Movie Theaters

A couple more reasons I don't go to the theater much anymore. I can't have popcorn due to Diverticulitis and at my age, its hard to sit for 2 hours without needing to pee. Especially if I get a drink. 🥴

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Right now they have 3 Indian movies and "Coming Soon" they have The Never Ending Story, Rear Window and Blazing Saddles. Hey, whatever it takes to stay alive. 😉

Arguably 10x more entertaining than what's coming out of Hollywood these days.  Between the decline of good content, and Netflix snagging up some of the better from what does come out, foreign and old isn't a bad way to be competitive.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
15 hours ago, Links2k said:

I think they should close all of the theaters. New release movies could be released directly to customers at a decent rent or purchase price point, and others wait six months to a year for them to stream. 

While I understand why someone would feel this way, I have to hard disagree. Movies used to be one of the touchstones of American monoculture. The lack of mass cultural commonalities has been supremely harmful for societal cohesion. We are a very large country in population and geography. We need points of commonality if there is any hope of remaining any sort of semi-cohesive entity. They seems insignificant, but all these myriad little points add up to something really important. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

While I understand why someone would feel this way, I have to hard disagree. Movies used to be one of the touchstones of American monoculture. The lack of mass cultural commonalities has been supremely harmful for societal cohesion. We are a very large country in population and geography. We need points of commonality if there is any hope of remaining any sort of semi-cohesive entity. They seems insignificant, but all these myriad little points add up to something really important. 

We used to have sports.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Links2k said:

Does anyone besides young people still regularly attend a movie theater anymore? When my kids were much younger, they attended Central Day School in Collierville, so every Monday I would go to the Collierville theater to watch almost anything. When I walked in, they knew I wanted a large Coke, a hot dog and a small popcorn. I always went to the first showing, so I almost, always had the theater to myself. 

Now days I prefer watching movies at home. I have so many streaming apps that I can wait to see anything new that comes out. The exception may be Costner’s “American Saga.”  I had planned to wait for it to stream, but the other night while watching a recording with my wife, the trailer for American Saga came on and I decided to watch it again instead of fast forwarding like I normally do. Well, the wife saw it and screamed “that looks like it’s going to be good!”  I agreed, then told her about the excitement being generated about the movie.  So, if see wants to go to the theater, we’ll be going to the theater. My out may be that my wife has a short attention span and does one hundred things at once, so she may never mention the movie again. 😂

I’m not big on movie theaters any more, but I won four tickets to any Malco and have been saving them for the Costner movie.  However, we may Uber there so we can enjoy the movie without worrying if our car will still be there when I leave the theater.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
52 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

We used to have sports.  

Many did, yes. It was a lot of small overlapping touchstones that we lose more and more with each passing day. 

it makes me sad. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

You forgot to add poor writing and acting, unless you had that roll up to "crap movies".

they continue to produce fan service garbage with no original idea or plot.

This, summarizes the television and movie industry. There’s no creativity anymore.  When it comes to series, it’s extremely rare to find one with a decent ending. 

8 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I totally wanted to like it. Showed up as a fanboy ready for some fun. It started out great but quickly went down the tubes for me when they introduced the other pilots, the love interest and the rest of the plot.

MAJOR kudos to Cruise for getting Kilmer in the movie though. Classy move.

Again, good points.  I’m a DCS flight sim guy, so I’ll watch almost any with airplanes in it. 

8 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I'm not sure I could get through Oppenheimer a second time. Very well done film however.

Also, by The Matrix series, I will presume you mean 1-3 and not that flaming abomination Resurrection 😄

Resurrection sucked!

3 hours ago, papa61 said:

Haven't enjoyed the theater since I was a kid. Once I got a drivers license and went to the drive in I never (almost) went back. Let's see, put on real clothes, sit in a dark room with people without a cigarette for 2 hours vs watch from my recliner with my dogs on65 inch with sound system. Nope, I can wait a week or two until it is available to stream or on DVD. And actually, the wife and I prefer older movies.

Yep, 80” screen and Bose sound system puts us right in the middle of the action. I have a Butt Kicker on my flight sim chair. The company has an adapter that allows you connect a kicker to your sofa. I’ve thinking about putting one on each corner. 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I’m not big on movie theaters any more, but I won four tickets to any Malco and have been saving them for the Costner movie.  However, we may Uber there so we can enjoy the movie without worrying if our car will still be there when I leave the theater.  

IMO I’m at the point where I wouldn’t be offended if thieves in Shelby County were treated like horse thieves of old. It’s ridiculous what they’re doing, and they’re always so damned young.  It may be better to leave your windows down and your vehicle unlocked. Let them see there’s nothing inside and move along. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Links2k said:

We can’t leave out the John Wick movies. They’re always entertaining, even though sometimes they do too much.  

Um . . . you mean like ALL of the last movie? The axe fight in the club was ridiculously stupid, then the stair climb took it to a whole 'nother level of ridiculousness. It's like they said "let's see just how much of the 'Fast & the Furious' treatment we can give this movie". At least Wick didn't drive his car down the side of a dam, but I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they had him drive up one.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Links2k said:

We can’t leave out the John Wick movies. They’re always entertaining, even though sometimes they do too much.  

