Looking for info on Winchester Model 03

I purchased a Winchester Model 03 rifle from an estate auction. It has a three digit serial number and appears to be in brand new condition. The Winchester Model 1903 was the first semiautomatic rifle made by Winchester and was later changed to the Model 03. This was in the early 1900's. I think they reissued the gun in the 1980's.

I have read that Winchester reproduced some of their old rifles and were made by a company in Japan. I am looking for information on the history of this rifle, where it was made, what company made it and the year made. I have learned that this rifle used a 22 Winchester Auto cartridge that is unique to this rifle and I wonder where you could get any ammo. Any help is appreciated.

Winchester_Model_03.jpg

It should be marked. Miroku in Japan would be my guess, assuming it isn’t an original Winchester, and it doesn’t look to be best I can tell.

I was aware they made some model 63s in Japan, but am surprised they’d recreate a rifle like the 03 and chamber it in a now obsolete cartridge. What all is stamped on the barrel and receiver?

Ammo is available online, but I’m not convinced it isn’t a 63 in 22 LR.

Edited by gregintenn

I agree with Greg, that gun looks too new to be an original. Especially the finish on the wood. A Winchester that old should have a a plain or dull wood finish. Not glossy. Of course someone may have refinished it. 🙄

What are the exact markings on the gun? Especially the caliber? 

Edited by Grayfox54

I contacted the Winchester Arms Collector organization. I was told that These model guns were not reproduced in Japan. According to their search of the serial number, it is an original made in 1903 and has probably been refinished and re-blued. This gun does not have a safety, indicating that it is one of the very first guns made in 1903. I have confirmed that it requires Winchester 22 Automatic ammo. 22 Long Rifle ammo will not cycle in the gun. I have compared the markings on the barrel to pictures of other model 1903 and model 03 guns. My gun is marked the same but is in very good condition. The caliber is "Winchester .22 Automatic" as marked on the barrel.

When I was bidding on the gun, I assumed that it was a new condition Japanese gun made around 1990. I was told that Winchester did reissue some of the old guns made by Miroku, but both Winchester and the collector organization said they did not reproduce the Model 03 or the Model 1903.

The Winchester Model 63 is chambered in .22 Long Rifle, but the big difference is that the but plate is flat and not curved like the Model 03 and Model 1903.

The estate that the gun came from contained a number of collectible Winchesters. I am still not sure what I have got, but if I can find some ammo, I will shot it some and then put it away in the safe.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a nice, refinished Winchester. Augilla makes occasional runs of ammo for your rifle. You just have to keep looking until it shows up in stock again. I couldn’t find any in stock online right now.