Big trouble at the Piggly Wiggly, of all places.

I have this t-shirt that has an Israeli flag on it and says, "Proud to support Israel."  My church has had a long relationship with a synagogue in town. I was wearing this shirt yesterday when my wife and I went to the grocery store. I had 4 people in the store walk up to me and thank me for wearing the shirt.  One lady and I talked for a while about what this country has become. Then this man walks by pushing a cart and says, "You know you are supporting baby killers, don't you?" The snarky look on his face, the fact that this was happening in a Piggly Wiggly, one of the last bastions of rural American culture, I snapped back, "Hammas are the baby killers, hiding behind women and children like cowards."  I guess he wasn't expecting this, not being from the South and all. He went on a mad tirade about the history of the middle east and how much he hated the Jews. Then he walked up into my face, with is chest all bowed out. He didn't seem to notice when I dropped my right foot back a little.  He probably didn't know I was thinking about the best way to take him down if he touched me. Then he finished by saying "You shouldn't be wearing that shirt!" My response was calm and subdued, "I will wear whatever shirt I want to and you can kiss my LARGEMOUTH BASS!"  He decided to walk away suddenly, and I turned around and saw the security guard walking down the aisle.  I said, "There is something wrong with that guy, I think he's on drugs, you might want to go talk to him." Which he did. Thus ended the confrontation. 

Some may say that I was asking for trouble, wearing a shirt like that.  Maybe I should have turned the other cheek. I didn't want to hurt the guy, but I will make my stand to live and die a free man, as long as my wife approves.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 14

I'm sorry to hear this...

The country is being Balkanized and the state of Tennessee is being over run with idiots in lotsa places... They have no notion of manners nor the ability to keep their ignorant mouths shut.   SIGH.  

leroy .  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sucks you went through that. Who knows what was going on in their personal life that made them want to attack you over print on a t-shirt. My guess is weaponized MSM and social media. I seriously doubt they're doing humanitarian work in that theater.

Idiots are everywhere unfortunately. You should wear the shirt if you want. Just maybe be prepared to have that convo again in the future. I tend to try and shift it to kindness. Maybe next time instead of responding in kind to the attack, just immediately start telling them about the good you've seen.  Fight fire with water.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, leroy said:

I'm sorry to hear this...

The country is being Balkanized and the state of Tennessee is being over run with idiots in lotsa places... They have no notion of manners nor the ability to keep their ignorant mouths shut.   SIGH.  

leroy .  

They all move here because it is a great place. You know what made it a great place? Their absence.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 9

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Personally, I don't wear shirts with personal opinions on them. Not even pro-gun shirts. I'm a believer in being the gray man. Blend in and go un-noticed. Life is simpler that way. 😉

• Like 4

I have worn t shirts that support Israel in public and more folks ask if I'm Jewish. I say no but my Savior is and I'm supposed to be like Him. The times are getting darker and our light we shine draws them from the darkness. We were told persecution would come to us. It is something not taught in the "churches" today. Be ready brothers, the storm is coming!

• Like 11
  • Love 1

RE:.." Freedom of expression "... This country is built upon freedom of expression and freedom of association.  The hippie generation of the sixties took this " freedom " to the extreme. 

They and their children are now concentrated on the left; and " freedom of expression" has morphed into " hate speech "... If they don't like it; you can't speak it...

They have become the very image of the thing they hated in their youth.  Ain't that interesting..?

leroy...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

As someone who holds views on this subject much more in line with the person you encountered*, let me first say that his behavior was indefensible. I’m just not the type to engage with strangers over things like that because there’s almost nothing to ever be gained from it and the risks of things going badly, quickly are way too high. But if I were to engage with someone over a hot button topic, a calm demeanor and open attitude go a long way to encouraging understanding rather than enmity.

The flip side of that is that if one wears clothing or bumper stickers or other metaphorical flags on controversial issues, you must be prepared to encounter those that are less than rational on highly emotionally charged subjects. You’re going to draw them to you like a moth to a flame.

I view it much like going to the ATM in a dark parking lot in a bad part of town or anywhere else where the odds of needing a gun go exponentially upwards. Sure, I should be able to do it, but is it smart? No. Not really. Would I hold a certain level of responsibility for intentionally putting myself in a bad situation? Yeah. I absolutely would.

It’s a simple risk mitigation equation. Is this inherently risky behavior I’m about to engage in,  is it worth it if it goes really badly?

*edited to clarify, my issues are with the secular nation state of Israel, not Jewish people in general. I realize that may not have been originally clear

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

How can I call myself an American, if I am afraid to utilize the rights that my forefathers fought and died for.  If we cower from bullies, we will soon be ruled by bullies.  A Piggly Wiggly on Thursday afternoon is not an ATM, late at night, in a bad neighborhood.  Chuck, I will fight for your right to support whatever you want. I thank you for your response and for talking to me straight, an admirable quality. 

