Home Office Chair Vendors

Anybody know a good spot to actually get to sit and test out home office chairs?  I'm talking about some good top end ones, no whatever Staples has out.  I hear good things about the Steelcase ones, but don't want to buy one without feeling it out first hand.  One small quirk...I really dislike the Herman Miller Aeron series.  I know plenty of folks who love them, but i just find them too rigid and too small. 

FWIW, I'm 6'1", 300lbs, so I need something stout.  Thanks for any recommendations.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

In Chattanooga I found an Office Furniture Works. They primarily sell used equipment but are open to anyone willing to pay. They generally are in the business of catering new/used to businesses of any size and end up with a lot of "trade-in" equipment. I picked up a quality HON chair there for like $100.00 but they do have most of the higher end brands.

Nothing is quite guaranteed to be in stock, can generally order anything new, and offer whatever used inventory they have at the time.

I'd say you are in even better luck in Nashville, I was super happy to find such a place in Chattanooga.

Edited by GlockSpock

Just get a Herman Miller Aeron in XL (Size C as they call it) and be done with it. Have you actually sat in a size C? Size B is likely too small. My buddy who is 5'10", about 330lbs practically lives in that chair and has for several years now. Size B would be like trying to stuff 10lbs of #### in a 5lb bag.

Edited by LangdoniousRex
  • Like 1

I have no advice on the chairs at all. 

Just signed in to say that this is what I appreciate this forum for. The off-topic advice on random subjects that don’t pertain to me and would never cross my mind. 

I will always take the advice over TNGO over any other online mainstream echo chamber. IMHO it’s topics like this that makes it feel more like a community than a trading post. 

*inset the “The more you know star going left to right”. 

• Like 2

I’m a big fan of the Steelcase Leap V2 (fully adjustable).  It is the pinnacle of office chairs as far as I’m concerned.  No more backaches, shoulder aches or other weirdness when desk sitting.

Thankfully I didn’t have to pay for the two I have.  They are absurdly expensive.

• Like 2

I'm no help on locations as I bought mine at OfficeDepot. But I went with a Serta rated for fat boys and some days I use it 10 hours and have no complaints. My second favorite chair in the house behind my recliner that everyone seems to want to sit in. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I've got an Aeron size C and it is insanely comfortable compared to the size B.  I'm built like an ogre with a long torso and short(er) legs.  The C fit me way better than the B did.  Plus with it being somewhat wider, I don't snag my gun on the arm rests when I'm carrying and sit or stand.

I've also used the Steelcase Leap V2 in an office setting for 4-5 years and really liked it a lot.  I would have bought one of those for home if the Aeron hadn't actually been cheaper.

• Like 2
On 7/31/2024 at 3:53 PM, MacGyver said:

Have you tried the Back Store over in Green Hills?

They’ve been there forever. 

Hadn't even heard of it.  Will try and stop in this weekend.  Thanks.

On 7/31/2024 at 5:03 PM, Garufa said:

I’m a big fan of the Steelcase Leap V2 (fully adjustable).  It is the pinnacle of office chairs as far as I’m concerned.  No more backaches, shoulder aches or other weirdness when desk sitting.

Thankfully I didn’t have to pay for the two I have.  They are absurdly expensive.

I've heard good things, but I need to sit in one to be sure.  Do you know if they have a brick and mortar distributor locally?

On 8/1/2024 at 4:39 PM, gregintenn said:

Don’t buy one of those X chairs they hawk on the radio. I bought the wife one for a gift, and of course she hates it. It costed a small fortune too.

I've seen the ads, they looked sketch to begin with, and I generally distrust algo pushed ads based on my searches.   Regardless, I won't buy until I can sit in it to see how it feels.

On 7/31/2024 at 4:32 PM, LangdoniousRex said:

Just get a Herman Miller Aeron in XL (Size C as they call it) and be done with it. Have you actually sat in a size C? Size B is likely too small. My buddy who is 5'10", about 330lbs practically lives in that chair and has for several years now. Size B would be like trying to stuff 10lbs of #### in a 5lb bag.

On 8/3/2024 at 10:36 AM, TGO David said:

I've got an Aeron size C and it is insanely comfortable compared to the size B.  I'm built like an ogre with a long torso and short(er) legs.  The C fit me way better than the B did.  Plus with it being somewhat wider, I don't snag my gun on the arm rests when I'm carrying and sit or stand.

I've also used the Steelcase Leap V2 in an office setting for 4-5 years and really liked it a lot.  I would have bought one of those for home if the Aeron hadn't actually been cheaper.

I'll try to get my tuchus into a size C just to feel it out.  Will have to see if the few we have around the office are all B or there's a C in the mix.  But my biggest gripe with the Aeron model is that up-swooped hard plastic on the sides.  I like to spread out some, and have an admittedly bad habit of tucking one leg under the other.  Hard to do with that chunk in the way and digging into my thigh.  The radiologists I work with love them, but I guess when you look at jacked up spines and abdomen/pelvis' galore all day, you have a higher value on sitting properly. 🤣