Reeves trained with Taran Butler for the Wick movies and Butler said Reeves had legit USPSA Master class shooter skills (which are quite perishable), but the shooting scenes are still silly.  I do appreciate that Reeves has gun skills and doesn’t go around constantly racking the slide and shooting with a teacup grip nailing headshots on the move at 40 yards.  That stuff instantly reduces my interest in a movie.  But I haven’t seen JW 2, 3, or 4.   

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

I can heartily recommend The Bike Riders. Tom Hardy didn’t disappoint. Austin Butler put on quite a performance as well. It is an old school movie without all of today’s political correctness. I remain hopeful Hollywood has seen the light. Jodie Comer was great as well.

Sadly, we were the only two there.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I can heartily recommend The Bike Riders. Tom Hardy didn’t disappoint. Austin Butler put on quite a performance as well. It is an old school movie without all of today’s political correctness. I remain hopeful Hollywood has seen the light. Jodie Comer was great as well.

Sadly, we were the only two there.

I want to see that one.  I like Tom Hardy and wasn’t Austin Butler in Masters of the Air?

3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Reeves trained with Taran Butler for the Wick movies and Butler said Reeves had legit USPSA Master class shooter skills (which are quite perishable), but the shooting scenes are still silly.  I do appreciate that Reeves has gun skills and doesn’t go around constantly racking the slide and shooting with a teacup grip nailing headshots on the move at 40 yards.  That stuff instantly reduces my interest in a movie.  But I haven’t seen JW 2, 3, or 4.   

Wick 2&3 are fine, but as mentioned earlier, Wick4 had a lot of ridiculous and unnecessary scenes. Especially the stairs and the fat man fight. 

1 hour ago, Defender said:

I want to see that one.  I like Tom Hardy and wasn’t Austin Butler in Masters of the Air?

Yes, Butler was in Masters of the Air. He’s a very good young actor. I also enjoyed his performance in Elvis. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Wick 2&3 are fine, but as mentioned earlier, Wick4 had a lot of ridiculous and unnecessary scenes. Especially the stairs and the fat man fight. 

Yes, Butler was in Masters of the Air. He’s a very good young actor. I also enjoyed his performance in Elvis. 

If he pulled off Elvis AND this part, He’s one helluvan actor!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Links2k said:

Part 1 was fantastic. I got nervous in part 2 when they went deeper into the secret society stuff.. and as expected, they took it too far. 3 had good action and that's about it. Didn't watch 4. I'm sure i'll catch it at some point.

I can only take so much Keanu. He seems like a legit nice guy. He's also really good as an action star. Acting though.. not so much. He's fine in the Wick or Matrix flicks because he doesn't have to do a lot of dialogue. He's very stiff and really only excels with broken sentence one-liners. However, he was really good as the voice of Johnny Silverhand in Cyberpunk.

Back on topic. Even if the plot is bad, this is the kind of movie I want to see in theaters. I don't want theaters to go away because i selfishly want Hollywood to get their act together and start making good movies again.

• Like 2

I have not seen it yet, but was told, if you like John Wick, you will love Monkey Man. Same kind of non-stop action.

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare was decent. It started off with a bang, then got slow in the middle, but picked up again at the end.

Die Hart 2 is a steaming pile of garbage.

Unfrosted with Jerry Seinfeld is silly, but I really liked it for some reason.

Last Stop in Yuma County was pretty good.

Ricky Stanicky was pretty funny. Cena does pretty good at comedy. I find his characters annoying, but he plays them well.

• Like 1

When I was a kid growing up in rural Georgia, the local movie theater was a magical place to me.  This was when there were no color TVs, The TV screens were tiny. When you turned the TV on you had to wait a couple of minutes before the picture came up, the vacuum tubes had to warm up. There were only 3 channels to watch.  The "picture show" was the best entertainment there was.  I spent many a Saturday watching Elvis drive fast cars, get in fights, sing and get the girl. How great was that?  Today I still enjoy the "cinema".  I wish they made fresh popcorn today. I also need to take my ear plugs. Somehow they think that if it is really loud people will enjoy it more. 

Spinout Elvis Presley 1966 Movie Poster Masterprint (11 x 17)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

I have not seen it yet, but was told, if you like John Wick, you will love Monkey Man. Same kind of non-stop action.

Monkey Man was a fun ride.

Gonna try to see Bad Boys 4: Still Milking this Old Goat  this week and also Bikeriders.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Will Carry said:

When I was a kid growing up in rural Georgia, the local movie theater was a magical place to me.  This was when there were no color TVs, The TV screens were tiny. When you turned the TV on you had to wait a couple of minutes before the picture came up, the vacuum tubes had to warm up. There were only 3 channels to watch.  The "picture show" was the best entertainment there was.  I spent many a Saturday watching Elvis drive fast cars, get in fights, sing and get the girl. How great was that?  Today I still enjoy the "cinema".  I wish they made fresh popcorn today. I also need to take my ear plugs. Somehow they think that if it is really loud people will enjoy it more. 

Spinout Elvis Presley 1966 Movie Poster Masterprint (11 x 17)

Elvis was definitely the very worst actor ever to stand in front of a camera. In the female category, the award goes to Sondra Locke.