Glock magizines (question)

K191145

Please allow me to ask a completly hypothetical question. Say if some dummy had his extra Glock 21 SF magizine in the console of his red Nissan truck, and spilled half a Coke he got from Sonic on it, just how does he get the floor plate off the bottom of the mag to clean it? Assuming he's tried before by pushing the button in and not being able to slide the floor plate off afraid he would damage it. I just wonder if there's any special trick this hypothetical person could do to get it off.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock mags are notoriously a PITA to disassemble. You need a Glock disassembly tool or some kind of punch to push in the mag retaining plate a good ways, then push in on the sides to release those stops, and then pull on the punch to slide the baseplate off. It gets easier with a little practice, but it still is a PITA.

You could try one of these GTUL kits. Looks pretty cool. Thinking about ordering one myself. ==> GTUL

ETA: I just noticed that GTUL does not have one for the larger Glock 20/21 mags yet. Oh, well. That won't help you much. Still an interesting product.

Edited by Reservoir Dog

I have never had a problem taking the floor plate off a Glock mag. Like one of the previous posters said, stick a punch into the mag(or a I also use a small screw driver) from the bottom, shove it into the release button hole and push it in until you feel the spring retainer plate flip up, or just shove it in all the way...what I do. Them grab the mag in your hand, use your thumb against the front of the mag and take the handle of the punch/screwdriver/glock tool, whatever, and just pull the floor plate forward. It will come right off, no damage, can be done over and over again, I have done it with +2's, Pearce extenders, Scherer extenders, etc. Don't baby it , don't worry, you will not hurt it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a punch that's just the right size and I'll, uhhh my friend will do that now. Since it had sticky Coke all in it I figured it wouldn't hurt it to rinse it out earlier with hot water and dry it with a hair dryer but my friend will take it apart and clean it right.

Guest Grout
I have never had a problem taking the floor plate off a Glock mag. Like one of the previous posters said, stick a punch into the mag(or a I also use a small screw driver) from the bottom, shove it into the release button hole and push it in until you feel the spring retainer plate flip up, or just shove it in all the way...what I do. Them grab the mag in your hand, use your thumb against the front of the mag and take the handle of the punch/screwdriver/glock tool, whatever, and just pull the floor plate forward. It will come right off, no damage, can be done over and over again, I have done it with +2's, Pearce extenders, Scherer extenders, etc. Don't baby it , don't worry, you will not hurt it.

+1.

Guest SMZRU275
First time is real hard in most cases but easier after that. Put the edge on a counter, push in the lock button and push like heck!

Thats what I do, I'll place the punch in, and place the bottom plate against a wooden counter and with good downward pressure on the body of the magthe plate starts to slide up.

I have some aftermarket Glock mags for just for the range, and the bottom plates are just as stubborn to slide off as the OEM.

Good luck.

With a little force it was no problem, I guess I was afraid I would damage the groves in the floor plate but it's some pretty tough plastic. A phillips head screwdriver works well also. I should flatten the tip on a cheap one so not to make any gouges.

An employee at a gun shop (one of our authorized vendors here actually) told me that he puts his Glock in the dishwasher to clean it. I would imagine that you could do the same thing with the mags to clean. :meh:

I'm not that great with taking stuff apart......but I didn't have any trouble at all with my G27 mags when I put Pearce extensions on them. I just stuck a small phillips screwdriver into the lock button hole and pushed it up maybe an inch while I had the floor plate against the edge of my wooden table and pushed.....hard. Not a problem. :up: