Movie Theaters

I grew up in a small town in Georgia that had one theater.聽 聽I remember the smell of fresh popped corn. I remember that before every movie they showed a cartoon.聽 I loved me some Jerry Lewis movies and John Wayne westerns.聽 My favorite was Elvis movies!聽 He drove fast cars, got into fist fights, sang some rock and roll and kissed the girls! What's not to like? I was six years old and didn't really understand why colored folks got to sit in the balcony and we couldn't. They had an entrance on the side of the theater and had their own restrooms and candy machines. They were not allowed in the lobby but the man selling the popcorn would take their order and bring popcorn a Cokes to them.聽

This is the Conyers theater as it looked back then.聽 It has been condemned and will be torn down soon.聽 I will always remember it as it was, 25cents for admission, a nickel for a candy bar, 10cents for a Coke and fresh popcorned popped in front of you.聽

Pin page

Edited by Will Carry

Growing up mid TN, I miss the old .50 theater in rivergate or the $1.25 in Madison. As young fellas, we used to stock up on gas station snacks and smuggle them in for a real cheap hangout watching stupid movies. Hardly anyone was there, so we could yell at the screen. Even terrible movies were fun.

I miss the one in Rivergate too, right there on the corner of Gallatin Rd and OHB, though it was $1.50 by my time . . . 馃槈

I saw Despicable Me 4 today. Fun movie. Not as good as the others, but enjoyable and a good nonstop story line. The minions, as always, steal the show. 馃槃