STILL TrUcK HuNtInG 🥵

STILL! 

I won't say that EVERYTHING has fallen off my list, but ALMOST everything has fallen off my list. Whether that's because of GM's cylinder deactivation junk that has resulted in a lawsuit against them, yet they still insist on using it, or because of quality control issues among the brands, or down-the-road-after-the-warranty transmission issues that I've heard cost over 10k to replace, or engine failures in the 2022 and up Toyota Tundras, or transmission failures (and other components) in the 2024 Toyota Tacomas, or whatever else, most have dropped of my list. Or some because of the absolute STUPID prices. 

For the time being, two remain. The 2023 and older Toyota Tacoma crew cab 4x4 TRD Off Road with the 6 speed manual, or the Toyota 4runner TRD Off Road. 

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, especially from the "Yota Lubbers" on here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Get a F150 with a V8

Ford man at heart here, but I've been worried about quality issues I've been hearing about. Although, I'll say the F150 is not completely off my list. If I could find the right deal, the base model XL crew 4x4 with the 5.0 would be great. 

Failed to mention the Tundra. Good truck. Had an 2004 some years ago. If I could find a reasonable price I'd take one. 

Does anybody have any input on the Tacoma vs the 4runner?

• Admin Team

I had both of those last two TRD off road models.  I loved the Tacoma.  I sold it because they offered me a little less than 5k less than I paid for it new with 60k miles on it.  2016 Tacoma crew cab long bed.  2021 4Runner.

Both were capable trucks.  The Tacoma was really long.  You really needed to back it in to park.  It got better mileage than the 4Runner by a bit.  I should have kept the Tacoma.

The 4Runner was lost in a freak accident when the parking pawl broke at rest when the truck was off and parked.  Even though the parking brake was engaged - it still rolled down a hill and was totaled.

It took a hot minute to resolve that.

I’m in a hybrid Grand Highlander now. 

1 hour ago, res308 said:

Failed to mention the Tundra. Good truck. Had an 2004 some years ago. If I could find a reasonable price I'd take one. 

Does anybody have any input on the Tacoma vs the 4runner?

If you add a 2019 Tundra Crewmax to your list of wants, we should talkimage.thumb.jpeg.f9af518df463d6a5b29894fcdaf9c48b.jpegIMG_7335.thumb.jpg.17b60093db2db841893cc8503535b2ca.jpgIMG_7337.thumb.jpg.47a070c9b883d1c062d839c7506bda03.jpg

• Love 2

oh THAT kind of truck hunting. I'm just glad we don't have to worry about the game warden taking your truck and rifle. I can't imagine buying a newer truck, the prices are crazy. I've considering downsizing though and the 2025 Maverick is going to be available as AWD Hybrid, that peaked my interest.  Since my old ratty F150 is green I'd even go for the new "Eruption Green"

Negatives are the movement of more controls to touchscreen operation and what appears to be the touchscreen located on top of the dash rather than inset.

Finally They Did It! Hybrid And All-Wheel Drive Available Together In Updated 2025 Ford Maverick

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rockmup said:

If you add a 2019 Tundra Crewmax to your list of wants, we should talkimage.thumb.jpeg.f9af518df463d6a5b29894fcdaf9c48b.jpegIMG_7335.thumb.jpg.17b60093db2db841893cc8503535b2ca.jpgIMG_7337.thumb.jpg.47a070c9b883d1c062d839c7506bda03.jpg

Yep. Started out shopping for a Tundra Crew 4x4. Just couldn't find any I could afford. 

Both my wife's '13 4runner sr5 and my '16 Tundra trd pro have been 100% reliable. The 3.5 and 5.7 along with the transmissions behind them may not the latest and greatest,  but they'll be running for many many more years.

I sold my "dream truck" back in 2015 to a member here. I didn't want to sell it but we were trying to get out of debt and so I sold it to pay off some of my wife's student loans. It was a 2003 Tacoma in 2.7 4 cylinder which is almost bullet proof. So 6 years later my wife said I could get my "retirement truck" . So I got the 2022 Tacoma but with 4 doors and the same 2.7 liter 4 cylinder. I like it but the only thing I don't like is the transmission not having a dip-stick. To change the transmission fluid I have to drain the fluid , then "jump" a few contacts under the dash and put it into a "mode" to change the fluid and then check it with it's "check" drain plug. Other than that , its been great. I pull a 10 foot utility trailer hauling a good size zero-turn mower on it every other week to mow my mother-in-laws place. The 2.7 engine is a great engine and has a long track record. These newer turbo models are crap . I know all the hype is great and the horsepower is great but it is NOT a long-life nor long-mileage engine.  The days of the "long life long mileage" engines from Toyota are gone , sad to say. Try to find a 2023 or older Tacoma. 

