KIMBER ULTRA CDP II FEED THE PIG

krunchnik

Hey anyone here own a Kimber Ultra CDP II thats had function problems well into 300 rounds or more,I bought brand new and have fed at least 350 rounds thru it and still have a return to battery problem,I am using Wilson Combat mags and clean the gun religiously after shooting.Is this normal for a brand new Kimber???:rofl:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean that the slide is locking back as if the mag is empty? I have read that the slide lock sometimes has extra material that causes this and that by taking the slide lock out you can see from wear marks what is causing this and can fix it. I researched this when my Stainless II did this in the first 120 rounds. But from the 120 round mark mine has been flawless. And according to everything I read, a call to Kimber will get another slide lock sent to you for free of course...probably no different than the one you have though, but might be handy if you take too much material off of the original.

Do you mean that the slide is locking back as if the mag is empty? I have read that the slide lock sometimes has extra material that causes this and that by taking the slide lock out you can see from wear marks what is causing this and can fix it. I researched this when my Stainless II did this in the first 120 rounds. But from the 120 round mark mine has been flawless. And according to everything I read, a call to Kimber will get another slide lock sent to you for free of course...probably no different than the one you have though, but might be handy if you take too much material off of the original.

Yes sir I believe that is exactly whats happening,I removed the slide and compared where the ammo rides,and sure enough the head of the bullet slides along that nib on the slide stop.I took some crocus cloth and removed some of the tip of the bump and checked with an empty mag that it would still activate the stop.All I have to do now is get to the range to try it out.:)

On the 1911 boards, most Kimber fans will always blame the mags for this. Supposedly, you shouldn't use the Wilson mags until after the 500 round break in period :) . I have a custom CDP II I need to get out to the range, hopefully mine won't have the issues many Kimbers seem to have now.

On the 1911 boards, most Kimber fans will always blame the mags for this. Supposedly, you shouldn't use the Wilson mags until after the 500 round break in period :) . I have a custom CDP II I need to get out to the range, hopefully mine won't have the issues many Kimbers seem to have now.

Most of the issues I read about is either fails to extract or fails to feed,I have not heard about not using Wilson mags until broke in,most are using them right from the get go,also most of the problems are with the 3 inch barrel models,doesnt seem like the 4 inch on up have any problems.I hope your shoot goes well.:biglol:

My Stainless II is the 5 inch model, but still had that problem in the first 120 rounds...began to wonder if it was the slide stop itself or if I was somehow putting presure on the slide stop with my left hand somehow during recoil, but it corrected itself and has been flawless ever since so guess I can quit worrying about it. I used the original magazine (mec-gar? I think) and two Wilson ETM's that same day and the problem existed with all three intermittently, so something else was at work.

My Stainless II is the 5 inch model, but still had that problem in the first 120 rounds...began to wonder if it was the slide stop itself or if I was somehow putting presure on the slide stop with my left hand somehow during recoil, but it corrected itself and has been flawless ever since so guess I can quit worrying about it. I used the original magazine (mec-gar? I think) and two Wilson ETM's that same day and the problem existed with all three intermittently, so something else was at work.

I had a Stainless Target in 40S&W pre series II,came with Meggar mags,I never not even once had any type of malfunction,I guess thats why I am a little distressed with this one.

Guest Crunchman

I've had my CDP II 3" for a little over 2 years and around 500-600 rounds. I had one FTE and one FTF (feed) on the 2nd or 3rd magazine using 230 gr. FMJ hardball. Never had a failure to return to battery. I cleaned and polished some rough spots on the mag lips (Kimber mag) and haven't had any problems since. I rotate my mags around between the Kimbers, Mec-Gars, Colts, McCormicks, and Springfields with no trouble. I'd bet that the excess on the slide lock was what was causing your problem, though you might want to run your finger along the mag lips to check for burrs. Sometimes a burr can change the angle of the bullet just enough to cause contact with the edge of the slide stop.

Guest IzzyIsaac

It's been so long since I have found any ammo to shoot, I don't remember if i had that problem..JK..the only thing that ever happened to me with my Ultra CDP II, is a FTL while chambering my HydraShok's for carry, but I was girling around with it and let the slide down slowly just to see. I dont know if that counts for a FTL or not.

Guest JHatmaker

I've got Ultra Carry II (Crimson Trace edition), and have never had the issue your having. I've never had a failure to feed/fire etc and have put over 500 rounds through it. I've only used the Kimber magazine that came with it as well as two generic 1911 clips I bought and haven't had any issues with those as well.

Finally took my Kimber CDP and the Taurus 1911 to the range today. Put 100 though them both (speer lawman 230). Only one issue at all and it was with the Taurus during rapid fire, one failure to return to battery and I am pretty sure it was my fault. The Kimber was great, started out a 7 yrds and then 15, left a ragged hole with a couple of flyers during rapid fire. The Taurus surprised me, I would say if it is not as accurate as the kimber it is REAL close. If it holds up, I will consider this firearm to be the best value in 1911s out there.

I ran all my 1911 mags today. 4 Wilson Combat 47Ds, stock kimber, 2 Kimber 8 rounders and the 2 Taurus stock mags, all functioned great.

Now all I need to do is put 300 more down range on the Kimber and I will trust it for carry (finally replace my glocks)