Maverick Pump Shotgun

Guest Matchguy

Guest Matchguy

Walmart is marketing a Mossberg Maverick pump shotgun for $177. It appears to be nothing more than a Mossberg 500 with the safety moved from the tang to the trigger guard. Anybody here have any opinions about reliability? I'm thinking about buying one and shortening the barrel for home defense. The 4 shot mag is fine with me, I don't require a larger capacity.

MG

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walmart is marketing a Mossberg Maverick pump shotgun for $177. It appears to be nothing more than a Mossberg 500 with the safety moved from the tang to the trigger guard. Anybody here have any opinions about reliability? I'm thinking about buying one and shortening the barrel for home defense. The 4 shot mag is fine with me, I don't require a larger capacity.

MG

Sounds like a bargain to me.

The only other thing you'll find in that general price range is from China.

Guest bkelm18

From what I understand, the Maverick is essentially a 500, of course with the safety in a different location and of a slightly lower build quality.

MG

Word on net is they work fine. Ultimate longevity compared to the 500/590 or Remmie 870 unknown.

I think their Maverick line is still at least assembled in US from foreign made parts.

("Mossberg" plinksters are made in Brazil as is some of their other stuff.)

- OS

I have one, and cut the barrel down to 18 1/2" for home defense. It's not my primary HD weapon, but I am more than confident it will do what I need it to do, when i need it to do it. 6 shot (2 3/4") magazine tube should be plenty for most situations.

Just a shade over 150 shells through it, and it's been just as flawless as any other shotgun I've owned.

I purchased mine from Academy Sports for $159.

Guest Moss88hunter

I have had one for two years, it was the first gun that I bought when I turned 18. They are great guns...evrybody likes to badmouth them because they are cheaper than a 500 without any actual experience with them. I have put about 2,500 rounds through mine. I have put mine through he!!. I have hunted everything everything but deer just about with it. I have the 18 1/2in. barrel as well. The magazine tube on most of them holds 5+1. The only other thing that is different is the forearm rails but they can be converted. Buy the gun you won't be disappointed!

Evan

Mavericks are made of foreign parts assembled in Texas. Here is a link to their site. It can also be found on the Mossberg site under firearms at the very bottom.

They also sell mavericks at Academy sports Academy sells both bird and home defense while walmart only carries the bird gun.

88 Field

I have heard they are good guns. I almost bought one but spend the money on something else. I like the fact that the safety is on the trigger housing vs the receiver. I have never cared for that feature on the Mossbergs.

I had a plinkster until this year and it shot just as good as my tricked out 10/22 but without all the aftermarket stuff.

I bought 2 of them for my boys...10 and 15, in 20 ga. Over 500 rounds in each and not a hiccup....most parts are interchangeable with the 500...purchased a Hogue overmold youth stock for the 10 yr old and it bolted right on. Also, we bought fully rifled cantilever barrels for them to use some during deer season (for the 500 as well)...$175 with scopes and no issues at all...they are a great buy.

I've had one for a number of years they are great for the money.. No problems at all.. Mine is the 28 in barrel I mainly use it for fun, skeet etc.. Mine has the double arms for the pump action but single action rail. From what I hear the newer ones have the dual action rail.

Guest abailey362

everyone hates on the 500/590 safety on top, but i prefer it over trigger guard mounted. it also makes it a lot easier to shoot left if you ever had to.

a 500 was my first shotgun and I shoot a 590 now, so i may be a bit biased though

I own 3 500s. 1 835 and a Maverick 88. Maverick is on duty at bedside. Good basic gun, no frills and utterly dependable. In a pump shotgun the minor differences in final finishing of most parts is not nearly as critical as in high end semi-autos. The Mossys are for hunting, the Maverick in cruiser mode is for HD, I like the simplicity! Only mods are a high viz bead and a Limb Saver Recoil Pad. It is my lock and load gun when the ADT alarm goes off!

9E8850886C1A4DD0B64B263C0E55A134.jpg