Shooting at Trump rally?

Message added by Chucktshoes,

From here on forward, let’s refrain from making denigrating statements like “your TDS is showing.” or “MAGA is a cult!” It doesn’t further any actual conversation or understanding. It only hardens battle lines. Appreciate in advance the cooperation. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I've stayed out of the last several pages of comments - but I'll say this.

As a lifelong person of faith - it *really* messes you up when by all accounts you should've died and didn't. You won't really be the same ever again. People will say all kinds of stupid stuff - mostly because they care about you and don't know what to say.  

I've always had a bit of a problem with the "God must have spared you" line of reasoning.  I mean, that's fine if that's what you want to believe I guess. But, it's hard to accept when you got to come home one day and 2,977 other people didn't.  Same for Saturday.  Was his life worth more than that fire captain's?  

As a person of faith, I'm willing to hold some space for "who knows?" or "maybe that's not really any concern of mine." Personally what lets me sleep at night is "this world is really broken - and it's being made right and we're closer to the end than the beginning - but we're sure not there yet."

I say all that to say - the former president is probably pretty messed up.  I could make speculations about his faith or lack there of - but I won't.  I'll just say that I expect he finds himself in a place where he doesn't really have a bucket to put what just happened in.  At some point everyone who's been through something like that looks in the same mirror - their head hits the same pillow at night - and that can be a really tough place.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sometimes Satan goes to God and says "Wanna bet if I can make Job turn against you?" and God replies "I'll take that bet". Swallowing that pill and then following it with thinking about the wages of sin and how none of us are deserving of anything but death is how I reconcile tragedy. Someone's life "cut short"? That person didn't deserve that life in the first place.

And although many would take such a sliver's distance from death as a chance to "live and appreciate life in a better way", others may take it that divine intervention saved them and thus greatly entrench themselves in their beliefs/mission. I have a feeling that may be how Trump handles this, interpreting it that he is so important he is invincible and consider himself unstoppable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Sometimes Satan goes to God and says "Wanna bet if I can make Job turn against you?" and God replies "I'll take that bet". Swallowing that pill and then following it with thinking about the wages of sin and how none of us are deserving of anything but death is how I reconcile tragedy. Someone's life "cut short"? That person didn't deserve that life in the first place.

And although many would take such a sliver's distance from death as a chance to "live and appreciate life in a better way", others may take it that divine intervention saved them and thus greatly entrench themselves in their beliefs/mission. I have a feeling that may be how Trump handles this, interpreting it that he is so important he is invincible and consider himself unstoppable.

My prayer is that it puts him into some perspective that he's not untouchable. Maybe even gives him some humility. Honestly, I think it would help his case tremendously.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Trump has been under heavy fire since he stepped on the escalator. He has balls of steel IMO. I hear what MacGyver is saying. But, we're talking about a guy that had the stones to step over the North Korean border by himself. If I'm Trump, I am viewing the near miss for what it was... a near miss. I would be focusing my thoughts on why my security detail allowed a shooter on that roof, and what I need to do to avoid the next time. That's what needs his energy right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a load of this... 

Director of the Secret Service, "That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said.

She needs to be fired RIGHT NOW!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Get a load of this... 

Director of the Secret Service, "That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said.

There is no way she said that….right? 

Those snipers right behind the bleachers didn’t seem to have any problem on a roof with a much steeper pitch than the one the shooter was on.

• Like 1

A lot of folks have been badmouthing Jack Black for the comments his band mate Kyle Gass made about "next time don't miss". As a result, Black has broken off his relationship with Gass and canceled the rest of their tour. 

Black may be a liberal, but he ain't a fool. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tenacious-d-cancel-tour-jack-black-kyle-gass-donald-trump-joke-1235061226/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, 45guy said:

No but I was using my AR pistol. Almost hate to admit it but its true. I had been after that bugger for a month. I think I was to excited that I thought I had him.  No reason in the world to miss that shot. sigh.

As a grown up I tend to be very hard to offend. I like your cousins story better. My ego is still bruised for missing that shot.  

I had a huge one at a place my ex and I had. Could never get a shot at him. The dogs caught and killed it. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
43 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

A lot of folks have been badmouthing Jack Black for the comments his band mate Kyle Gass made about "next time don't miss". As a result, Black has broken off his relationship with Gass and canceled the rest of their tour. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tenacious-d-cancel-tour-jack-black-kyle-gass-donald-trump-joke-1235061226/

It's a financial decision made after the fact, perhaps strongly encouraged by his agent, lawyer, manager, financial advisor, friends, family, etc.

