Ruger Marlin 1895 Trapper 45 70

I was all set and ready to buy the SBL model. truth be told the shiny polish and rail on the SBL was what made me decide to get the trapper.

I will have this when I get home. I am looking for ammo suggestions, I have wanted a 45 70 for many years... I am looking forward to this!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, willis68 said:

I was all set and ready to buy the SBL model. truth be told the shiny polish and rail on the SBL was what made me decide to get the trapper.

I will have this when I get home. I am looking for ammo suggestions, I have wanted a 45 70 for many years... I am looking forward to this!!

Reckon you should get some reloading gear with the rest of us heathens? .458 SOCOM is what got me started. It was 3 bucks per round back 8-10 years ago. I learned to appreciate the word Limbsaver too, BTW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Reckon you should get some reloading gear with the rest of us heathens? .458 SOCOM is what got me started. It was 3 bucks per round back 8-10 years ago. I learned to appreciate the word Limbsaver too, BTW.

I am, looking to get a Dillon precision setup in the next few months 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

All of mine shoot everything decent but Hornady Leverevolution 325gr FTX is a solid round overall. 

Winchester 300gr JHP does well also. 

Hornady 410gr Sub-X works best for suppressed. 

I have 500gr Hardcast and I highly recommend it if you hate your shoulder or need to shoot through your neighbors refrigerator from the driveway. 

I'm an ammo hoarder and buy when I see any at a decent price. Also have supplies to reload more than I'll ever shoot. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I love mine. You gonna put a can on it?

Most Definitely, the can I get for it will work on a lot of my guns

Edited by willis68

Nice looking rifle.  At 7.1 lbs, if you plan on extended shooting of the 45-70 you might enjoy a pad for the shoulder.  I have two rifles chambered in this and both are considerably heavier and if I am shooting them a lot, I like having a pad.  

Of course, at my age, the joints are not as forgiving as they were at 30.  😉

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, 45 70 is for real, lol I can see why this caliber can take a dionasaur down, defintatly a big boy caliber. Shooting full load 44 magnum from my Anaconda seems mild compared to the 47 70, but I absolutely love it and will at least get one more of the new Marlins in this caliber 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, willis68 said:

WOW, 45 70 is for real, lol I can see why this caliber can take a dionasaur down, defintatly a big boy caliber. Shooting full load 44 magnum from my Anaconda seems mild compared to the 47 70, but I absolutely love it and will at least get one more of the new Marlins in this caliber 

Told you. I haven't stopped at 12. Lol

• Like 1

Get some Garrett Hammerheads. You know just to say you did. I shoot the 325grn ftx through mine no complaints. 

It’s the top one, kinda had to make my own before all these trappers came out. Im a pretty big fan of those scout scope setups for this type of gun. 

IMG_1285.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

What are you using this rifle for, or is it just because I wanted too? "Big Boomer"

Just wanted it, I shoot targets and just love to shoot

and if a Trex ever threatens my farm animals, I can take it out LOL

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

What are you using this rifle for, or is it just because I wanted too? "Big Boomer"

is there another reason to buy a lever gun, then "because I want it"?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

is there another reason to buy a lever gun, then "because I want it"?

Well the main reason to buy a,,,,, oh look, there's a lever gun, I have 3 just like it, well 4 is the magic number today. Thank goodness I was here to save it. 

• Like 3
On 7/20/2024 at 12:56 PM, TripleGGG said:

Well the main reason to buy a,,,,, oh look, there's a lever gun, I have 3 just like it, well 4 is the magic number today. Thank goodness I was here to save it. 

Once you hit a dozen, you get a glow-in-the-dark signal ring and a cool hat......................

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Once you hit a dozen, you get a glow-in-the-dark signal ring and a cool hat......................

I have several rings and cool hats then. Lol

• Haha 1