Pump Shotgun to Semi-Auto

For what it's worth...

If I wuz really interested in a 20 ga semiauto, I would look at the recoil operated guns from the " golden age " of the semiauto shotgun...

I would look for a good Browning Auto Five or a older recoil operated Franchi ( if they made em ... I ain't sure ).  I would replace the springs n friction rings ( or have an old gunsmith do it ), and make sure the ammo I chose would cycle. 

That said; the " golden era " Browning's are expensive, which would be an issue for me. 

Remember; the big selling point of a gas operated shotgun is they are somewhat " soft shooting "; the old recoil operated guns are not.

I own several recoil operated semis, because I grew up with em.  One of em is a Browning A500, a " lesser child " to many shotgunners because of their Portuguese build.  Mine works like a charm, but it's a 12 ga.  The other is a Beretta1201, again, a 12 gage.

I'd like to have a good, reliable 20 ga semi myself, but they tend to be scarce and pricy ( if " golden era ").

I also love the forgotten Browning BPS pumps. They are the best pump ever ( including the Mossberg, I think ).  They are pricey, and almost impossible to find in the shorter barrel lengths. The 20 ga ones have simply evaporated; a testament to their greatness.

Good luck on your quest for a sensibly priced 20 ga semi, it's gonna be a tall order to find the " Goldilocks " model I'ma thinkin.  

Hope this gives ya a bit of food for thought.

leroy.  

To reply to BigK, the capacity is a concern. And I wasn't sure if there were any semi-autos better than 4+1.

To JR - I had not seen one of those in years! 

I had considered a Mossberg SA-20 a few years back but went with a 12g instead. Even then there was very little in comparison. 

For the house, I like my 12 ga coach gun. Open choke, and short barrels. If you are trying to walk around the house in the dark, the short barrel doesnt keep hitting walls and doors.

• Thanks 1

Capacity is a minimal concern with auto loaders.  Only one recorded event where a person required a 2nd dose of 12 ga 00 buck and this was due to bad aim.  Reduced recoil 00 buck in 2 3/4" is plenty of stopping power in the 12 ga.  

• Like 1

I have a short brl Mossy Mdl 500 pump in 12 Ga with the extended magazine for my house shotgun. Had a MDL 500 20 Ga with the 18 1/2 brl and ordered a 26" brl for it from Mosberg and gave it to my grandson to duck hunt with. Winchester Bismuth 4's make it a little mightier in the duck game. Saw the same gun patterned today on TV with the same load, and it was deadly at 25 yards. If a duck gets through that pattern, it borders on being a miracle. If it don't fall, the shooter just missed. 

Edited to add; How many of you shotgunners pattern your shotguns?

Edited by pop pop

Mossberg 590 here as in house defense.

On 8/21/2024 at 10:08 AM, BigK said:

No recommendation, just a question...do you have any concerns about the reduced capacity that comes with semi-auto for HD?

The Benelli M1 holds 8 with a factory mag tube extension and a ghost load, Stoeger 3000 holds 9 with a mag tube extension and a ghost load.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, RED333 said:

The Benelli M1 holds 8 with a factory mag tube extension and a ghost load, Stoeger 3000 holds 9 with a mag tube extension and a ghost load.

With a barrel in the 18" to 18.5" range for HD?

10 hours ago, RED333 said:

The Benelli M1 holds 8 with a factory mag tube extension and a ghost load...

I'ma thinkin the Benelli is the " child " of the old Franchi aluminum frame semi I mentioned above...

I've got a buddy ( now gone on..  SIGH.. ) who put  thousands ( not hundreds), but thousands of Double A trap reloads thru one without a hiccup... I did the same with my beloved Winchester Model 50.

The Benelli may be your solution.  As I remember, the Benelli pumps are right up there with the Browning BPS too, but they are all 12 ga...

leroy...

• Like 1

I’ve got a Saige 12 semi-auto 12 ga but it stays in my safe mostly.  Home defense shotguns are a 8+1 12 ga Mossberg pump Persuader, no stock, just pistol grip, and a Mossberg 20 ga Shockwave pump.

4 hours ago, RED333 said:

The 590 is 14"

For sure, 590 all day long.

I should have clarified that I meant the semi-autos I know of with more than 4+1 don't meet the HD requirement on length. They tend to be too long for HD.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

The requirement for 20g is what’s stumping me. Antipersonnel setups that have an increased mag capacity with a shorter barrel are common in 12g, but 20g is a tough nut to crack. 

The 20 Ga will do the job. I had a Mossy 20 that held 4+1 2 3/4, with the plug removed. Put a side saddle on it although the 5 should do the job IMO. Rarely will a private citizen be in a running gun battle in one's house. I had 6 extra rounds on mine just in case. Reloads, in an emergency situation, are very seldom needed by citizens.  Cops, for sure needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I only know what I personally like, but my Beretta A303 20 gauge semi autos are among the most reliable guns ever (with standard loads). Have had mine since the 1980's. Can be found used for a decent price. However, only the sport model had a shorter barrel AFAIK and that was 26". Don't see those a lot.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

I run a 12.3" 12 gauge police 870 for the tractor and shoot rats. I hate to tell you how much fun it is.

I have not ever seen your face, but cam almost "see you grin from ear to ear".