I got hacked.

So I was hacked an knew the moment it started. Guy hit my email, ebay, PayPal netflix,.........

I locked everything down before he got anything of mine. He only took over ebay, netflix, and briefly my email. I killed the email first and started locking him out of everything else. He sent me a nice little message telling me he hoped I'd kill myself and my family would die. I was kinda expecting a hit. Did not see the email though. Guy moved my ebay to the spam folder so I wouldn't get notified. My stock account started blowing up my phone. Probably saved my bacon. 

• Wow 1
  • Angry 3

Damn, hope the hacker gets the worst in the end. If these kinds of people would put that much effort into good things think how much the world would be.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, RED333 said:

Damn, hope the hacker gets the worst in the end. If these kinds of people would put that much effort into good things think how much the world would be.

Looked like he was in the UK, but impossible for me to know for sure. I do have an email for him though. 

Are you sharing passwords amongst accounts?

Unfortunately when it comes to being breached, it's not if, it's when.

Now is the time to go through all of your accounts to ensure you have things like multi-factor auth enabled. Also ditch common passwords. It's a pain, but worth it in the long run. Get yourself a good password manager (avoid LastPass) and use random strings

This "hacker" probably just bought a list from some data broker, which included your stuff. The fact that they engaged in a message with you is telling. Nobody in the business would leave a papertrail to their handiwork.

Edited by NoBanStan

A password creator and password manager that I like to use since it does not use the cloud is KeePass.

Most of my account passwords have different login IDs and passwords. Any breach of one site or company does not impact any of my other accounts.

Edited by threeshot
41 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Are you sharing passwords amongst accounts?

Unfortunately when it comes to being breached, it's not if, it's when.

Now is the time to go through all of your accounts to ensure you have things like multi-factor auth enabled. Also ditch common passwords. It's a pain, but worth it in the long run. Get yourself a good password manager (avoid LastPass) and use random strings

This "hacker" probably just bought a list from some data broker, which included your stuff. The fact that they engaged in a message with you is telling. Nobody in the business would leave a papertrail to their handiwork.

The only thing they got into didn't have a secondary authentication. I've been getting probes for a few months. Guy was using my email to try different accounts including stuff I don't have like Disney+. He was also using encrypted email. I use encrypted messaging. Not that impressive. Locking my email stopped him from getting anything else. He couldn't stop me from getting updates on what he was doing. Once I changed everything over, the old email was nuked. I don't think they were top tier guys. I'm not that skilled on that side of things. 

My passwords were not very complex, but they are sometimes in a different language or multiple foreign languages. My new passwords are a bit different. 

49 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

The only thing they got into didn't have a secondary authentication. I've been getting probes for a few months. Guy was using my email to try different accounts including stuff I don't have like Disney+. He was also using encrypted email. I use encrypted messaging. Not that impressive. Locking my email stopped him from getting anything else. He couldn't stop me from getting updates on what he was doing. Once I changed everything over, the old email was nuked. I don't think they were top tier guys. I'm not that skilled on that side of things. 

My passwords were not very complex, but they are sometimes in a different language or multiple foreign languages. My new passwords are a bit different. 

Try to avoid using just words as they are prone to dictionary attacks. 'Ilovefootball' isn't a great password. Switching out characters, shortening words, etc will make a huge difference. We're talking the difference of minutes to crack vs a million years. Or use something memorable that only you would know. Like that time the titans threw a hail mary on 4th down and won. 'Titns4dwnH4ilmry!'

image.thumb.png.3869ae18d5ec6e1bc75af7fdbbe3a2ed.png
image.png.27db63788bd4d398003ca21a8c8d67db.png

That's just an example. Nothing is foolproof sadly. You will NEVER be completely secure online. But taking steps like this will stop 99% of the riff raff like a deadbolt on your front door.

Edited by NoBanStan

I can't believe how bold your crook was to actually contact you.

I'm so paranoid about online security that I use a reputable password generator and a completely different company for password storage.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

These guys run the gamut from amateur to expert so it's best to add as much security you can to your devices and accounts. That being said, it gets difficult keeping up with hard passwords so I use a password program.  I switched over to ProtonPass from Lastpass because it still lets you access it from a website as well as the app.  LastPass used to do that but has switched to a paid version to do that.  With that passwords that you can generate can be as complex as you want and it can be human readable or just a bunch of gibberish. My info has been stolen numerous times so all my financial stuff has two factor authentication so they would need to have my phone as well as my password to get in.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Omega said:

These guys run the gamut from amateur to expert so it's best to add as much security you can to your devices and accounts. That being said, it gets difficult keeping up with hard passwords so I use a password program.  I switched over to ProtonPass from Lastpass because it still lets you access it from a website as well as the app.  LastPass used to do that but has switched to a paid version to do that.  With that passwords that you can generate can be as complex as you want and it can be human readable or just a bunch of gibberish. My info has been stolen numerous times so all my financial stuff has two factor authentication so they would need to have my phone as well as my password to get in.  

So.....5HaCkersallf#@kGoat$ isn't a good password?

LOL

Edited by Alleycat72