Courtney Johnston - 5th Congrtional District

Courtney Johnston is challenging Andy Ogles – 5th Congressional District

Has anyone spoken with or heard her speak on Second Amendment issues?  I know she wrote an open letter to Gov, Lee and I have seen statements she has made where she has used the good ole “I support the Second Amendment, but…” line.  I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to get a better idea of where she actually stands.  She is a council member in Nashville, so one could maybe hope that she is just playing the game, but she could have just kept her mouth shut / pen down, if that was the case.

She has done a damn good job as council person in Nashville (but that is comparing it to other Nashville council members).

She is calling out Andy Ogles as being a “do nothing Republican” but from what I have seen, at least he seems to has a good record when it comes to the Second Amendment.

Does anyone have any information, opinion on either of these candidates?

15 minutes ago, Whisper said:

"I support the Second Amendment, but"... is usually code for "I'm a grabber."  But I admit I know nothing about her.

I'm with you.  I'm at the point that I would rather vote for a "do nothing grand stander" than someone who wasn't a true supporter of the constitution.  That is assuming that is accurate.  Actually, Do Nothing sound pretty damn good.

• Like 1

OK, I've done a little bit of looking on her.

She was one of those calling on Gov. Lee to hold his laughable "special session" on gun violence in 2022.

Here's a fine quote from her:

"It shouldn't require more education and licensure to drive a vehicle that was designed for transportation than to get a gun that was designed for the sole purpose of killing."

And this:

"We've reached a place where nowhere is safe."

More info here -- Nashville Councilmember Courtney Johnston wants special session on guns - Axios Nashville

She wouldn't be getting my vote, unless her only opponent was Hillary Clinton.  🙂

Cheers,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper
  • Like 4
21 minutes ago, Whisper said:

shouldn't require more education and licenses to drive a vehicle

I saw these as these as well.  Even if she said something different at this point, I believe her past actions speak volumes.  She didn't even just say it to a group of leftists, she wrote an open letter and distributed it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Pain103 said:

A Nashville republican didn't think that existed outside of Joelton.

A Nashville Republican is about as real as a vegan T-bone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, BigK said:

A Nashville Republican is about as real as a vegan T-bone.

She is not my district, but as is often the case, we’re faced with voting for weak republicans or  democrats.  Very often, I vote for republicans when I’d rather vote for someone else, but there aren’t other choices.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

She's a reliable conservative - mind you that's probably not enough for most people these days.

That said - she's in a district with someone who absolutely should be vulnerable.  Incumbent advantage makes it more or less a toss up - advantage still goes to Ogles.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m so tired of voting for republicans because they’re the lesser of the two evils.  I made the mistake once of voting for an independent (Ross Perot) which got Bill Clinton elected, and I’ll never vote for a Democrat, but Lordy, is it too much to ask to get a truly conservative GOP who will follow through?  Bill Lee sure suckered us in his first campaign and we had no real choice the 2nd.  

• Like 2
On 6/24/2024 at 11:38 AM, MacGyver said:

She's a reliable conservative - mind you that's probably not enough for most people these days.

That said - she's in a district with someone who absolutely should be vulnerable.  Incumbent advantage makes it more or less a toss up - advantage still goes to Ogles.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Suzanna Hupp
Is Speaker Sexton a reliable Conservative, how about Governor Bill Lee?

• Like 3
  • Admin Team
3 hours ago, Worriedman said:

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Suzanna Hupp
Is Speaker Sexton a reliable Conservative, how about Governor Bill Lee?

Oh, I'm not really someone you'd want making judgements on any of that.

All I'll saying is that I've seen her work.   She took the seat she's in on the council from someone she thought was dismissive of her concerns.  She ran on spite - and beat him by putting in the work.  So, whether you like her or not - I'm just saying I wouldn't be dismissive of her.

I remember a former Speaker of the House, Beth Harwell, who claimed the mantle of Conservative and never once voted in favor of a 2nd Amendment piece of legislation.  She supported the Democrat Governor when he vetoed the Guns in Bars Bill, she voted twice on the floor two years in a row against it and voted then to sustain his veto two years in a row.

Makes me leery of those who toss that modifier about.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual...

And this is why I will not be voting for her. I think she is fairly solid on most things especially compared to most options, But! I have little doubt that she will cave on standing for the Second Amendment and that tells what she really thinks of all of us.

15 hours ago, DHF said:

And this is why I will not be voting for her. I think she is fairly solid on most things especially compared to most options, But! I have little doubt that she will cave on standing for the Second Amendment and that tells what she really thinks of all of us.

Agreed.  If she's a grabber, that's a reliable presentation of her world view.

Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?, L. Neil Smith of The Libertarian Enterprise (survivalblog.com)

When people show you that they're your enemy, believe it.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 4

She supported The Governor's special Session for Red Flag laws, that is enough right there.

I can remember when Ogles was head of AFP in 2016 and Brian Kelsey then Chair of Senate Judiciary told me he was voting against Constitutional Carry, Ogles threatened to cut him off from AFP if he did not support the bill, of course Kelsey forced Stevens to vote against it to kill the bill, but is shows that Ogles is a real 2A supporter. 

• Like 1