People Getting Stretched to Limit. Credit Card Balances Soar.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Simple no one. 

I'm in manufacturing, no experience needed we'll/I'll train you, what that gets you is someone with a pulse, pretty much no common sense or clueless about quality of what they do.  The owner kept bumping the pay by a buck and hr to what I feel is fair for the area we are in, still get chit, rolls out a incentive program for perfect attendance $50 a week on top of your pay (free $1.25hr pay bump) and they can't even do that...

We are Doomed

There absolutely are still minimum wage jobs filled currently. Fast food jobs for high school kids and young adults that still live at home, which is a significant amount of people. Food service, in general, still employs people at minimum wage. It's easy to forget there are plenty of people that are supported by others that don't have to solely rely on their paycheck to survive, especially in more rural areas where local job opportunities are limited. 

There are more than just big cities with dense populations of adults fighting to stay afloat. When you have businesses in those parts full of people and you still can't fill those positions even as you increase the pay, it's not a minimum wage issue, it's a people issue. When primary schools turned into hardcore indoctrination camps, they forgot that they still needed to create worker bees in the process. That said, here we are.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LangdoniousRex said:

There absolutely are still minimum wage jobs filled currently. Fast food jobs for high school kids and young adults that still live at home, which is a significant amount of people. Food service, in general, still employs people at minimum wage. It's easy to forget there are plenty of people that are supported by others that don't have to solely rely on their paycheck to survive, especially in more rural areas where local job opportunities are limited. 

There are more than just big cities with dense populations of adults fighting to stay afloat. When you have businesses in those parts full of people and you still can't fill those positions even as you increase the pay, it's not a minimum wage issue, it's a people issue. When primary schools turned into hardcore indoctrination camps, they forgot that they still needed to create worker bees in the process. That said, here we are.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics only 1.7% of workers make minimum wage. The harm of raising minimum wage isn't just in forcing companies to pay more for labor than it's worth for under 2% of the workforce. The harm is that most union labor contracts contain automatic pay increases when minimum wage increase and the industries that rely on unskilled minimum wage labor see drastic hits on their labor costs, forcing huge price increases that consumers won't pay (resulting in fewer jobs for unskilled workers).

Edited by BigK
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, LangdoniousRex said:

we can agree to disagree, just checked indeed in my working town, McDonalds crew member $13 right now, during covid  their sign said $19......     

Nobody wants to work while their sucking on .gov tits for that free money, hand outs for food and housing.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Johnny Rotten said:

we can agree to disagree, just checked indeed in my working town, McDonalds crew member $13 right now, during covid  their sign said $19......     

Nobody wants to work while their sucking on .gov tits for that free money, hand outs for food and housing.

$13/hr and up to $13/hr are not the same thing. In nearby KY, McDonalds is advertising up to $10/hr. That top end isn't really that far above minimum.

• Moderators

I feel for anyone trying to survive on low income but I know many people making 6 figure incomes who are drowning in credit card debt. Discipline and living within your means is the key. A great friend and mentor never made much money but in the end he was very well off financially in retirement. 

The credit card system is an insane money making machine. They charge the business hefty fees and then insane interest rates for anyone who carries a balance. I'm a ninja using credit cards. Drives my wife nuts having her use a different card at times because of the rebates, points etc. If you never carry a balance you would be amazed the amount of money you can generate from them. They've bought me a lot of guns and ammo. 

The real sad thing is how the consumer and the business owner have been programmed. I always offer to pay by check or cash with many businesses and most prefer I use a credit card. Being in the insurance industry I do know some businesses can no longer accept cash or checks due to theft, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...