Shooting at Trump rally?

Message added by Chucktshoes,

From here on forward, let’s refrain from making denigrating statements like “your TDS is showing.” or “MAGA is a cult!” It doesn’t further any actual conversation or understanding. It only hardens battle lines. Appreciate in advance the cooperation. 

32 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I tried finding the metadata for the publicly available image but it was stripped before publishing. Do not be alarmed, this is very common for photographers to do when exporting from Lightroom/Photoshop. I wouldn't assume that the lack of detailed exposure settings means anything is at food.

So, I'll assume that depending on aperture and ISO the shutter speed (the only thing that matters when it comes to blur) was probably 1/250 to 1/1000. So that means the shutter was open for somewhere between 1/250th of a second all the way down to 1/1000th of a second.

What a 5.56mm velocity? It depends. Lets say 3000fps, that's feet per second. However, we don't have the shutter open for a full second, we have a mere fraction of that.

1/250 = .004

1/1000 =.001

Proportionally, (assuming that the change of the speed of the bullet is constant and does not slow within the first 1/1000th of a second), we have.

1/3000 = .004/x

12' bullet travel at 1/250 shutter speed

1/3000 =.001/x

3' bullet travel at 1/1000 shutter speed

If the shutter speed was half of 1/1000 (it would be 1/2000) you'd have roughly 1.5' of travel. That's approximately what you have in that photo, give or take a foot.

So depending on the details, it is entirely possible that the bullet was captured. Newer cameras, depending on mechanical vs. electronic shutter, can shoot a constant 30fps. I think some of the Sony cameras can do maybe twice that with an electronic shutter.

It's a sunny day, you have lots of sunlight available. Assuming a decently fast aperture or a heightened ISO, I could completely see myself shooting 1/500 to 1/2000 shutter speed. It's the ex-POTUS, so a press photographer likely "sprays and preys" with his camera in hopes of getting a moneymaker.

With my photography background I'm going to claim it is entirely possible he did capture a bullet on that photo. I can setup a GoFundMe if you all want me to test it 😉

Seen where it was 1/8000, 30fps, which is argued back and forth as to the why and why not.

• Moderators
Just now, Omega said:

Seen where it was 1/8000, 30fps, which is argued back and forth as to the why and why not.

If the bullet was 3000fps, a shutter speed of 1/8000 would roughly give you 4.5" worth of bullet travel. But if the bullet was faster it would be a bit more bullet travel. That said, even taking the FPS to 4000fps would only increase your bullet travel by 1/3rd.

That looks like greater than 4.5" of bullet travel based on the size of his head, that's assuming that the path of the bullet is on the same vertical plane as his head. If the bullet is closer to the camera than Trump, then it could very well be 4.5" of bullet travel.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

I also wonder...what is the likelihood of an independent photographer that captured some images at the event and had some of Trump's "reactionary" photos thinking to themselves..."I"m going to make this photo a little bit more interesting and see if I can sell it".

Or...assuming he was shooting for someone and was in contract that they would have the rights to the images, perhaps doctoring the photo purely for fame.

Edited by GlockSpock
2 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

If the bullet was 3000fps, a shutter speed of 1/8000 would roughly give you 4.5" worth of bullet travel. But if the bullet was faster it would be a bit more bullet travel. That said, even taking the FPS to 4000fps would only increase your bullet travel by 1/3rd.

That looks like greater than 4.5" of bullet travel based on the size of his head, that's assuming that the path of the bullet is on the same vertical plane as his head. If the bullet is closer to the camera than Trump, then it could very well be 4.5" of bullet travel.

Not a photographer, so there is that, but how long does bullet trace hang out there?

19 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I also wonder...what is the likelihood of an independent photographer that captured some images at the event and had some of Trump's "reactionary" photos thinking to themselves..."I"m going to make this photo a little bit more interesting and see if I can sell it".

Or...assuming he was shooting for someone and was in contract that they would have the rights to the images, perhaps doctoring the photo purely for fame.

Apparently same guy that took the pic of Bush being told of the 9/11 attack.  things that make you say Hmmm.

25 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

The photographer works for the New York Times and is very well respected. I don't agree with the NYT's political positions, but I do think they're above doctoring photos. The short time profit wouldn't be worth the loss in reputation.

6 minutes ago, Omega said:

Not a photographer, so there is that, but how long does bullet trace hang out there?

