.22 LR Pistol Recommendations

6 hours ago, btq96r said:

Good aside to my search, but I have a GSG 522, so I'm good on a .22 rifle equivalent.  I looked at the M&P option back when buying the GSG and thought it solid, but wanted something different from an AR at the time.  That said, I've noticed the GSG is a little picky about what ammo it will cycle, so I may switch or upgrade someday.  It would likely come down to the M&P and a Ruger 10/22 for that decision.

In my humble opinion, everybody needs a 10/22. Out of all my 22's, it's my goto.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Every gunowner should own at least one 10/22 @btq96r, just saying 🙂 

15 hours ago, mikegideon said:

In my humble opinion, everybody needs a 10/22. Out of all my 22's, it's my goto.

I know.  I'm slacking on something that might be one of the most essential firearms to own.

One day an old boss and I were talking guns and which one would be the most useful in a classic SHTF, breakdown of society and services scenario.  We came down on a 10/22 being that gun for a whole host of reasons.  Plentiful ammo (back when you could buy by the bucket easily and cheap), perfect for small game hunting, and at the top of reliability.

• Like 2

I know this is a whole other discussion, but for a SHTF situation I dont think I'd want a semiauto.

Youre screwed if you lose the mag

Revolver for handgun, maybe a lever for a rifle. My opinion only.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tom B said:

I know this is a whole other discussion, but for a SHTF situation I dont think I'd want a semiauto.

Youre screwed if you lose the mag

Revolver for handgun, maybe a lever for a rifle. My opinion only.

For a SHTF situation, my 22's are staying in the safe. And everything semi auto. THE mag? Don't ever buy one of anything. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting my Colt New Frontier since I bought it new in the 70s. My only complaint is that my Western gunbelt seems to have shortened considerably. 

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, ianb said:

I've been shooting my Colt New Frontier since I bought it new in the 70s. My only complaint is that my Western gunbelt seems to have shortened considerably. 

I think that’s happened to a lot of us! 😆

On 6/4/2024 at 1:38 PM, btq96r said:

Thinking of buying a new gun for the first time in a long time.  One option is a .22 LR pistol, which I think will be just fun, and pretty useful in a bunch of situations.  Anyone want to plug their favorite make and model?  M&P22 by S&W, and Walther P22 are my leading contenders, but quite open to the gestalt if different.

One thing to consider, this isn't going to be some heavy use, competition gun, so I don't need top end/top buck.  Some fun and plinking are my main ideas for this gun, figure throw it in the range bag whenever I go shoot something else just to enjoy.

What did you end up doing?

• Like 1

I agree with the previous posts about the Browning Buckmark, I like the Camper model. Sem-auto .22s can be quite finicky regarding ammo, One brand of ammo be reliable, and another will be terrible. 

And that's why my top recommendation would be a Ruger Single Six or the less expensive Ruger Wrangler.  When it comes to reliability, you can not beat a revolver.

6 hours ago, btq96r said:

Still deciding. 🤣

Look at it this way. There is no such thing as the perfect handgun. It depends on what you like and what you can afford. Anything that shoots is 100% better than a stick. 

Good suggestions here. Any would do

I will throw my vote in with the Ruger Mark series crowd. Hard to beat overall. Lots of options in that family. Known to be reliable...(as .22lr is...).

• Like 2