Movie Theaters

On 6/26/2024 at 1:51 PM, TGO David said:

JW4 was hard to watch.聽 I've never seen so many dudes get shot in the dick before.聽 馃槃

Here's one more dick shot worth watching. The good stuff starts at 9:25.聽 馃槃

We saw Horizon today. It is worth watching, but I wouldn鈥檛 call it a great western. I鈥檒l definitely go see the second part though. It is long, and there鈥檚 a lot to keep track of. The story line is fair. The cinematography is good and so is the acting. I鈥檇 give it a 7 out of 10.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

We saw Horizon today. It is worth watching, but I wouldn鈥檛 call it a great western. I鈥檒l definitely go see the second part though. It is long, and there鈥檚 a lot to keep track of. The story line is fair. The cinematography is good and so is the acting. I鈥檇 give it a 7 out of 10.

I've got 115 John Wayne movies downloaded. I'm good. 99.8% of modern movies are trash.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2024 at 10:38 PM, gregintenn said:

Saw it last night - 7/10 here too. 聽The theater was pretty full of mostly older folks (younger people don't like westerns?). 聽The guy next to me was griping about his popcorn, griping about the temperature (the theater was definitely not cool), and at the end said, "Well that was a waste of three hours." 聽People need to keep in mind that it's chapter 1 of 4 - there are three stories developing, rather slowly I might add. 聽A half hour could have easily been trimmed. 聽The acting was superb (especially the two brothers and the crazy blond) and the scenery was spectacular. 聽If you are the type that likes non-stop action, you will hate this movie, but I plan to see chapter 2.

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

One other thing - it is rated R, but it didn't seem as R-rated as most modern R movies. 聽Some brief barely nudity and not as much language. 聽I don't recall any F-bombs. 聽

Edited by deerslayer

A Quiet Place: Day One is good. I watched it today at the AMC Dolby in Cool Springs. The Dolby Atmos sound system is outstanding and for a movie all about sounds, it was an added boost to the film. It's the opposite of Horizon at just over 90 minutes (2 hours with previews).

I plan to see The Bikeriders this week and maybe Horizon if I can fit it in the schedule. 3.5 hours with previews is a long time.

19 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

A Quiet Place: Day One is good. I watched it today at the AMC Dolby in Cool Springs. The Dolby Atmos sound system is outstanding and for a movie all about sounds, it was an added boost to the film. It's the opposite of Horizon at just over 90 minutes (2 hours with previews).

I plan to see The Bikeriders this week and maybe Horizon if I can fit it in the schedule. 3.5 hours with previews is a long time.

Not sure if it was just the theater where we were, but Horizon had two quick previews that lasted 6-8 minutes total. 聽

My wife and I went to an early showing of Horizon this morning, and we both enjoyed it. There was quite a lot of violence, but it wasn't as bloody as a lot of movies I've seen. A lot less profanity than what passes for normal these days. I'm looking forward to seeing part 2 now.聽

Generally, I get tired if a movie runs for more than two hours, and Horizon ran for about three, but I never got bored and the time passed pretty quickly.

It's too bad the nearest theater is about an hour away in Oak Ridge, but at least that theater is clean and has reclining lounger seats. And the matinee tickets are under $7.00/

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Well, chit! I'll forget what I saw in the first part.

$100,000,000 to make it and the opening weekend was $11,000,000. That's brutal. Unless it catches up on streaming, you may just have to forget everything you saw regardless, because there won't be a second one.

9 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

$100,000,000 to make it and the opening weekend was $11,000,000. That's brutal. Unless it catches up on streaming, you may just have to forget everything you saw regardless, because there won't be a second one.

I expect the second one is already finished, but I've been wrong before. How on earth would it cost a hundred million dollars to make a western movie? Was the government in charge of it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
37 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I expect the second one is already finished, but I've been wrong before. How on earth would it cost a hundred million dollars to make a western movie? Was the government in charge of it?

From my understanding, most of the movie costs these days are from the unions and special interest groups.

• Like 2

Kostner is well known for making overly expensive and overly long movies that flop. Remember Waterworld and The Postman? Nether was a particularly bad movie, but word got out that they were too long and the story dragged. So they flopped at the theater. People just don't want to pay good money to sit in a theater for 3 hours for a slow story. That's why I've already decided to wait for Horizon to get to streaming.聽馃檮

I have nothing better to do, so I already bought tickets for the Sat. afternoon showing of Horizon. I'll be in a leather'ish electric recliner with a belly full of popcorn and soda, so if I fall asleep it'll be a comfy, albeit expensive, nap. LOL

• Like 1

Honestly I liked water world. Horizon is probably good too. The trouble for me watching 3 hours of movie, getting invested and then it never gets finished 馃檪

You're not getting me! I learned from George RR Martins writing!

Horizon is good. I definitely was interested in seeing how it develops . . . oh well. My theater had the full 30 minutes of previews so 3.5 hours . . . yeesh. I picked a hot day and went to a 1:00p showing or something when I would have been staying indoors anyway so that worked out. 馃檪

I also liked The Postman. Water World was meh.

• Like 2

I liked Horizon.I sat the entire 3 hrs plus previews without going to the restroom,a major accomplishment for my 60 yr old bladder. I had a feeling part 2 wouldn鈥檛 be shown in the theater.I had no idea they had planned a 3rd and 4th installment.It should have been a HBO miniseries.Back to the original post I鈥榲e been a movie goer since I could drive.Since Covid I have probably been 4 times.There鈥檚 just nothing I want to see coming to the big screen. I don鈥檛 have a streaming service so I鈥檓 missing some good stuff there.