Case lube?Hornady,Dillion, or Frankford Arsenal?

19 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

I’ve never used any of the wax, always the spray.Just seems faster

You would think, but it's not that slow when you think about it.  I put a magnet on the bottom of the tin, stick it on the riser of the press and I lube when I am putting the case in the shell holder, gets to be second nature and it's pretty fast. And this way, I don't have to worry about one case not getting enough lube with the spray.  The spray isn't bad, it just gets all in the case as well on some of the cases, and there is no consistency on which are lubed internally and which ones are not which can throw off your Standard Deviation (SD).  The liquids with a pad aren't bad either, but you have to keep adding lube and it's hard to notice when the pad has become dry.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Omega said:

You would think, but it's not that slow when you think about it.  I put a magnet on the bottom of the tin, stick it on the riser of the press and I lube when I am putting the case in the shell holder, gets to be second nature and it's pretty fast. And this way, I don't have to worry about one case not getting enough lube with the spray.  The spray isn't bad, it just gets all in the case as well on some of the cases, and there is no consistency on which are lubed internally and which ones are not which can throw off your Standard Deviation (SD).  The liquids with a pad aren't bad either, but you have to keep adding lube and it's hard to notice when the pad has become dry.

I have a Dillion 550 that so far I’ve only loaded handgun rounds on. I got 2 other RCBS presses for rifle rounds ,but in the future I’m gonna load some .223 on the Dillion.Does anyone here load rifle rounds on your Dillion? How do you go about lubing  for it? In large amounts.

Edited by jeff43

I have an orange plastic case with a pad inside. I spray some OneShot on it every once in a while and roll about 1 in 50  pcs of brass onto the pad. The Dillon XL650 and pistol only may be why that works for me. I'm only on my 2nd bottle ever.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

Dad got a RCBS lube pad in one of his estate deals. We looked online for the best/cheapest lube. One guy was using 30W-SAE oil, 90 cents per quart at the time. Still have a bit more than half a bottle. Stab every 15 to 20th case neck into the pad seems to work good. Trimming seems to go faster. All the brass gets tumbled in corn cob media with polish before primming and loading so oil is removed. Have reloaded most of the same 10,000 223 cases per year for the past 12 years without the first stuck case.

Edited by DeepSouth
  • 2 weeks later...

really depends upon what you are using it for. If you are doing precision reloading, case forming, etc, then it's hard to beat imperial sizing wax. If you are doing mass quantities, I prefer a spray. One shot is a sure fire way to getting stuck cases IMHO.  I have moved to lanolin/alcohol mix. You can buy pure lanolin oil on amazon, and 95% alcohol. Mix up 1:10 (lanolin:alcohol) and put in a spray bottle and you are ready to go. Get a cheap plastic tub from dollar store, spray lube over cases, shake around, let alcohol evaporate, and smooth as silk resizing/loading. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve settled on Frankford spray lube for rifle cases.   I use One Shot spray for my pistol cases when loading on a progressive press but I find that I have to use too much of it for rifle cases and it’s relatively expensive.  The Frankford lube migrates better and I don’t have to use as much.  

I use a lot of plastic shoebox style containers to store brass and I dump a couple handfuls on the lid and spray over them. A few minutes and they are ready to load.  

Edited by ken_mays