Rohrbaugh R9s...on the way from the land of maple syrup.

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

I've been looking for a "pocket rocket" for about a month now, and couldn't decide b/t a .380 or going a bit larger and getting a 9mm. The models I considered where the North American Arms Guardian (NAA) in .380, the new Micro Eagle .380, and the Rohrbaugh (either R380/.380 or R9s/9mm). Now I do realized that I could buy 2 Guardians plus ammo and a holster for the price of a new Rohrbaugh, but there was something about the R9 that I kept coming back to. For one it's the smallest 9mm you can buy, and the quality and fit and finish are outstanding; but I just couldn't justify spending that much on such a small gun.

Fortunately I found a gentleman in Vermont who collects them and is getting one of their newer versions, and decided to sell this one of the cheap, so I had to bite. Hopefully it'll be here by early next week, and I'll take some pictures. Whoop!

While I've not shot any of these 3 guns, I've handled them all, and certain things just jumped out at me on each one:

NAA Guardian: (+) Great price for what you get ($450-480); (+) Seems like it was built well; (-) .380 is getting hard to find, and expensive when you do; (-) If you grip the gun in a hurry and your hand is high up on the grip, your palm is getting sliced by the frame.

Micro Eagle: (+) Good build quality and have owned other Magnum Reaseach products; (+) Has been getting great reviews recently by several of the Gun Rags; (-) The trigger pull was awful, seemed like I pulled it for a mile before it clicked; (-) Not a lot of holster options yet due to it's unique styling

Rohrbaugh R9s: (+) Excellent build quality/materials, seems like each one is custome made for you; (+) Usable sights; (+) Shoots 9mm (cheap), and is the smallest 9mm you can buy (same size as the Guardian); (+) Great trigger pull; (+) Rare if you are into collecting hard to find guns; (-!!) Price

After I get it I'll take it to the range and post a range report for those interested.

PS - I've posted a similar thread on USGO, so I apologize if this is second time you're seeing this.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker
Did you order extra recoil springs for the Rohrbaugh?

(change every 150 rounds, isn't it?)

- OS

The guy I'm buying it from is giving me an extra set.

Guest JHatmaker
Mind mentioning about how much you're getting the Rohrbaugh for? I need a reason to hate my life tonight :bow:

Under $900 shipped (inc. FFL) So it's still not cheap, but that's the cheapest I could find one anywhere for a LNIB "s" model.

Franklin Gun Shop had a standard R9 a couple weeks ago and were asking $1300-ish if I'm not mistaken. They've got a .380 version that's about $50 less.

Guest JHatmaker
From what I've read about holding onto that hot little sucker, you might never shoot enough to need it! :bow:

- OS

Yep, it certainly won't get much range time for that very reason.

Guest JHatmaker
Great video. Pretty impressive shooting at 25 yards. When it comes in, we need to go shooting. We can compare the R9 and PM9 side by side.

You got a deal!

Guest JHatmaker

Just got back from the range, it's very accurate. Had nice grouping at 5 and 10 yrds. Didn't try 15 yrds as I hope to never need to shoot someone with this gun from that distance (actually I hope to never shoot anyone from 5 or 10 yrds unless necessary).

Only had a couple "failure to feeds", probably due to the Monarch 9mm I was using, and the fact that it hadn't been shot that many times before. After about 50 rounds it was smooth everytime. The only gripe I have, and it's not really a big issue, is that after about 40-50 rounds my hand started to hurt. This little thing has some kick to it...

Overall I've very happy w/ the performance (wish I could say the same for the Micro Eagle I just got, one trip to the range and it's already on it's way back to the factory....)