.22 LR Pistol Recommendations

Posted (edited)

I know there's another thread on this topic where I posted but my Googlefu is weak this morning...

ETA Found it, I think: https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/130127-new-tooltoy/#comment-1713754

I have a Taurus 22 compact that I run a Holosun 407 on, had it since July 2023 . I stopped counting rounds somewhere around 5K and probably have between 7-10 K through it at this point.

I bring it to the range a couple of times a week and plan to shoot it later today.

There have been several "ammo failure to ignite", but it was old questionable .22 RF ammo and happens with any gun...bad RF ammo is bad RF ammo. I've still had the one failure to feed I've mentioned before and that was with Federal Punch. Caleb Giddings warned of that particular ammo in this particular series having difficulty feeding because of the blunt tip/nose. I've run a lot of Mini-mags and Stingers with 100% reliability. Plus lots of bulk Remington, Federal, and multiple other vendor's ammo with no problems.

An added plus from my viewpoint if the TX .22 compact fits my Dale Fricke holsters for my Glocks.

I remain pleasantly surprised and quite happy with my little bargain .22 pistol.

iwpnfKi.jpg

ETA: rereading the linked thread it looks like I had 2 failures to feed...didn't mean to mislead...

Edited by Jamie Jackson
additional info
  • Like 3

I grabbed a TX22 when they first came out years ago......what a great little gun. I have large hands and the grip fits very well. It is accurate and a fun plinker for just a few Benjamins.

• Like 3

Thanks for the recommendations, all.  I knew I'd get solid recommendations to consider.  Lots of love for the Taurus', though I can see why.   I'll have to whittle down the plethora of TX22 offerings to one I like.

Then I'll have to make a choice between a .22LR handgun, or a CZ Scorpion 3+.  Tough life for me, folks. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, btq96r said:

Thanks for the recommendations, all.  I knew I'd get solid recommendations to consider.  Lots of love for the Taurus', though I can see why.   I'll have to whittle down the plethora of TX22 offerings to one I like.

Then I'll have to make a choice between a .22LR handgun, or a CZ Scorpion 3+.  Tough life for me, folks. 🤣

Tough gun choices are unhealthy. You should find a way to get all of them.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, btq96r said:

Nice bait-and-switch there at the end. If I had CZ Scorpion 3+ money, that'd definitely be my choice, but I've been wanting to try that Taurus too because of all the praise it gets. Sounds to me like your question should be which one do I buy first, LOL.

• Like 1

I have a SW MP22c and the glock 44. I really enjoy my MP22c and it is a great suppressor host too. The glock 44 was a great training aid but I don't shoot it much as I am slowly moving away from glock and selling them off. Zero issues with the glock 44 but I would do the MP22c over it.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, BigK said:

Nice bait-and-switch there at the end. If I had CZ Scorpion 3+ money, that'd definitely be my choice, but I've been wanting to try that Taurus too because of all the praise it gets. Sounds to me like your question should be which one do I buy first, LOL.

It's nice to say I'll just buy everything I can afford, but like food gone to waste, I don't like the idea of buying guns that just sit there, especially new ones.  Aside from taking up space, getting a CZ isn't a one time contained purchase considering I'd put at least a micro red dot on it.  A decent plinker of a .22LR pistol is easier on cost, and diversifies my stable more than a Scorpion would.

But yeah, I'll get the Scorpion too someday.  😂

• Like 4

I’ll toss out another vote for the Taurus TX22! Bought one several years ago and it quickly became my favorite .22. So much so, that I gave my Ruger MkII Target pistol to my dad. I just never shot it anymore, after buying the Taurus. I’m very interested in buying the TX22 Compact model now.

• Like 2

You guys on TGO just won’t quit, will ya?  Here I am trying to downsize my gun collection and between you and my LGS, I keep adding to it! Now I want one of these guns.  Will it never end? Sheesh!  Maybe there’s a 12 step program for gun owners?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Defender said:

You guys on TGO just won’t quit, will ya?  Here I am trying to downsize my gun collection and between you and my LGS, I keep adding to it! Now I want one of these guns.  Will it never end? Sheesh!  Maybe there’s a 12 step program for gun owners?