Black lucked out.  He wasn't the idiot who said it, so he gets a little more latitude for damage control than Gass does.

Black certainly didn't seem to denounce the comment on stage, though.

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Those snipers right behind the bleachers didn’t seem to have any problem on a roof with a much steeper pitch than the one the shooter was on.

Yes she did. Never underestimate Joe's ability to make a bad hire. And law enforcement knew of his presence almost 30 minutes before he fired any shots

2 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Yes she did. Never underestimate Joe's ability to make a bad hire. And law enforcement knew of his presence almost 30 minutes before he fired any shots

I watched her say it on ABC a few minutes ago.  It was a pathetic.  And the local police made no attempt to secure the building they occupied.  
I don’t know why drones weren’t covering the buildings too.

• Angry 2
Just now, TennesseeCamper said:

I watched her say it on ABC a few minutes ago.  It was a pathetic.  And the local police made no attempt to secure the building they occupied.  

She'll probably be promoted to Secretary of Defense any day now.

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I’ve always liked JB and Tenacious D.  Never really cared for KG, and his ignorant comment in Australia of all places confirms that he is in fact, a moron.

JB made a very wise decision.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Links2k said:

I don’t gamble either. I lost $100 in Tunica years ago before playing a round of golf.  You would have thought I lost my home.

You had me right up until golf, sorry brother, that's where I draw the line. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

she did, just saw it on the news again

33 minutes ago, TennesseeCamper said:

Uh, because the whole thing was intentional maybe?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been prowling about the internet and I am distressed over (what appears to be to me) the naked wickedness of man.

One group of folks had a burst of joy that someone tried to murder another human being whom they hated.

Another group was satisfied; didn't exactly want another human being murdered, but he sure as heck got his comeuppance.

A few more, down right disappointed that another human being was not murdered or at least, horribly maimed and comatose.

That's a lot of hate and pretty harsh retaliation towards someone you simply don't know, you don't like and you don't trust.

I pray the Lord would touch their hearts and minds so they would wish to seek out Him, his Son and the Spirit.

Lord, before we act or react, please give us your wisdom, the peace of Christ and the words of the Spirit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

One group of folks had a burst of joy that someone tried to murder another human being whom they hated.

People here celebrated when McCain and RBG died. People are way too wrapped up in politics. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

People here celebrated when McCain and RBG died. People are way too wrapped up in politics. 

You're right there. We should pay attention to politics. Maybe we can avoid having a Pepsi chick in charge of the Secret Service. But, we probably need to quit hating. That will be against the wishes of the politicians and the media. Hate drives ratings and campaign contributions. I, for one, am going to quit falling for it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I won't cast stones at people who are disappointed it didn't work.   Not because I agree with them, but because it's too easy to be a hypocrite.   I am not drawing a comparison between Trump and these other people I am going to mention as I like Trump, BUT:

Would any of you renounce the assassination of Hitler, Putin, those of the same ilk?  I doubt it.  Even if you did, I would have a hard time truly believing it.  Some people, even if we think they are wrong, truly believe he is the same as them.

We all have different levels of belief of right and wrong and how it applies to each of us.  I am not religious but don't believe even those that are won't secretly think "that was probably for the best" depending on the exact situation.   Does that make you a bad person, I don't think so, it just makes you human.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It seems to me "glad that old such and such is dead," is not quite the equivalent to, "glad that old such and such got murdered."

Though, some may have a relative of low character who could fit, "well, glad he's dead, he deserved to get shot."

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I’ve always liked JB and Tenacious D.  Never really cared for KG, and his ignorant comment in Australia of all places confirms that he is in fact, a moron.

JB made a very wise decision.

Somebody else mentioned, and I didn’t think about it at first, but these guys were best friends for decades. He threw him under the bus quick to save his own ass.

Effin weak. 

I wish all of you to have better friends in your life than Jack Black. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Get a load of this... 

I'm fine with her getting fired because of this stupid statement, and in general because she hasn't shown the urgency needed to address the shortcoming.  Improper response is worse than the mistake in my book.  She's not making me think there is a basic understanding of the gravity in this situation, just some wagon circling.

But let's not pretend it was her job to do site security that day.  The levels of failure start at whoever left a wide open rooftop like they did and up a few more levels.

• Like 2