Hiking boots?

Went hiking at Natural Bridge State Park, in eastern Kentucky's Red River Gorge, yesterday. We rode the cable gondolas to the top of the mountain and hiked over, and under the bridge. We rode the cable down to the parking lot after our short hike. Had my wife, daughter, her husband, and son in tow. Was a great afternoon. Was up there visiting family. Wore sneakers. 

Was very proud of myself after having a heart attack back on April 15th and climbing over 40 very uneven steps, hewn out of limestone, out from under the bridge and back to the top. Did not need to stop one time. No heart pain or shortness of breath. Cardiac Rehab is working well for me. Went this morning to C Rehab and attending 3 days per week for 3 months. Life is grand, however to "GOD" goes the glory. He is taking care of me and I praise "Him". 

• Like 6
On 5/19/2024 at 8:21 AM, Tom B said:

Low tennis shoes dont support your ankle, if you are actually doing some real hiking you want boots high enough to support and protect your ankle while walking up and down steep, rocky trails. I'd hate to twist my ankle and have to walk several miles (or farther) back to the car.

You also want to wear the boots around your house a few times to break them in.

My every day shoe is a Hi-tec Altitude boot, I wear those hiking also.

Current trends and many serious hikers including thru hikers on the AT and PCT are going exactly the opposite direction. Over the ankle and heavy hiking boots are not favored by many hikers. Lots of really good options in low light weight shoes that look more like cross trainers than traditional hikers. They utilize similar base and sole construction to old school boots but the uppers are more tennis shoe like. Much lighter, less fatigue when putting on the miles or long trail days. 
I still have a pair of Keen hiking "boots" but have gone to low top hikers almost exclusively. Wore out a set of Merrells and am currently on a set of Keen Headout's. 

• Admin Team

I have the X Ultra 3's wide in a low top.  I've used them for trail running and hiking.  They work great, even grip well in water / wet rocks.  I've read the 4's had a slight design change and are a little bit tighter than the 3's so you might try to find a pair of 3's to try also.

Well I picked up the x ultra 4 mid boots. Really comfortable new. I've got to put some miles in before June 10. I've got a week of hiking and kayaking coming. Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1
On 5/19/2024 at 9:09 AM, tacops said:

I have had really good luck with Merrill boots.  They have pretty good insoles to start with.  Peejman said it true.  Good insoles make all the difference.

I own two pair of Merrells - perfect fit for me with the best arch

• Like 1