05, the Mark 18 program was getting going and you could bring your own stuff. Most guys had the Leupolds. Toward the end of my “stay”  big army was getting stricter on what was used so information was standard and went to the Vortex Razor line and I believe they are still there for mid distance stuff. 600-1200 meters or so. Beyond that the Nightforce optics really shine. In my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the input!

I have quite a few vortex up and down their product lines, I think they’re a great value which is why I have so many. I hadn’t tried the strike eagle line yet which is why I was thinking of going that route, but with all the discount shops out there the $700-$1200 range is packed with great options right now. Logically the new Leupold MK4 HD is the route I should go because I can get a great deal on one and they are perfect for what I need on this. I’ve just been shocked with the overwhelming support for Athlon Ares which is throwing a wrench in my planning process.

P.S. Nightforce are absolute tanks so I totally agree with them being them being the standard after 1200m, I just can’t justify throwing one on this project

I get that! The Strike Eagle line to me seems to always be the budget line for Vortex. Not necessarily a bad think. Just a big jump in quality from the strike eagle to the Razor. I have no experience with the Athlon stuff. I do have a Riton 1-10x28 LPVO  on one of my AR 10s and I have been blown away by it. Perhaps Riton stuff is good also. I don’t know what their program is for mid range scopes. 

Arken is worth consideration. 

I have a cheaper Athlon on an AR platform rifle. The Argos BTR 6-24×50 and it is great at sub 500 yards. Up near the end of full magnification it does lose clarity especially at the outer edges. Sort of what you get on the budget stuff. Clarity and field of view at full magnification is what sets the top tier stuff apart. 

I also have 3 different lines of Vortex products from a Diamond Back to a Strike Eagle. The Strike Eagle has a very slight edge over the Venom I have and both beat the Diamond Back. Actually I have a 4th that is a Crossfire (their lowest price point) but it is an LPVO and hard to compare. It is not significantly worse but certainly no better than the Diamond Back. 

I would say the Argos BTR slots in right between the Diamond Back and the Venom in my stock. All of them fall short of the Arken EP5 5-25X56 I have had the opportunity to shoot on a friends rifle numerous times. 

I have used some Leupold and Nightforce products but do not have enough personal real world time behind them to make any claims of value or quality. I have used Nightforce stuff at work a lot but that was indoors, only 100 meters and in controlled lighting so not fair to make judgements on that experience other than to say they take a beating and lots of recoil with ease. 

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I would sum up this thread with a conclusion… 

So I had all but decided on the Leupold Mark 4HD, when I came across a screaming deal on a Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 UHD that I just couldn’t pass up.
Now I haven’t ran it through the motions on the range, but WOW I’m impressed at first glance. Again, I haven’t beat on the thing yet, so don’t come after me, but in terms of feel, it’s as sturdy as my Nightforce and the glass is shockingly clear. Who knows if it tracks perfectly or if the reticle is spot on throughout the magnification range yada yada yada… but so far I’d say I would absolutely buy another one considering it’s half the price of a Nightforce. So far my only gripe is that the turrets are a little TOO tactile for my liking, but I’d assume that’s personal preference.

Long story short I figured I’d update the thread for anyone who looks through this later and give a final thank you for everyone’s comments. 

Shoot straight gentlemen!

• Like 1