IMG_8991.jpg

20211224_102932.jpg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2

I don't have experience with TRD Off Road.  My brother has a 2019 TRD Off Road Tacoma and it has been perfect.  It gets really good gas mileage for a truck, but he drives like a Spanish American War veteran.  I've had a Tacoma and two 4Runners.  For the money IMO, the updated 4.0 V6 1GR-FE that has been in the 4Runner for the last 12 or so years is probably the best gas V6 Toyota has ever made.  

I would avoid first and maybe even second year models, Toyota or not.  

I despise turbo, but will admit that the new turbo Tundra troubles don't seem to be turbo-related.  The Tacoma going to turbo is a heartbreaker.  Haven't heard about 2024 Taco transmission troubles, but I'm not surprised.  Turbo + 8 speed seems stupid to get only 2 more MPG.  

Avoid 2016 and 2017 if looking at third gen Tacomas.  

Change your oil every 5000 miles - ignore the 10K interval.  

This guy has a gold mine of Toyota info:

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCarCareNut/videos

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, res308 said:

Had an 2004 some years ago. If I could find a reasonable price I'd take one

At this point you'd be better off buying another First Gen Tundra. Frame rot is about the only thing that can kill them. I still drive my 2002. Toyota quality isn't what it used to be. The 2022-2023 Tundras are all getting new engines under warranty. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

At this point you'd be better off buying another First Gen Tundra. Frame rot is about the only thing that can kill them. I still drive my 2002. Toyota quality isn't what it used to be. The 2022-2023 Tundras are all getting new engines under warranty. 

And spme '24 Tundras from what I'm hearing. Locked up engines after the redesign. I have to wonder what the quality of those new engines will be like. 

Not what I'm used to seeing from Toyota.

The '21 and older Tundras are good as far as I've heard. Dad's 2016 has been trouble free (except for that dang deer!).

I do love the Tundras for sure. I still wish I could find a low mileage, about 2018 and up Tundra I could afford. 

Edited by res308
1 hour ago, res308 said:

And spme '24 Tundras from what I'm hearing. Locked up engines after the redesign. I have to wonder what the quality of those new engines will be like. 

Not what I'm used to seeing from Toyota.

The '21 and older Tundras are good as far as I've heard. Dad's 2016 has been trouble free (except for that dang deer!).

I do love the Tundras for sure. I still wish I could find a low mileage, about 2018 and up Tundra I could afford. 

People are spinning crank bearings and Toyota says the problem is debris left in the engine during manufacturing.  I would think problems would also show up elsewhere in the engine.  Oddly, Toyota supposedly changed the part number of the crank bearings.  Toyota definitely screwed the pooch, but they will apparently make it right. 

Edited by deerslayer
13 hours ago, tercel89 said:

The 2.7 engine is a great engine and has a long track record. These newer turbo models are crap . I know all the hype is great and the horsepower is great but it is NOT a long-life nor long-mileage engine.

I’m not a turbo fan, but I think it’s premature to label the new Taco turbo 4 as junk.  I want no part of one though; somebody else can be the guinea pig.  Your 2.7 is the AK-47 of gas engines.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I’m not a turbo fan, but I think it’s premature to label the new Taco turbo 4 as junk.  I want no part of one though; somebody else can be the guinea pig.  Your 2.7 is the AK-47 of gas engines.  

Yeah I shouldn't have said junk , but I sure don't see them being a 200,000 or more mile engine without having to replace the turbo charger or even other major parts. The more power you get out of a smaller engine , the less the lifetime it seems to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

Yeah I shouldn't have said junk , but I sure don't see them being a 200,000 or more mile engine without having to replace the turbo charger or even other major parts. The more power you get out of a smaller engine , the less the lifetime it seems to have. 

Agreed.  I don’t why Toyota is going down this road, unless EPA lunacy is forcing their hand.  

17 hours ago, papa61 said:

oh THAT kind of truck hunting. I'm just glad we don't have to worry about the game warden taking your truck and rifle. I can't imagine buying a newer truck, the prices are crazy. I've considering downsizing though and the 2025 Maverick is going to be available as AWD Hybrid, that peaked my interest.  Since my old ratty F150 is green I'd even go for the new "Eruption Green"

Negatives are the movement of more controls to touchscreen operation and what appears to be the touchscreen located on top of the dash rather than inset.

Finally They Did It! Hybrid And All-Wheel Drive Available Together In Updated 2025 Ford Maverick

