Hello all.   I was thinking about purchasing a compensated Shield Plus to replace my current carry.    Is there any concern with the compensated ports getting clogged with lint or debris ?  I guess I'm asking are compensated pistols ok for carry or just range toys.  Thanks

They work, but why do you want one? What are you trying to accomplish that can’t be done with a normal barrel?

I find them to be highly unnecessary. With pistol rounds you really aren't getting much in the way of benefits. 

that said, the counter argument “it’ll mess up your night vision if you shoot it at night” is overblown. 

Can suck while shooting from compression though. 

• Like 2

Comped guns have been around for a long time now but it’s seems comped guns are becoming a new hot-ness for CC again (I know the Roland special is probably coming up on 10 years now). 

From everything I’ve seen/read - totally my personal perception, it’s just for a maybe 5-10% reduction of recoil to deal with. 

Do you have freed up funds to shell out for making a switch just for a 5-10% gain in recoil management? 

it’s a very easy question for me to answer. Juice not worth the squeeze of investing funds, time and ammo to vet a new gun for carry. Not to mention possible reliability issues that may be more prone to pop up. 

My personal, general thoughts for CC proficiency-from concealment

can you repeatedly make a 10yd head shot in 2 seconds or less?

can you run a 7YD bill drill clean in around 2 sec? 

Most people are going to be pretty challenged with those and a comped gun is gonna be very little help,  if any for reaching those standards. Sure, the comped gun will help on the bill drill but only in split times - that’s a good way down the rabbit hole on the list of things needed to get that one done  

It’s all about shot placement anyways. 90%+ of people are far more better off investing in more training/ammo. But that’s not new and shiny. 

That said, I’m all for people doing whatever they want and makes them happy. Just my $0.02. 

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I've tried the comp idea on my MR920, a Glock 43x, and my trusty Smith MP EZ 9 With defensive loads from 124 to147 grains.   

I can barely tell any difference.  These are excellent comps and my hands are 78 plus years old. 

I would simply buy a " non comped " gun.  They are cheaper n easier to conceal.

I'm like several others have opined.  There simply ain't enough gas generated nor velocity to have a very meaningful recoil or muzzle rise reduction.

leroy...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And to answer the question pertaining to anything getting in the comp slots-

It will immediately get expelled upon first firing-

lots of heat and pressure coming out of those slots-

So nothing to worry about on that level-

I've been carrying my compd P365XL for almost a year and I have never once had something "stuck" in the comp slots that has prevented the gun from firing.  Any dust or debris that gets in there is blown out immediately.

In terms of effectiveness PMM touts a 30-40% decrease in muzzle rise, I don't know if I would go that far but it does help the gun settle faster on multi shot strings.  I did not notice any increase in muzzle flash with the comp on, I am sure it is there and if I were to shoot at night I would expect more of an impact to my vision but it is not a giant fireball going through the top of the ports.  I did run this gun through a pistol class a few months ago where we did shoot from compression and I will say it was definitely gassy and not an experience I would seek out, however if necessary it was doable and my face did not melt off or anything crazy.

I carry this one daily. Staccato C 9mm Single Stack that I sent to Monsoon Tactical for their Genghis Comp. It works great for me and I can tell a difference in muzzle size. Butvas others pointed out they're not for everyone, do you have a buddy that has a comped gun like yours or close to it that you could run a few mags with different ammo and see if it's something you want to invest in.20220607_150410.thumb.jpg.eaf22b18261187c6e0e9b9bdc7f02db1.jpg20220607_151849.thumb.jpg.b41f98e3cd01bd26e3f60304c356b1fa.jpg20220607_151931.thumb.jpg.5770c53f50f6c7e926b228314505d99b.jpg20220607_151944.thumb.jpg.be76d07d9bcd4d77e6cd2920b6296bd4.jpg20230527_101529.thumb.jpg.747565270451c2e93f54feee107f4cfa.jpg

I definitely need to try one out.  I usually buy all the bells an whistles for most of my guns (triggers/sights) ,just never shot a compensated pistol before.  I'm nowhere near a good pistol marksman so I need all the help I can get.  I ended up buying another rifle  I didn't need this month from someone at work (DDM4 SLW) but looking for next good deal on another pistol in the future.  Sounds like it'll be fine to carry.  Thanks for all the opinions.

• 4 weeks later...

Biggest difference between defensive use and all other uses is the potential to have to shoot from compression / retention / pectoral index.  Before proceeding further, consider dumping a magazine from such a position and use that to help guide your decision making process.  I would recommend safety glasses over safety squints. 

I’ve played with a couple on carry guns.  They are neat and kinda work, but they are not worth the extra noise they make.  I haven’t shot one from retention (which is a realistic possibility in a defensive scenario), but I doubt I would like it.  

Edited by deerslayer

for strictly carry purposes, I think the concern for something getting in the cut out is of no concern.  The only possible advantage, and I have nothing to base this on but a hunch, is that if someone grabs hold of the gun by the front of the muzzle area, I bet they let go when you fire the gun.  Similar result as cylinder gap effect on revolvers.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the same boat as far as deciding to comp carry or not. Seems to be what’s popular in the industry right now.

I recently purchased a handgun with a comp from the factory after watching all the guntubers praise it for the comp, I’d give it a try. So I Took it to the range to zero my red dot optic and run more rounds down range with my EDC and can honestly say I couldn’t tell the difference with reduction to recoil or muzzle rise VS. My non comp’ed G43X edc. After reading all the comments on this thread I’m leaning more towards not comp’ing my EDC tho I love the aesthetics of comp’ed guns I think the extra money for a comp is better spent with more range time and training. 

Edited by PoonPlatoon909
  • Like 1