Tactical?

So am I missing something, or does 'tactical' just mean 'de-cocker'?

I kinda thought tactical meant a gun usually with a de-cocker, but also a threaded barrel and maybe suppressor height sights?

Now I see ads for a 'tactical' model, and its a normal model with de-cocker instead of a safety.

8 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

It's just a word like "Magnum".

Please explain, I have a revolver in 44 MAGNUM, there are 44 Special firearms that will not shoot 44 Magnum.

Now Doge did build a few "Magnum" cars starting with the Chrysler B platform-based 2-door coupe marketed from 1978 to 1979. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Magnum

8 hours ago, Tom B said:

So am I missing something, or does 'tactical' just mean 'de-cocker'?

I kinda thought tactical meant a gun usually with a de-cocker, but also a threaded barrel and maybe suppressor height sights?

Now I see ads for a 'tactical' model, and its a normal model with de-cocker instead of a safety.

I see it as a catch all word, there are Tactical trucks, Tactical firearms, even tactical muzzle loader rifles.

40 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Please explain, I have a revolver in 44 MAGNUM, there are 44 Special firearms that will not shoot 44 Magnum.

Now Doge did build a few "Magnum" cars starting with the Chrysler B platform-based 2-door coupe marketed from 1978 to 1979. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Magnum

I see it as a catch all word, there are Tactical trucks, Tactical firearms, even tactical muzzle loader rifles.

The word "Magnum" was a marketing tool for ammunition sales. Just put an unnecessary belt on the bottom of a bottleneck case and call it a magnum. Charles Newton had rifles in what would be considered modern belt less magnums, but didn't have a cool name derived from wine bottles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

The word "Magnum" was a marketing tool for ammunition sales. Just put an unnecessary belt on the bottom of a bottleneck case and call it a magnum. Charles Newton had rifles in what would be considered modern belt less magnums, but didn't have a cool name derived from wine bottles. 

I have the “ 7 mm REM MAG” and it is what you posted about, “ Fake magnum”.

53 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I have the “ 7 mm REM MAG” and it is what you posted about, “ Fake magnum”.

It's not fake, but it doesn't need a belt.  The 44 mag is a prime example of marketing. If you called it the 429 long, it'd still do just a good of a job. 38 long doesn't sound as cool as 357 mag. The 7mm mag was developed to kill the 264 mag and it did. 

• Like 2

Tactical seems to be a marketing term meant to attract buyers who are willing to spend a bit more, in the hopes of making a more effective handgun.  To me, it just means decked out to looker cool.  And, to make the gun look more capable, even without ever shooting the thing.  Some of the best handguns I have ever owned/shot/competed with are seriously lacking in the good looks department. 

Edited by JustEd
Awful grammar
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Thearmededucator said:

That’s actually one I don’t have a problem with. To me that means durable, high linens, high candela, light with a focused beam and good throw

Honestly, I was in dire need of a rechargable light before they were popular. I bought a flea market "tactical" for cheap and it is just now getting to where the switch is sketchy. it's over 10 years old and has served me well.

normally in a pistol, for me "tactical" means threaded barrel and raised/suppressor height sights. At least that's what I've gotten on my FN pistols (509, FNX, 502 (well the 22lr didn't have raised sights but was threaded)). 

Sometimes with lever guns it's threaded, black, mlok slots, plastic, etc. 

At a minimum I would assume any "tactical" rifle/pistol would be threaded. 

from the Oxford dictionary; relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.

For my money tactical would be stealthy. Quiet, unnoticed, achieving one's objective with minimal effort.

Looking at tactical teams and gear would lead one to assume it means having every possible piece of gear you could ever by some chance need when the perfect plan works as one would expect (SNAFU).

1 hour ago, papa61 said:

from the Oxford dictionary; relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.

Looking at tactical teams and gear would lead one to assume it means having every possible piece of gear you could ever by some chance need when the perfect plan works as one would expect (SNAFU).

All while being as overtly conspicuous as possible.  😀

• Haha 2

I always thought magnum was in reference to chamber pressure. I understand the different calibers such as all of the .38s are where the measurement is taken. but tactical is just an add on term for has extra stuff. for handguns, could be and accessory rail or a 1911 with round butt. It's all in the perception. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, papa61 said:

I always thought magnum was in reference to chamber pressure. I understand the different calibers such as all of the .38s are where the measurement is taken. but tactical is just an add on term for has extra stuff. for handguns, could be and accessory rail or a 1911 with round butt. It's all in the perception. 

I thought a magnum was an overly large champagne bottle.

I also thought the correct spelling for tactical was tact-i-cool.

• Haha 1

Just saw a Ruger Mkiv 22 bull barrel.

It was the" tactical "version.  Apparently it seems to mean it has a pic rail on top and under the barrel.

Too bad the trigger was the usual somewhat rough and gritty type.  Also featured a long pull with gobs of over travel.

Not badmouthing Ruger.  I had the original mk 22 and shot the heck out of it.  But had a local smith smooth the trigger and install  a screw to allow over travel adjustment.  Guess that made it the Mk 1 "tactical" version.