I had a Tacoma in the 90's when they were still small.  Too small.  Sold it cus we had a baby and it was impractical with only 2 doors.  Went with SUVs for a while.  Right before retiring  i got the truck bug really bad, but the used market had jumped and the new prices were crazy. I test drove a Ranger and just didn't like how rough t rode.   I liked the looks of the Maverick.  A fiend has one in a hybrid and he loves his.  I rode in it and it was...ok.  Then I saw a used one at Carmax and test drove it. It was a hybrid too, but I hated it.  The feel of it just didn't feel good to me and it seemed very small inside and the bed seemed small too.  They also had a 2019 Honda Ridgeline on the lot.  I drove it and right away knew this was the one for me. Mine is the RTL-E and has all the bells and whistles.   Drives like a car, handles really well and very smooth riding.  Its way bigger inside than the Maverick and the bed is decent too.  I bought it in November 2023  and still love it. I've added some accessories like a Tonneau cover and made a few mods.  I don't tow, though it has a hitch, nor do i go off road with it, but Im expecting the AWD to do good in the snow when we get some.  Another thing I like is that is has a trunk in the bed that holds a LOT, in addition to the spare tire.  The trunk can also be used for tailgating to put your beverages and ice and it has a drain plug for to drain it.  Not really important to me but it also has bed speakers. The new Maverick looks sportier on the outside, but to me the inside trim still looks cheap, even on the higher trim levels.  Biggest drawback so far to me is the infotainment system seems a little glitchy at times, and it doesnt have that 'truck' look.  Mine is reasonable high up off the ground but still not a chore to climb into. Way higher than the Mavericks though, which I like when driving in traffic as I can see better.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Defender said:

I had a Tacoma in the 90's when they were still small.  Too small.  Sold it cus we had a baby and it was impractical with only 2 doors.  Went with SUVs for a while.  Right before retiring  i got the truck bug really bad, but the used market had jumped and the new prices were crazy. I test drove a Ranger and just didn't like how rough t rode.   I liked the looks of the Maverick.  A fiend has one in a hybrid and he loves his.  I rode in it and it was...ok.  Then I saw a used one at Carmax and test drove it. It was a hybrid too, but I hated it.  The feel of it just didn't feel good to me and it seemed very small inside and the bed seemed small too.  They also had a 2019 Honda Ridgeline on the lot.  I drove it and right away knew this was the one for me. Mine is the RTL-E and has all the bells and whistles.   Drives like a car, handles really well and very smooth riding.  Its way bigger inside than the Maverick and the bed is decent too.  I bought it in November 2023  and still love it. I've added some accessories like a Tonneau cover and made a few mods.  I don't tow, though it has a hitch, nor do i go off road with it, but Im expecting the AWD to do good in the snow when we get some.  Another thing I like is that is has a trunk in the bed that holds a LOT, in addition to the spare tire.  The trunk can also be used for tailgating to put your beverages and ice and it has a drain plug for to drain it.  Not really important to me but it also has bed speakers. The new Maverick looks sportier on the outside, but to me the inside trim still looks cheap, even on the higher trim levels.  Biggest drawback so far to me is the infotainment system seems a little glitchy at times, and it doesnt have that 'truck' look.  Mine is reasonable high up off the ground but still not a chore to climb into. Way higher than the Mavericks though, which I like when driving in traffic as I can see better.

My mother had a Ridgeline and I loved that thing.  The rednecks will make fun of it while they are getting their GM transmissions rebuilt, but the Ridgeline is one of the most practical vehicles made.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

I looked and looked and looked for a truck. What I found was they all blow-up, spontaneously burn to the ground, and break in half. 

Dang, and here I was thinking that was only the Ram trucks!

3 hours ago, Defender said:

I like the Ridgeline a lot myself. But to be fair, if I move to smaller it would be a hybrid. When I actually need a truck, I need the 8 foot bed. Most everything will fit in the back of our Buick TourX so it is rare that I need a truck. Most likely I will get an even older Ford than my current 97 F150. I just prefer the older trucks. 
I see a trend of smaller, turbo engines and it's true, you will not get the long life under hard work. Just a matter of science, smaller builds more heat to produce the torque needed. Adding a turbo just contributes to more heat. We went through the same thing back decades ago going from true truck engines to mid sized car engines. A 4.9 six will outlast a 5.0 V8. Smaller and lighter are the inevitable future with CAFE and emission standards constantly going higher. The only way to avoid it is smaller lighter vehicles. The old Toyota and Datsun trucks were anvils that would last forever given proper maintenence and cleaning. The EARLY Ranger and Mazda were right behind. True, you won't get the ride quality nor the higher interior with small trucks but that's the trade off. I personally think Toyota, Nissan, Ford, GM have all gotten too big for small trucks. but automotive trends to bigger is better until they got over the max. Then you see things like Mustang II, Courier, S10. Cheap stuff to hold market share. If I do get a new small truck, it has to be 4 door so my Dane has a place to ride.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I despise turbo, but will admit that the new turbo Tundra troubles don't seem to be turbo-related.  The Tacoma going to turbo is a heartbreaker.  Haven't heard about 2024 Taco transmission troubles, but I'm not surprised.  Turbo + 8 speed seems stupid to get only 2 more MPG

Even though I own one I am not a fan of turbos either (pun intended) but I believe the 8 speed and 10 speed transmissions are more about keeping the little buggers in their narrow torque band. The more moving parts the more chance of something breaking. My biggest issue with new is the sheer amount of recalls for truly dangerous possible breakages. Toyota's woes are only new to Toyota, we've seen them from everyone else before.

• Like 1