Ruger Security 380 first shots.

Will Carry

Since old Author has moved into my shoulders, I had to start wondering about my arm strength.  OK, that was my excuse to purchase the Ruger Security 380.  After finally getting the sights zeroed in, I took it out and ran a few hundred rounds through it. It was so much fun to shoot that I ran a hundred more.  What fun!  I shot at 10 yards and was very impressed with the accuracy, even though the rear sight is black, which I placed a white dot under the slot to make acquisition faster. The front sight is the day-glow green.  The slide racks very easy and even though it is about as big as a Glock 19 it is much lighter, and the grip is smaller. The take down for field stripping is typical Ruger stupid.  If you have a little Ruger pistol you know what I mean. (Not trying to bash Ruger, I'm a big fan).  I have to remind myself that this is a $300 pistol and they had to cut corners somewhere.  You need a small screw driver to pop out the takedown pin.  That doesn't affect the way it shoots though.  

So now I have a 380 the size of a 9mm, with smaller, less powerful rounds that cost twice as much........I be cool with that.  I would recommend this pistol. It will unleash a 15-round barrage of the mighty 9mm Kurz, fast and accurately with minimal recoil. 

Ruger® Security-380® Centerfire Pistol Models

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got one for the wife and she likes it.  Her arm strength isn't great either but the slide action is very manageable.  No grip safety like the S&W EZ, so that's another benefit.  Besides filling her in on all the brand politics, I'm gonna shut up and let her enjoy it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Will Carry said:

Since old Author has moved into my shoulders, I had to start wondering about my arm strength.  OK, that was my excuse to purchase the Ruger Security 380.  After finally getting the sights zeroed in, I took it out and ran a few hundred rounds through it. It was so much fun to shoot that I ran a hundred more.  What fun!  I shot at 10 yards and was very impressed with the accuracy, even though the rear sight is black, which I placed a white dot under the slot to make acquisition faster. The front sight is the day-glow green.  The slide racks very easy and even though it is about as big as a Glock 19 it is much lighter, and the grip is smaller. The take down for field stripping is typical Ruger stupid.  If you have a little Ruger pistol you know what I mean. (Not trying to bash Ruger, I'm a big fan).  I have to remind myself that this is a $300 pistol and they had to cut corners somewhere.  You need a small screw driver to pop out the takedown pin.  That doesn't affect the way it shoots though.  

So now I have a 380 the size of a 9mm, with smaller, less powerful rounds that cost twice as much........I be cool with that.  I would recommend this pistol. It will unleash a 15-round barrage of the mighty 9mm Kurz, fast and accurately with minimal recoil. 

Ruger® Security-380® Centerfire Pistol Models

Glad it works for you.  Your story was entertaining.  Hey, we all get old.