Big trouble at the Piggly Wiggly, of all places.

10 hours ago, Garufa said:

Those days are long gone.  The sooner everyone learns how to hold their tongue the better.

1st Amendment allows basically unfettered verbal agitation and smart-assedness just like the 2nd supposedly allows free access to all guns.

Regardless, no one has any business or right telling a complete stranger what is right or wrong based on their own personal beliefs 

I just miss the days when most folks had manners, or at least pretended to.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Garufa said:

1st Amendment allows basically unfettered verbal agitation and smart-assedness just like the 2nd supposedly allows free access to all guns.

As put to paper it does allow free access to all arms.

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Will Carry said:

Some may say that I was asking for trouble, wearing a shirt like that.  Maybe I should have turned the other cheek. I didn't want to hurt the guy, but I will make my stand to live and die a free man, as long as my wife approves.

Your favorite NFL jersey worn in an opposing team's hometown will invite smart-assed remarks from people who want to feel big about themselves.  People can be assholes, as you've noticed.

Anyway, I what I really wanted to add to this conversation is the basic necessity of being competent in verbal judo.  We're all going to invite attention to ourselves sooner or later - even if it's because of something we can't change about ourselves. 

When that happens, the best initial course of action is de-escalation if at all possible. 

It would suck to get injured or murdered by a small-minded idiot because you took the bait and got into a battle of words with them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, leroy said:

I tried... Got the restaurant articles only... I'm convinced I ain't dreaming this.  

10 hours ago, i1afli said:

You’re not dreaming it.  Perhaps Garufa will clarify what was incorrect. 

Not dreaming it, but butchered most of the facts. He was charged with trespassing and it wasn't nearly as severe as Leroy painted it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wate.com/news/knox-county-news/knoxville-restaurant-owner-arrested-with-protesters-on-ut-campus/amp/

11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Not dreaming it, but butchered most of the facts. He was charged with trespassing and it wasn't nearly as severe as Leroy painted it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wate.com/news/knox-county-news/knoxville-restaurant-owner-arrested-with-protesters-on-ut-campus/amp/

I'll admit to " butchering the facts "... I ain't sure what " Criminal Trespassing" is, but I'm betting ya get arrested for it .

The problem for Yaseem,  is that the damage is done.  He simply could have stayed out of this idiotic mess, but he chose not to.  None of this " notierity", no matter the details, has helped him in any way.  

It is, indeed, a tragedy.

leroy.  

This never helps.. ( lifted from the News 6 article )...

"... Officers arrived and took the protesters into custody. Terou was released from the Roger D. Wilson Detention Facility in Knox County Thursday morning. ..." 

Edited by leroy
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Your favorite NFL jersey worn in an opposing team's hometown will invite smart-assed remarks from people who want to feel big about themselves.  People can be assholes, as you've noticed.

Anyway, I what I really wanted to add to this conversation is the basic necessity of being competent in verbal judo.  We're all going to invite attention to ourselves sooner or later - even if it's because of something we can't change about ourselves. 

When that happens, the best initial course of action is de-escalation if at all possible. 

It would suck to get injured or murdered by a small-minded idiot because you took the bait and got into a battle of words with them.

Very true. You reminded me of running into the local "Karen" last year when we were moving in. To understand fully you have to know that I have degenerative disc disease and torn rotator cuff in both shoulders. I also moved us with some help from my stepson. So I was hot, tired and in pain when I pulled into the parking space at Walmart with my wife. She put her handicap placard on the mirror and we put the sun shield up. WITH the tag on the outer side. It took me a couple minutes after shutting the car off and opening the door to pull myself out of the car. As we walked to the back of the car a woman walked by and asked "where's your tag"? My mind immediately jumped to someone had stolen our tag, but I looked and said "right there". She said she meant our handicap tag as she had one on the back of her truck. I went from tired and in pain to angry in a flash. I told her it was none of her business, move along. She persisted and I asked if she was with the police. She continued with her tirade at which point I told her if she thought we were doing anything illegal to call the cops and get out of my business. I was not pleasant, I was no longer polite, and I used some rough and foul language. In other words, most sane people would have walked away. She did not and continued, my wife even called her "Karen" and told her the tag was on the mirror. Had she been a man, it would have been damn the pain beat down time. You never know who you might be triggering, today might be the wrong day to say good morning to someone or it might be the thing that brightens their day. Sorry for the book, but David reminded me that it doesn't have to be something YOU say or do, it could be something you didn't say, wear, do, act. 

50 minutes ago, leroy said:

I'll admit to " butchering the facts "... I ain't sure what " Criminal Trespassing" is, but I'm betting ya get arrested for it .

