Do y’all have any favorite FFL’s that fair offer trades on firearms ?

Rob Gray

Hello all! I hope it’s okay to post this here. I’m really not trying to spark a sale. With today’s crazy laws I’m a bit paranoid to sell in the private sector. With that, do you guys have any ‘go-to’ ffl’s that offer a fair price? I’m in the Middle Tennessee area. I’m starting to find my way around lol I do have Bullseye and Outpost Armory right around the corner and both said they will purchase or trade, I’m just not sure if one or the other is a thumbs up or down yet. Thanks in advance. 

They can't offer fair value because they have to resell at a profit. As mentioned, they also have overhead to consider. Generally, a FFL might give half of what they gun is actually worth. 

No laws against sales between private citizens in Tennessee. People do it all the time. I would suggest that you and buyer fill out a bill of sale just in the rare case that questions might be asked. 

• Like 1

Trading in a gun = you will get hosed

If you don’t want to deal with selling, maybe try consignment at a local shop.  I have had good luck with consignment over the years.  Some stores have dumb consignment policies - their X% on top of what you want out of it is pretty high and sometimes makes the gun too expensive or your share of the sell too low.  Other shops are pretty reasonable with their share of the sale.  

• Like 2

I have bought and sold many firearms through this group. Actually, selling a pistol is what brought me here.  

Hang around a while, participate in discussions, become a benefactor, and post what you want to sell. 

You will likely find a buyer for whatever you are selling and you will get a lot more than selling to an FFL. If you are worried about the whole private sales thing, you can make a sale through an FFL. That will cost a little more (or take from the sales price) but still likely be better than selling outright to a gun shop. 

• Like 2
On 6/26/2024 at 4:15 PM, gregintenn said:

What laws have you afraid to sell a firearm?

I’m not afraid of the laws, I just don’t want to break one. I have talked to two different local FFLs here locally and have received two different definitions of selling to a private party. I think probably meeting at a FFL and running a background check is the safest option. 

Edited by Rob Gray
Clarification
7 hours ago, Rob Gray said:

I’m not afraid of the laws, I just don’t want to break one. I have talked to two different local FFLs here locally and have received two different definitions of selling to a private party. I think probably meeting at a FFL and running a background check is the safest option. 

The ATF can only suggest a change, they have no authority to make a law that is up to Congresses to pass any laws. Selling to an individual here or anywhere in TN is legal, but you have the right to use an FFL to do the transaction if that is what you specify to sell your gun. I will say that I don't have a problem with doing that but if someone wants me meet then at the FFL then he's going to pay my part in the paperwork and transfer fee that the FFL Dealer charges.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

The ATF can only suggest a change, they have no authority to make a law that is up to Congresses to pass any laws. Selling to an individual here or anywhere in TN is legal, but you have the right to use an FFL to do the transaction if that is what you specify to sell your gun. I will say that I don't have a problem with doing that but if someone wants me meet then at the FFL then he's going to pay my part in the paperwork and transfer fee that the FFL Dealer charges.

When I have sold rifles/shotguns out of state, I usually specify they the buyer is responsible for all FFL related fees.

However, if it was a local in-state transaction, and I was the buyer, I agree it would likely be the opposite (seller pays fees) unless the firearm was a really good deal, or I really wanted it.  

I also recognize that the first time you do a private transaction, it is a little odd feeling. I don’t typically worry with the “private bill of sale”  but I have no problem signing one.  I have used them for handgun and AR sales. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Rob Gray said:

I think probably meeting at a FFL and running a background check is the safest option. 

I may be wrong, but I doubt you'll get a lot of buyers willing to go to an FFL and submit to a background check to buy a used gun. The law doesn't require background checks or bills of sale for a private sale.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Rob Gray said:

Feels like you're overthinking this. First time? Are you offloading a truckload of firearms or something?

There's really not much to it. Meet the buyer in an open, public space during the daytime, ask them for ID to make sure they are a resident. You can even go so far as to ask them if they are legally allowed to own a firearm or say that a bill of sale is a requirement, though a lot of folks will frown at this.

Personally, I just meet up with TGO'ers that have good rep. So far so good.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, BigK said:

I may be wrong, but I doubt you'll get a lot of buyers willing to go to an FFL and submit to a background check to buy a used gun. The law doesn't require background checks or bills of sale for a private sale.

Dead on.

The ONLY reason I think anyone would volunteer for this is if the firearm was exceedingly rare and this was the toll gate to acquiring it. If it's like a glock or something, real unlikely.

• Like 2