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

While I mostly agree with not projecting my beliefs ie being the "gray man" if we continue to not speak up those who would act irrationally towards our personal beliefs will only be more emboldened. Conservatives have held our peace for so long that we are now considered radicals for believing in personal freedom, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Sometimes, one has to speak the truth regardless of other's feelings and the truth is if it hurts your feelings hearing said truth you are wrong and I really don't care about your feelings anyway. I am entitled to my beliefs and opinions. 
The example Chucktshoes put forth is a great one, we should be able to go to an ATM in a bad area in the dark and we should hold our leaders and law enforcement's collective feet to the fire until we can. Or go well heeled with backup. Your choice.
The person who verbally attacked you got what was coming. He wasn't interested in a reasonable discussion and didn't get it nor satisfaction of bullying you. Speaking one's mind or freedom of speech comes with consequences for all. This person expected you to shrink and apologize for your personal beliefs. Tom Petty said "you can stand me up at the gates of hell and I won't back down". 

"LIBERTY MEANS RESPONSIBILITY. THAT IS WHY MOST MEN DREAD IT"
George Bernard Shaw

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On a similar note; we had a recent " Day of Rage " demonstration ( a small one ) here in Knoxville. 

During the course of the demonstration; a long time ( and beloved ) Arab member of the community ( there is a pretty old n established one here, along with a pretty good Jewish one as well ) who runs a long time mom n pop restaurant here got carried away; opened his pie hole too loudly, and evidently did a bit of resistin when the KPD called em down and told him ya go home. 

He wuz charged with " resisting arrest " ( I think ) and booked.  He was ( past tense ) a respected and even beloved long time restraunteer here.  His zeal actions may have destroyed a business it took 40 years to build up.  

These encounters are, indeed, a tragedy...

leroy...

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, leroy said:

On a similar note; we had a recent " Day of Rage " demonstration ( a small one ) here in Knoxville. 

During the course of the demonstration; a long time ( and beloved ) Arab member of the community ( there is a pretty old n established one here, along with a pretty good Jewish one as well ) who runs a long time mom n pop restaurant here got carried away; opened his pie hole too loudly, and evidently did a bit of resistin when the KPD called em down and told him ya go home. 

He wuz charged with " resisting arrest " ( I think ) and booked.  He was ( past tense ) a respected and even beloved long time restraunteer here.  His zeal actions may have destroyed a business it took 40 years to build up.  

These encounters are, indeed, a tragedy...

leroy...

If you are referring to Yassin, I think you might have your story all wrong.

Edited by Garufa

I think wearing a controversial clothing item, while your right to do, is akin to a girl with her ass hanging out of her shorts and complaining of men looking and making disparaging remarks. You are free to do it, but not free from the consequences it brings forth.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I think wearing a controversial clothing item, while your right to do, is akin to a girl with her ass hanging out of her shorts and complaining of men looking and making disparaging remarks. You are free to do it, but not free from the consequences it brings forth.

I agree people will stare and point, some will say something. That's all well and good. Just don't invade someone's personal space to do so. What if it were a MAGA or John Deere hat, would that be different? Would that give left wingers and DEI supporters the right to verbally accost me and get in my face? Suppose someone were to get in my face because of a Harley tee shirt? You could stretch that into affiliation with outlaw bikers. Try turning it around. How about we allow people to pull stunts like this against women wearing Habibs? would that be ok too. 

On a side note, some young women are downright indecent and should be stared at and talked about. Notice I did not say accosted. Looking and talking are one thing, touching and a nasty attitude should not be tolerated.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

If you are referring to Yassin, I think you might have your story all wrong.

Tell me more... What is incorrect. ?  I can't find the article now...

leroy...

Edited by leroy
24 minutes ago, papa61 said:

I agree people will stare and point, some will say something. That's all well and good. Just don't invade someone's personal space to do so. What if it were a MAGA or John Deere hat, would that be different? Would that give left wingers and DEI supporters the right to verbally accost me and get in my face? Suppose someone were to get in my face because of a Harley tee shirt? You could stretch that into affiliation with outlaw bikers. Try turning it around. How about we allow people to pull stunts like this against women wearing Habibs? would that be ok too. 

On a side note, some young women are downright indecent and should be stared at and talked about. Notice I did not say accosted. Looking and talking are one thing, touching and a nasty attitude should not be tolerated.

None of this seemed to be a problem back when a good ass beating was socially acceptable.

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, leroy said:

Tell me more... What is incorrect. ?  I can't find the article now...

leroy...

If we are indeed discussing Yassin then just google his name for news articles.

Just now, Garufa said:

If we are indeed discussing Yassin then just google his name for news articles.

I tried... Got the restaurant articles only... I'm convinced I ain't dreaming this.  

3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

None of this seemed to be a problem back when a good ass beating was socially acceptable.

There are places where this can happen now.  The more " quaintly rustic " the territories become; the more dangerous it becomes to be an overbearing jackass with alot to say... 

leroy.   

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Those days are long gone.  The sooner everyone learns how to hold their tongue the better.

1st Amendment allows basically unfettered verbal agitation and smart-assedness just like the 2nd supposedly allows free access to all guns.

Regardless, no one has any business or right telling a complete stranger what is right or wrong based on their own personal beliefs 

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, leroy said:

I tried... Got the restaurant articles only... I'm convinced I ain't dreaming this.  

You’re not dreaming it.  Perhaps Garufa will clarify what was incorrect. 

Edited by i1afli
  • Like 1