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 5

I. have a bunch of .22 hand guns.  Not sure I could pick just one.  Strictly for target plinking I would probably go with my Ruger Mark IV with red dot for a semi and for for a revolver my Single Six 9.5” barrel.  I shoot those two the most.  If it is someone getting use to a hand gun with the idea of buying something bigger in the future I would pick my Ruger SR22.  I often drag out a selection of my handguns for a new shooter to try and 4 or 5 have  bought the SR22, one has bought a Mark IV, two have bought either a shorter Single 6 or the cheaper Heritage knock off.

I guess I'm a big Ruger fan, have more Ruger .22 hand guns than any other brand and shoot them the most. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, bubbadavis said:

There is - it's called the "gun a month" club! 🤣

I’m a member, but I didn’t get the 10 guns for a penny starter package!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
22 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I. have a bunch of .22 hand guns.  Not sure I could pick just one.  Strictly for target plinking I would probably go with my Ruger Mark IV with red dot for a semi and for for a revolver my Single Six 9.5” barrel.  I shoot those two the most.  If it is someone getting use to a hand gun with the idea of buying something bigger in the future I would pick my Ruger SR22.  I often drag out a selection of my handguns for a new shooter to try and 4 or 5 have  bought the SR22, one has bought a Mark IV, two have bought either a shorter Single 6 or the cheaper Heritage knock off.

I guess I'm a big Ruger fan, have more Ruger .22 hand guns than any other brand and shoot them the most. 

I agree. SR 22 is a great beginner's pistol. I like mine. If I didn't have it the TX22 would be at the top of my list for auto pistols, Not sure for revolvers. Low cost definitely Wrangler, but I do miss my old Single Six.

A .22 revolver is on my next to get list, after I get a Glock 21 out of layaway. I’ll probably go with one of the new Ruger Super Wranglers. Just wish they’d have made them a 9 shot instead of just 6. 🤨

I have a new recommendation.  Colt King Cobra 4”.  I had the great pleasure to put nearly 100 rounds through one today and am infatuated.  Not only is it extremely well made, but the accuracy and action are exceptional.  Also very well balanced. 

I’ve never been too big on stainless revolvers but that thing is so pretty I spent as much time admiring it as shooting it.

They aren’t inexpensive but might just be worth the cost.

Edited by Garufa

I have several 22s. I have a Sig Mosquito 22LR (good one), and a SW 3" ultralight 8 shot revolver 22LR, have a TX 22 Taurus which has become my favorite semi-auto. Also have a Taurus 8 shot 3" small frame 22 WMR. Love my 22's. 

On 6/8/2024 at 7:28 PM, Moped said:

A .22 revolver is on my next to get list, after I get a Glock 21 out of layaway. I’ll probably go with one of the new Ruger Super Wranglers. Just wish they’d have made them a 9 shot instead of just 6. 🤨

If you can find one they made single tens. 9 shot 22 revolvers are great though. 

originally typed single seven. Freudian slip since I want both.

Edited by papa61
  • Like 1
On 6/7/2024 at 6:23 PM, Defender said:

Anonymous Armed?  

Wait, there are storm troopers at my door now…..

No Mr Fed, I didn’t say that. Someone stole my identity 😆

On 6/7/2024 at 5:23 PM, Defender said:

Yeah. I'm kinda lusting for that Taurus. That's a first too.

• Like 1
On 6/8/2024 at 7:28 PM, Moped said:

A .22 revolver is on my next to get list

You won't do any better than a S&W .22 revolver. They come in several sizes from the small j-frame Model 34 to the larger K-frame Models 17 (6") and 18 (4"). All are outstanding guns. They ain't cheap, but worth every penny. 😍

My personal favorite is the 4" Model 18 on the bottom left. I shoot this gun more than any other gun I own and mostly in DA mode. I give this gun full credit for teaching me how to shoot a DA revolver. 👍

YpQD6kK.jpg?1

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

You won't do any better than a S&W .22 revolver. They come in several sizes from the small j-frame Model 34 to the larger K-frame Models 17 (6") and 18 (4"). All are outstanding guns. They ain't cheap, but worth every penny. 😍

My personal favorite is the 4" Model 18 on the bottom left. I shoot this gun more than any other gun I own and mostly in DA mode. I give this gun full credit for teaching me how to shoot a DA revolver. 👍

YpQD6kK.jpg?1

Those are some beauties right there! But I’m starting to have a strong relationship with this little pre Model 30 .32 S&W Long I got a couple of weeks ago. It’s making me think I don’t need another .22! 

• Like 2