The problem for Yaseem,  is that the damage is done.  He simply could have stayed out of this idiotic mess, but he chose not to.  None of this " notierity", no matter the details, has helped him in any way.  

It is, indeed, a tragedy.

leroy.  

This never helps.. ( lifted from the News 6 article )...

"... Officers arrived and took the protesters into custody. Terou was released from the Roger D. Wilson Detention Facility in Knox County Thursday morning. ..." 

While I don't agree with Yassin's new-found "activism" or his stances on may things, I think maybe the University's response (including UTPD) might have been just a little much.  Buy all accounts he's a helluva nice guy.   He now has three locations of his "Yassin's Falafel House", still well liked and the food is excellent.  I don't think his reputation has been damaged at all.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2024/05/16/knoxville-restaurant-owner-yassin-terou-injured-during-protest-arrest/73712670007/

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

“Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it.”

• Like 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I think wearing a controversial clothing item, while your right to do, is akin to a girl with her ass hanging out of her shorts and complaining of men looking and making disparaging remarks. You are free to do it, but not free from the consequences it brings forth.

That girl with her butt hanging out if her shorts is perfectly satisfied with the ratio of desired vs undesired reactions.  The same goes for a controversial tshirt. 

• Like 1

I have noticed that "Hate Speech" is in the ear of the beholder.....1st Amendment be damned....if you are not in the group of power your speech is hate. Anti abortion, The Gospel, Country music, all examples of what is no longer correct....political or not. 

Edited by ArmyBrat61
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Garufa...

"...While I don't agree with Yassin's new-found "activism" or his stances on may things, I think maybe the University's response (including UTPD) might have been just a little much.  Buy all accounts he's a helluva nice guy.   He now has three locations of his "Yassin's Falafel House", still well liked and the food is excellent.  I don't think his reputation has been damaged at all "...

I think the jury is out on this. 

My son is a " Falafel House " regular customer n cheerleader.  He ain't now, since this incident...

Yassin may survive this, but there ain't a business nor publicity model that I know of where this is anything other than a catastrophe. 

The point is; he could have simply avoided this by not being present.  The truth is that while Yassin is a valued community member; he is a minority, whether anybody likes or approves or not.  That position has its own share of unique problems. 

We can quibble about fairness, equality, and all the high minded, eloquent principles that argue against stereotypes and promote the " brotherhood of man "; but people do, in fact, make judgements and have preferences.  

Yassin may well survive, but I'ma thinkin that lotsa " good will capital" has been totally been wasted here if this becomes widely known.  

In sum, there is no way this is good for him in any demographic other than the " Anti Israel IDF Baby killers " one.  I'ma guessin that demographic is infinitesimal in these parts, even counting the jhadist,  loonies, n misfits from UTK and surrounding edifices of " Higher Learning ", and the occasional Anti Israel native sons and imports...

leroy...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

🤔I reckon I’m impressed if a man can make a living selling that.

Ain't it the truth Brother..!  The only way I know about em is that the son takes me there from time to time...

epicurian leroy...

• Like 2
11 hours ago, RED333 said:

As put to paper it does allow free access to all arms.

And how has that worked out over the past 233 years?  

The point is. The vast majority of people think that the 1st gives them the right to run their mouths and confront people without repercussion .  I submit it does not.  If people would mind their own business then we would not be discussing some asshole at the Piggly Wiggly. 

On another note, I had no idea that Piggly Wiggly is still in existence.   It was the first self service grocery ever and started in Memphis.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4

Yassin’s business hasn’t been hurt by this. At least not at the downtown location. Had lunch from there the other day and will do so again. While I don’t agree with his opinion, I still respect his right to have it and to disagree with me. I’ve never known him to be the belligerent sort. I be

I believe the protest was peaceful and nonviolent. He just refused to leave when told to do so.

I will also add that he has done a lot of good in our little city in various ways.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, Garufa said:

And how has that worked out over the past 233 years?  

.gov has stepped all over the 2nd, not "We The People".

28 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The point is. The vast majority of people think that the 1st gives them the right to run their mouths and confront people without repercussion .  I submit it does not.  If people would mind their own business then we would not be discussing some asshole at the Piggly Wiggly. 

I do agree 100%, one can not say "I want to take out the POTUS", now a days one has to very careful about making threats as well.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
26 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I do agree 100%, one can not say "I want to take out the POTUS", now a days one has to very careful about making threats as well.

No one should even think of such a thing much less use it as an example.  Why would one make threats?

34 minutes ago, Garufa said:

No one should even think of such a thing much less use it as an example.  Why would one make threats?

There are nut jobs out there. My self, I am going the other way if at all possible!

• Like 1