ATF Knocking

Just read an article, in the Dillion Blue Press magazine/catalog. Do you know what to say or how to react if ATF showed up at your front door. This lawyer from Arizona, within the discussion, says it happens more than most people think. Would you know how to respond? I wouldn't. 

He gives 2 things to remember, after you have checked out the persons/agent's credentials and not just look at his or her badge. Make them show you their credentials. Then remember you have a right to not answer any questions, "Period", and most defiantly you should not. Then you do not have to agree to an on-property search of your house without a valid search warrant. He also advised to not allow them into your house at all and just close the door. Etiquette is not required nor being rude doesn't count either. Simply close the door. He says one must remember they are not there for a joyous evening tea or to just to chew the fat, so to speak. If they are on your front porch then they are on business, and by answering questions or allowing a search, without a valid search warrant, you will most likely end up only hurting yourself.

Sounds good to me. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Just remember lying to a federal government official is a federal crime that can receive up to 5 years in prison. Not giving advice here but if I had a fed do a knock and talk, as soon as they identified themselves, I would say I have nothing to say please leave my property and close the door. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

Just remember lying to a federal government official is a federal crime that can receive up to 5 years in prison. Not giving advice here but if I had a fed do a knock and talk, as soon as they identified themselves, I would say I have nothing to say please leave my property and close the door. 

Refer to Step 1

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Peepholes and Ring cameras exist for a reason. You are under no obligation to answer the door at all. 

“We just want to talk.”

”You can talk to each other.”

• Like 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Unfortunately I have a C&R license. That means ATF can come right in any time they want. 🙄

NOT TRUE!  They can ask to come see your records or specific firearms.  You have the option of going to their office or having them come to your home.  Go to their office!!!

Also, if you have a C&R license, do not renew at the end of the three years.  Let it expire and then re-apply.  You'll only lose a couple of weeks of use of the license.  But, it means that you can destroy your previous records.

Rules for '01' FFLs do not necessarily apply to '03' C&R licensees.

• Like 5
Posted (edited)

A buddy is in law enforcement and he does this 

1: 90-95% of the time he knows the answer before he asks the question. 

2: If you lie to him, he's not going to cut you any slack. 

3: If you're honest with him, you're getting the minimum he can hit you with. 

4: He's shocked at how many people talk to him. He doesn't like it when people don't talk, but he respects them. He'll admit its the only way you're going to get away with it. You're going to have few bad days going to court though. 

5: Facebook is outstanding for evidence. There are some guys that picked up a few felonies because of Facebook. For the love of God....don't accept a friend request from someone you don't know and discuss illegal activities with them. 

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 1