Olympics

Posted (edited)

I plan to watch men’s and women’s gymnastics, fencing, track and field, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s soccer, and the decathlon. My son’s high school track teammate Harrison Williams (MUS 2014, Stanford 2019) will be competing in the decathlon for the USA.

I’m watching the opening ceremony now.  It’s very artistic, but  nowhere close to as exciting and energetic as Tokyo 2020.

Edited by Links2k

I do enjoy watching the opening ceremonies, even if they have some seriously goofy “entertainment”.

Snoop Dogg jogging in with the world’s biggest doobie is worthy of a medal. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I do enjoy watching the opening ceremonies, even if they have some seriously goofy “entertainment”.

Snoop Dogg jogging in with the world’s biggest doobie is worthy of a medal. 😀

Wow, about that opening, I'm not even religious and am appalled.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • Dislike 1
35 minutes ago, Omega said:

Wow, about that opening, I'm not even religious and am appalled.

Wow, I’m just watching country’s teams floating in boats down the river. 

I also don’t “X”.  I highly recommend that, cause sanity is far more important.

2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Wow, I’m just watching country’s teams floating in boats down the river. 

I also don’t “X”.  I highly recommend that, cause sanity is far more important.

Unfortunately you have to look high and low to get anything resembling the truth because you won't get it from the MSM,  my mental stability will survive it.

23 minutes ago, Omega said:

Unfortunately you have to look high and low to get anything resembling the truth because you won't get it from the MSM,  my mental stability will survive it.

Maybe you should go over to Current Events and Politics and tell us all about the truth of the Olympics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We need to boycott; surfing is being held in French Polynesia.

That reeks of colonialism and imperialism!

The Polynesians deserve to have the shackles of French oppression removed...

They should have the same quality of life and opportunities that freedom gives, just like the previously down trodden and now liberated Vietnamese peoples.

And they need to bring back pistol duelling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_dueling_at_the_Summer_Olympics

• Like 2

These are the events that should be used.

https://www.worldhistory.org/Olympic_Games/

• diaulos - the two stadium lengths foot-race, added in 724 BCE.
  • dolichos - longer foot-races 7 to 20 stadium lengths, added in 720 BCE.
  • wrestling - added in 708 BCE. Competitors had to throw their opponent to the ground three times to gain victory.
  • pentathlon - also added in 708 BCE. All done in a single day, the event order was: jumping (in a soft soil pit using hand-weights or halteres and accompanied to music), discuss (in stone, iron or bronze), stadion, javelin (in wood and thrown using a leather thong), and wrestling. Just how an athlete won the overall event is unclear, three event victories may have guaranteed overall victory.
  • boxing - added in 688 BCE. Athletes wore straps of leather (himantes) around their hands, initially as protection but they evolved into destructive weapons with metal pieces added. Rules were limited to no low-blows and no holding. Serious injuries were common and deaths not unknown.
  • tethrippon - the four-horse chariot race added in 680 BCE, run over ten or twelve circuits of the hippodrome. A version using foals over 8 circuits was added in 384 BCE.
  • keles - a horse race added in 648 BCE and run over 6 cicuits. A version for foals was added in 256 BCE.
  • pankration - a mix of boxing and wrestling also added in 648 BCE. The pankration was a brutal event and the only moves not allowed were biting and gouging, although competitors did not wear the damaging leather thongs of the boxers.
  • hoplitodromos - the race in hoplite armour (helmet, shield and spear) between 2 and 4 stadium lengths was added in 520 BCE and was usually the last event of the Games.
  • apene - a race with chariots pulled by two mules, added in 500 BCE (dropped from 444 BCE).
  • kalpe - a trotting horse race for mares, added in 496 BCE (dropped from 444 BCE).
  • synoris - the two-horse chariot race run over eight circuits of the hippodrome, added in 408 BCE. A version using foals over three circuits was added in 268 BCE.
  • competitions for trumpeters and heralds - added in 396 BCE. This was held on the first day and the winners - those whose sound carried the furthest - were also given the honour of announcing the victors on the final day at the official prize-giving event.

• Like 1

I'd like to see:

500m Service rifle - each country needs to use it's most common service rifle (ie:  M4 for USA and AK-74 for Russia).  Timed, 5 minutes with 60 rounds

50m Service Pistol - Same as above but pistols.  Timed, 5 minutes with 50 rounds

500m Obstacle course with Service Rifle and full basic load, canteens, etc.

750m GPMG - Each country using it's issue General Purpose MG (M240, PKM, MG3, etc)  Group and echelon targets at varying ranges.  Timed, two minutes with 200 rounds.

Biathlon - Combined above top three items!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The only part of the Olympics I have any interest in is the shooting sports. Of course MSM won't cover them because they don't fit the agenda. 🤬 Peacock is actually covering all the shooting events live. But you have to have Peacock to start with and then they come on at like 3:00-4:00 am our time. 🙄

Besides, the Olympic officials castrated many of the shooting sports years ago by changing all the small bore events to air guns. 😡

Oh well, I am rooting for the home team. I send the U.S. Shooting Team a few bucks every year. I hope they bring home a bunch of medals. 😊

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ianb said:

They also changed the modern pentathlon to use laser pistols. 

I had to look that up. WTF? 😲

What equipment is used in the combined event (pistol shooting + cross-country run)?

Laser pistol: A pistol using new technology developed to perfectly replicate an athlete shooting a traditional air pellet pistol while reducing lead pollution from pellets and offering cheaper, more fan-friendly venues.

• Haha 2