A month ago I was shopping at my local Kroger. Got finished in self-check and pushed my card into the reader. My left leg started shaking. I was on the floor for 15 minutes trying to control the shaking without any luck. 2 managers and 2 employees came to my aids as well as they could. One used my phone to call my daughter to come fast. Another called an ambulance. All was good by the ambulance arrived. They loaded me in, checked me out and found nothing wrong so released me when family arrived. 

The next day at dinnertime I left my computer stool to start dinner, my wife is blind and can't help. The tingling started again. By the time I walked to the door 8 ft away I couldn't raise my foot to the first step and my granddaughter helped me to my bed as well as she could. For 20 minutes my left leg was shaking out of control with the rest of my body fighting it, it won that battle. My granddaughter pressed my right foot against her leg and pulled top of foot and heel of left leg. Within seconds it was over. My wife and I take a lot of medical drugs and she thought I might have over or under balance myself by going to a salt free diet. Gave me one of her pills for that. I was able to cook dinner and enjoy the rest of the evening. The next day I made an appointment to see a GP to get service started for the next Tuesday.

A week later my oldest son is headed my way so we can shop together. He texted that he was there and I headed to the front door to left him in. I made 3 steps before the shaking was so bad that I was on the floor. He picked my and we headed for my bed. Granddaughter had both feet as before. Son and grandson were rubbing/pulling on my left leg and my wife was helping me on the right side. Nothing helped for 45 minutes. Felt like an endless battle. It would slow down then start again. He said 5 miles to the hospital and we are heading there now.

He went in for a wheel chair with my driver's license and insurance card and told them I was having chest pains. I was pushed through the door and into an exam room. CT was ordered up right then, As soon as test comes back the doctor on the monitor showed us a mass on the top of the brain right rear. MRI ordered. Within minutes I'm told I have a tumor putting press on my left leg control of the brain. Less than 1/16" movement forward could give me a stroke. I'm placed in ICU for the night. 10:10 that evening my visitor was from the best head doctors group in Memphis. For an hour he showed me all the returns from both test. It needs to come out right now. 

The bad thing is we can't do this in Desoto County, MS. Have to do it in Memphis. He leaves to check on other things for the evening. At 9:20 am he returns with some news. I'm in a Baptist hospital. If I stay I can get a transfer to Memphis Baptist in 4 to 6 weeks. If I go home it could be 8 to 10 weeks. St Franes hospital is 7 to 8 weeks. An hour later he finds out that Methodist hospital is tomorrow morning, 7/11. Have to check out of Baptist asap and get to his office and sign in as new patient. Reading over paper work from him I have restrictions from 4 to 6 months. Must pass test before each is released. Can't bend my head to look up or down for 4 months. Can't walk steps for 4 months. Can't drive for 6 months are the big ones for me. Granddaughter will have to scoop cat litter and change out dog pads since they are in the computer room 3 steps down.

I'm preregistered for a new beginning at 5 am tomorrow, 2 days in ICU and 2 days ICU stepdown.

I'll be back when I can.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

This hits too close to home with me.  I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Those neurosurgeons from Semmes Murphy are top freaking notch.  I am praying for you and your family.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the prayers, They worked.

7/11/24, up at 4 am. At hospital at 5 am. Prep started at 5:45 am. Emergency surgery held my start until 11:50 am. Woke up in recovery at 3:50 pm with giant crappie all around me. Laying on the bed I was able to kick my left leg over my head. Answered all the questions right and was transported to my ICU bed. My transporter reloads 45 ACP so that was a great slow trip. To much light and noise to sleep, room across from nurse's station. 4 monitors would go off loud with every finger movement. Heart rate maintained 52%.
7/12/24 3:40 am transported for MRI and CT. Lot of stuff needs fixed/replaced in my room. I made a list and wanted to see the head bedpan machinic and his boss. I didn't get the offer and left the list taped to the door. 6:40 am the doctor came by. The 14X19X27 CM brick came out almost whole. Want to go home today? Yes. Then show us you can eat your food. Pancake and scrambled eggs were like sand and granola was like gravel. Not enough bites. Lunch was cheap nasty tuna in gravy, ate enough for a release. Home at 3:55pm and a nap. 6:40 pm 90% of a good can of tuna with half a cracker with each bite. Half liter Coke shook 3 times helped. Got help setting laptop in lap at 8: pm.
The space in my head gives me a double echo to all sounds. May never get better or go away. 5 lb weight limit, no lifting or lowering face/head to see, no steps/climbing for 20 days as of now.
Hospitals and doctors don't like sharing time/patient while there. I think stomach is better some. The 2 might have been connected, will see over the next few days.

My wife brought me the filled drug caddy after my dinner (and explained each to me, as if I want to know.) Told her 3 times to slow down for all I heard was mumble. She left saying something, another mumble.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Thank God you got thru the surgery okay & are safely back home. I'm happy for you and your family. Hopefully each day brings improvement and you start to feel better in many ways.

It sounds like the road ahead will be long and require very little movement. That sounds hard. Hopefully you have a TV, some books, and a good laptop or tablet to use to fill the awake hours. We are all praying for you to fully recover. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear that everything so far is going good. Just take your time and go slow, sounds like your on the way to recovery. 

Edited by DJTC45
  • Like 1