I've seen lead-trails in the air from bullets I've fired from handguns when I was pushing the bullets just a little too fast. This is different, of course, but just a bit of moisture in the air can result in something like what happens when vapor forms over the wings of an airplane.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Omega said:

When I was spotting in F-Class, a 308 or 5.56 took forever getting to the 1k mark. I was watching the actual trace not the bullet. That bullet would have been 2450-2600 depending on the load at the 150 yard market. Assuming cheap off the shelf white box ammo. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Omega said:

Apparently same guy that took the pic of Bush being told of the 9/11 attack.  things that make you say Hmmm.

Well, assuming that it’s all pure coincidence that guy has a hell of a portfolio. 

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Holy chit batman, simple math for us dummies' 

Well, frankly that math I posted is something I think is on par with 4th or 5th grade. It’s been a while,  it’s 6th at the latest. 

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 1
Just now, GlockSpock said:

Well, frankly that math I posted is something I think is on par with 4th or 5th grade. It’s been a while,  it’s 6th at the latest. 

That's the reason I'm a production manger and my son is a aerospace engineer.😂

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Omega said:

I have seen pistol bullets (or their “trace”) fired from handguns numerous times and they appear to be several feet long.  It’s usually a .45 shooting into sunlight early and standing near, but not directly behind the shooter.  A 9 or.45 has three or four times the bullet going 1/3 the speed, so it shows up a lot better than a 5.56 would.  No idea how long the image is actually there for the brain to process.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Garufa said:

Why would she even be at the RNC?  Is that a normal posting or protocol for the SS Director?

She alleges that she was there to glad hand the folks that set up convention security.  Somehow the senators got wind of it and set up the ambush.  

For those of you who missed it:

Edited by gun sane
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Some theories about the shutter speed required to capture a bullet in flight as well. Like, why is professional photographer using a high speed setting for a guy standing still at a podium?

With all due respect for @GlockSpock doing the math and lending his photography experience, I would speculate what we saw was not a bullet but ear tissue and blood spatter. The calculations he did make that most likely. I wouldn't think an ear would slow a bullet much. On the other hand, DJT was moving and there is no blur so it may have been high shutter speed. I know you use higher speeds for action shots.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, papa61 said:

With all due respect for @GlockSpock doing the math and lending his photography experience, I would speculate what we saw was not a bullet but ear tissue and blood spatter. The calculations he did make that most likely. I wouldn't think an ear would slow a bullet much. On the other hand, DJT was moving and there is no blur so it may have been high shutter speed. I know you use higher speeds for action shots.

Thats not a bad theory either. 

Things have gotten so weird...AOC had a coherent and logical question in relation to ARs and the Trump assassination attempt for the Secret Service director this morning.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Things have gotten so weird...AOC had a coherent and logical question in relation to ARs and the Trump assassination attempt for the Secret Service director this morning.

#### has definitely gotten very weird

• Like 1
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I have to wonder who told her to say that, because I don't believe she has enough gun sense to know if the range was 600 inches or 600 miles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, BigK said:

I have to wonder who told her to say that, because I don't believe she has enough gun sense to know if the range was 600 inches or 600 miles.

yeah i don't want to give her too much credit. However, it's good to hear her say the AR15 is "one of the most popular semi-automatic weapons in the United States". That's a great admission.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Omega said:

I saw a really good breakdown of the sound graphs taken at the mic on the podium of the shots fired. It showed the point when the bullet broke the sound barrier followed by the report from the rifle. That delay indicated almost exactly a 400 foot shot. Later in the sound graphs was 1 or 2 other shots (I forget which it was), that had a delay indicating the shots were fired from 800 ft away. I wonder if that's the other counter-sniper team we didn't even know was on playing field until now.

I've seen the "human figure on the water tower" images and I don't see what they see, so I haven't heard of any other multiple shooter theories.

16 minutes ago, Omega said:

I had heard or read days ago that a local SWAT guy missed Crooks before the SS sniper dispatched him.  That said, I still hear what I believe are four different guns.  The first three shots sound distinctly different from 4-8, especially on videos taken by those who were close to Crooks.  Shot nine sounds like maybe a suppressed rifle and could be the SWAT miss.  Then several seconds later, the last shot (from SS).  I don’t get off on conspiracy theories, but something doesn’t add up.  I would like an exact count on how much brass was found with Crooks.  That should be very easy to answer.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1